Author Topic: Little Is Off Limits as Donald Trump Plans Attacks on Hillary Clinton  (Read 1211 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/17/us/politics/donald-trump-hillary-clinton.html?rref=collection%2Fnewseventcollection%2FPresidential%20Election%202016&action=click&contentCollection=Politics&module=Collection&region=Marginalia&src=me&version=newsevent&pgtype=article&_r=0

Little Is Off Limits as Donald Trump Plans Attacks on Hillary Clinton

By PATRICK HEALYMAY 16, 2016

Donald J. Trump plans to throw Bill Clinton’s infidelities in Hillary Clinton’s face on live television during the presidential debates this fall, questioning whether she enabled his behavior and sought to discredit the women involved.

Mr. Trump will try to hold her accountable for security lapses at the American consulate in Benghazi, Libya, and for the death of Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens there.

And he intends to portray Mrs. Clinton as fundamentally corrupt, invoking everything from her cattle futures trades in the late 1970s to the federal investigation into her email practices as secretary of state.

Drawing on psychological warfare tactics that Mr. Trump used to defeat “Lyin’ Ted” Cruz, “Little Marco” Rubio and “Low-Energy” Jeb Bush in the Republican primaries, the Trump campaign is mapping out character attacks on the Clintons to try to increase their negative poll ratings and bait them into making political mistakes, according to interviews with Mr. Trump and his advisers.

Another goal is to win over skeptical Republicans, since nothing unites the party quite like castigating the Clintons. Attacking them could also deflect attention from Mr. Trump’s vulnerabilities, such as his treatment of women, some Trump allies say.

For Mrs. Clinton, the coming battle is something of a paradox. She has decades of experience and qualifications, but it may not be merit that wins her the presidency — it may be how she handles the humiliations inflicted by Mr. Trump.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline RedHead

Expect Clinton's surrogates to respond in kind. 

It's easier to attack her personally than try to promote his positions suggestions.

Offline libertybele

Trump will only be able to attack Hillary on personality and target Bill.  That's already getting real old ... that's last election's news.  If he starts attacking and targeting her on issues he will only make himself look like the bombastic orange buffoon he really is.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
  That's already getting real old ... that's last election's news. 

It's the same old rehash of tired crapola from a generation ago.   It didn't stick then, it won't stick now.   There ARE some more recent scandals, most notably the naked influence peddling of the Clinton Foundation.  Unfortunately,  Trump can't make that case, since he gave money to the Clinton Foundation and is much an establishment insider as the Clintons themselves.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
These attacks won't stick coming from Trump.  That's why it was a mistake to nominate someone just as immoral and corrupt as Hill and Bill.  If a Tump wanted to defeat Hillary, he should have been supportive of Ted Cruz instead of assassinating his character with malicious lies and false narratives.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
It's the same old rehash of tired crapola from a generation ago.   It didn't stick then, it won't stick now.   There ARE some more recent scandals, most notably the naked influence peddling of the Clinton Foundation.  Unfortunately,  Trump can't make that case, since he gave money to the Clinton Foundation and is much an establishment insider as the Clintons themselves.

Exactly. The biggest recent scandal of the Clinton Crime Family had  Trump as a willing participant.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline r9etb

Maybe -- it depends on what the attacks were intended to accomplish.  I think Trump could actually gain some headway if he handles it properly.

For one thing, there's new ammunition.  Hillary's millions from speeches, and the appearance of quid pro quo for Bill's speeches, and the unbelievable graft committed by the Clinton Foundation -- none of those have really been hashed out in the context of the voting public.  This would almost certainly raise the level of disgust among normal people, who are already strongly disposed to recognizing her hypocrisy.

For another, there's her record as SoS -- the outright disasters with respect to Russia, the Middle East, and so on: there's fertile ground there if Trump's campaign can hit them in an adult and responsible way.  (This, I admit, is a very forlorn hope....)

Finally, there's the Bernie Sanders factor, which is new and different this time around.  The Machiavellian strategy would be to so damage Clinton's image among Bernie voters that it would prevent them from holding their noses and pulling the lever for Hillary.  This has a good chance of succeeding to some degree: even if none of them would vote for Trump, they also wouldn't vote for her.

On that note, a great many of the Bernie voters are young and almost certainly unaware of the pattern of corruption that defines Hillary's public life.  Many young people are predisposed to distrust her, even if they can't put their fingers on why.  The new scandals are new to them, and really rank with hypocrisy.  And the old scandals are new to them, also.  So Hillary's vote count is probably pretty vulnerable among that demographic. 

Among the older Bernie voters .... well, I think the hypocrisy rankles them, too.  Many of these will vote for her in the spirit of #NeverTrump, but I think some large number of them will not. 

geronl

Trump won't stick to the issues and his suggestions....

why am I not surprised. Attacking Bill Clinton (who will then be admitted to a hospital for something and the media fawning) while purging the GOP of conservatives, is not a winning strategy

He is going to hand this election to the Democrats in a landslide.

geronl

Maybe -- it depends on what the attacks were intended to accomplish.  I think Trump could actually gain some headway if he handles it properly.

Trump has also had many affairs. Trump was also paid millions for speeches (by scam operators using his name and reputation). Trump also is involved with the Clinton Foundation.

It's a stupid strategy to attack on those things.

Offline r9etb

Trump has also had many affairs. Trump was also paid millions for speeches (by scam operators using his name and reputation). Trump also is involved with the Clinton Foundation.

It's a stupid strategy to attack on those things.

Well, I don't think he'll gain himself any votes this way; but I think it's reasonable to predict that these sorts of attacks might at least deny votes to Hillary.

Trump has the "advantage" of not minding (and even reveling in) a good roll in the mud, whereas Clinton's only hope is to try to seem clean by comparison. 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Well, I don't think he'll gain himself any votes this way; but I think it's reasonable to predict that these sorts of attacks might at least deny votes to Hillary.

Trump has the "advantage" of not minding (and even reveling in) a good roll in the mud, whereas Clinton's only hope is to try to seem clean by comparison.

Are you actually saying the Clintons don't revel in a good roll in the mud?    :facepalm2:

« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 07:21:24 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline r9etb

Are you actually saying the Clintons don't revel in a good roll in the mud?    :facepalm2:

The Clintons excel at rolling other people in the mud.  Trump, on the other hand.....
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 07:32:29 pm by r9etb »