Author Topic: Lt Gov: Texas will forego federal funds over LGBT policy  (Read 958 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Lt Gov: Texas will forego federal funds over LGBT policy
« on: May 13, 2016, 08:44:17 pm »
Lt Gov: Texas will forego federal funds over LGBT policy

[JONATHAN DREW and PAUL J. WEBER]
May 13, 2016

https://www.yahoo.com/news/official-texas-forego-federal-funds-over-lgbt-policy-152404674.html

snip

Texas' lieutenant governor said the state is prepared to forfeit billions rather than let the Obama administration dictate restroom policy for its 5.2 million students.

"We will not be blackmailed by the president's 30 pieces of silver," Republican Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said.

Similarly, GOP Gov. Asa Hutchinson of Arkansas said schools should disregard the directive, which he derided as "social engineering."

Rodney Cavness, superintendent of the Port Neches-Groves school district in Texas, told KFDM-TV: "When I get that letter, I'll throw it away."

Governors and top leaders in several other conservative states issued sharply worded statements against the guidance but stopped short of telling schools to ignore it.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Lt Gov: Texas will forego federal funds over LGBT policy
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 10:22:46 pm »
THIS is how the states must respond to the fedGOV.

"Thanks, but NO thanks...."

Silver Pines

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 10:23:42 pm »

I can't describe the respect I have for Texas.  Every other state in the country needs to stand up with them and say no to this insanity.

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 10:24:18 pm »
Good! that is how they all need to respond to feds.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 10:36:25 pm »
Good! that is how they all need to respond to feds.

Yes - that's how they own you. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 10:48:42 pm »
Imagine what would happen if most states did this.... Just wishing out loud !!

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 10:55:32 pm »
I'm just wondering, as a Texan, where Patrick's going to get $10 billion?

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 11:25:23 pm »
Imagine what would happen if most states did this.... Just wishing out loud !!

I've been trying to imagine what will happen if most states don't do this....If it truly takes 10 Billion dollars, we can do it. I believe we can cut back enough to accomplish what we need to.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 11:27:33 pm »
I've been trying to imagine what will happen if most states don't do this....If it truly takes 10 Billion dollars, we can do it. I believe we can cut back enough to accomplish what we need to.

How?  Exactly how?

You want the state to cut back over bathrooms?

• Native Texan
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 12:17:42 am »
You want the state to cut back over bathrooms?

I can't tell you "exactly how".  But I do know with every governmental entity there are ways to cut back that are never even missed. 

Do I want the state to cut back over bathrooms?  That makes it sound so ordinary.  This is about more than bathrooms. Texas can do it, Texas should do and so should the other states.

Offline Charlespg

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 01:04:40 am »
 :thumbsup3:
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 01:17:38 am »
I can't tell you "exactly how".  But I do know with every governmental entity there are ways to cut back that are never even missed. 

Do I want the state to cut back over bathrooms?  That makes it sound so ordinary.  This is about more than bathrooms. Texas can do it, Texas should do and so should the other states.

Texas is not going to cut $10 billion from its budget. Can't afford to. Nothing will happen until courts decide anyway.

• Native Texan
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 02:23:07 am »
Nothing will happen until courts decide anyway.

In that case, Dan said the right thing.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 02:54:03 am »
Texas isn't cutting the budget.  Obama is cutting the budget.  So you agree with Obama or you just want to use women's restrooms?  I don't get your position at all.  How about ask the ladies and girls of Texas what they want?  Obama has no right to blackmail them.  The person to be questioned is Obama, not the Lt. Gov. who is merely standing up for the people of Texas.  This is not difficult.  Men use the men's room and women the women's room based on actual God given parts and not emotion.

California has had this in effect in law for two years and I couldn't find a single incident of pervs assaulting women in restrooms. 

I just think this is overblown.  Transgender women are in women's restrooms now and nobody even notices.  Did you know that?

Offline Hank Rearden

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 03:41:21 am »

1. Some of the funds are for school breakfasts, lunches, and after school care for the "poor." Start by insisting on proof of citizenship before handing out welfare meals and taxpayer funded daycare. Bet there are many illegals in the mix would actually self-deport if Uncle Sugar subsidies started to get cut off. Major savings.

