Author Topic: Amtrak's for-profit regulation  (Read 911 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Amtrak's for-profit regulation
« on: May 12, 2016, 05:49:07 pm »
Amtrak's for-profit regulation George Will

In 1906, Leonor Loree, an accomplished railroad executive, examined the dilapidated Kansas City Southern Railroad that he had been hired to rehabilitate. Dismayed, he permanently enriched American slang by exclaiming: "This is a helluva way to run a railroad!" Judge Janice Rogers Brown of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, the nation’s second-most important court, recently said, with judicial decorousness, essentially the same thing about Amtrak.

She was not referring to its 46 consecutive years of operating losses, which include $306 million last year, and more than $16 billion since 1970, when Congress created Amtrak as a federally chartered, for-profit corporation. Rather, Brown was referring to how Congress, by piling "anomaly on top of anomaly," has made Amtrak into a "wholly unique statutory creature" — one empowered to regulate its competitors. Amtrak illustrates the administrative state’s routine drift into constitutional impropriety.

In 2008, Congress passed the Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act (PRIIA), which endowed Amtrak with the powers of a regulatory agency that makes decisions, in conjunction with the Transportation Department, about scheduling, uses of available tracks, maintenance and other metrics and standards that compel certain behavior by the entire U.S. rail industry. Freight rail entities, which actually are private, understandably objected, and the D.C. Circuit agreed with them that PRIIA was an unconstitutional delegation of governmental regulatory power to a private entity.

Read more at http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/will051216.php3#u3mORX2MQzapb1CT.99

Good read. Great examples of government double speak, incompetence, and corruption on wheels.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Amtrak's for-profit regulation
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 05:51:23 pm »
Scamtrak is the beast that just won't die. The Acela is nice, but non-Acela scamtrak is worthless IMO, if you've ever used it.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 06:26:30 pm »
I've never had the pleasure(?) of riding on Amtrak, though I would love to take the train to Glacier Park Montana. I remember reading years ago that trains averaged two hours late and that being over eight hours late was not unheard of.

Beast that won't die is right. It's the Federal Leviathan on wheels.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

geronl

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 02:36:45 am »
AMTRAK loses billions, they are taxpayer funded

geronl

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 02:37:44 am »
AMTRAK from Ft Worth (or near it) to San Antonio takes about the same time as taking Greyhound.

seriously.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 03:18:44 pm »
AMTRAK from Ft Worth (or near it) to San Antonio takes about the same time as taking Greyhound.

seriously.
Let me guess which is cheaper...

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 03:45:05 pm »
"Amtrak' and 'profit' should not only appear in the same sentence, they shouldn't appear on the same page!

Kill it! Kill it with FIRE!!
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!