2. Bill Uncle Sam for all illegals sucking off the government tit for healthcare, education, incarceration in state prisons and local jails, etc.

3. Stop all state government remittances to the federal government.

4. Start passing laws that criminalize federal employee misconduct, such as the grab and gropes that occur by TSA at Texas airports. Include hefty fines as part of the penalties for each crime.

5. Charge state cooperation fees for anything Uncle Sam wants. If fed gov needs a copy of a police report, that will be $25,000.

6. Set up speed traps and start picking off every fed gov vehicle that commits a traffic infraction. Bill D.C.

7. Get creative. Be the biggest pain in the back side these a-holes have ever seen until they either capitulate or let Texas go independent peacefully.

...and don't forget there's a Dallas branch of the Fed Reserve. Take it over, print the shortfall, and tell D.C. to go pound sand.

"The enemy never sees the backs of my Texans." - Gen. Robert E. Lee

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 03:45:59 am »

We can do without it! It's all just our money coming back with strings attached in the first place!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Variant

• Down with populism...
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2016, 01:22:11 pm »
We can do without it! It's all just our money coming back with strings attached in the first place!

Yep.  This sort of soft authoritarianism via the purse is one of the reasons states should have been extremely wary about accepting federal funds in the first place.

Every issue is "not a big deal" until you add them all up together and sometimes you need to take a stand.  Hope Texas sticks to its guns on this one...

I also hope this whole thing drives more progress on giving parents options on how to direct their education tax money.  The Federal Government's near monopoly on education has been a clear failure.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 02:56:54 pm »
Refuse and Resist – Obama’s bathroom diktat.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,206478.0.html

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2016, 02:13:29 am »
CNN)The Obama administration's directive on the use of school bathrooms by transgender students has provoked a torrent of criticism. It also marks a new front in America's long-running culture wars.

The latest battle over transgender rights and sexual identity comes in response to a joint letter Friday from the Departments of Education and Justice directing public schools to ensure that "transgender students enjoy a supportive and nondiscriminatory school environment."

Vanita Gupta, head of the Justice Department's civil rights division, addressed the issue Saturday in remarks at the University of Minnesota Law School commencement.

"Even after the Supreme Court's landmark gay marriage decision last year in Obergefell v. Hodges that guaranteed all people 'equal dignity in the eyes of the law,' we see new efforts to deny LGBTI individuals the respect they deserve and the protection our laws guarantee," she said.

"Efforts like House Bill 2 in North Carolina not only violate the laws that govern our nation, but also the values that define us as a people."

A legal standoff between the administration and North Carolina over the state's controversial House Bill 2 is part of a broader public debate on transgender rights in schools and public life. The statewide policy bans individuals from using public bathrooms that do not correspond to their biological sex and restricts cities from passing nondiscrimination laws.

The Obama administration directive goes beyond the bathroom issue to touch on privacy rights, education records and sex-segregated athletics. And that has unleashed a fierce backlash from ministers, parents and politicians who say the federal government has gone too far.

Read more: http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/14/politics/transgender-bathrooms-backlash/index.html
The Republic is lost.

Offline eartick

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2016, 11:56:51 am »

From withholding the money from the money they send to the FERAL Government for starters.

Texas is a donor State.  We donate each year to the FERAL Government 400 billion dollars and get back 160 billion.  Surely, our comptroller can find 10 billion in the books to withhold sending to the Muslim in Chief to fund the schools.

This is called Independence. 

This is what Texas fought for in 1836 and this is what we should return to.  The Republic of Texas
Spent 9 years with buds on the border----a wall will not stop illegals.

Only Citizens armed to the teeth will stop this illegal invasion.

Offline oldmomster

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2016, 12:04:14 pm »
From withholding the money from the money they send to the FERAL Government for starters.

Texas is a donor State.  We donate each year to the FERAL Government 400 billion dollars and get back 160 billion.  Surely, our comptroller can find 10 billion in the books to withhold sending to the Muslim in Chief to fund the schools.

This is called Independence. 

This is what Texas fought for in 1836 and this is what we should return to.  The Republic of Texas

agree, but dems are sneaky slimey criminals that will stop at nothing.  When Texas said they would not have DHS molestors in airports , I believe FAA threatened to stop all flights from landing in the state.  Hope Texas can show the rest of the geldings how it's done.