Author Topic: Two Things Could Doom the GOP in Key Senate Races - Trump and Latinos  (Read 319 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
We know that we're screwed with either Trump or Hillary. Our focus should be trying to maintain our seats in the House and Senate. I'm especially concerned about Florida.  Not only do we have a heavy Cuban population, but Puerto Rican as well -- that doesn't bode well for Trump and with Rubio planning on leaving I don't see that we're going to hang on to that Senate seat. That is one reason I am glad that Scott turned Trump down for the VP position.  We need to hold on to our Republican governorship.  He very narrowly won re-election in 2014 by 1.2%.  My hunch is Hillary's VP is going to Julian Castro and she will take Florida...that will be the beginning of the DEM landslide.

Two things could doom the GOP in key Senate races -- Trump and Latinos

This year’s electorate will be the most diverse in U.S. history, which makes it almost ironic that this election season has also been one of the most divisive against virtually every minority group.

MSNBC Live, 3/20/16, 9:18 AM ET
Can Trump win presidency without Latino vote?

NBCNews.com’s Raul Reyes, News radio 610 WIOD host Fernand Amandi and Republican strategist Gian-Carlo Peressutti discuss if there’s any chance Latinos could still get behind Donald Trump.

This isn’t just a problem for the Republican Party in rallying behind a demagogue as its presidential nominee, Donald Trump. It could spin into substantial losses lower down the ballot, where vulnerable Republicans are clinging to control in the Senate.

The timing couldn’t be worse for the GOP. More than half of the key competitive races in November are in states with the largest growth of eligible Hispanic voters. Latinos are expected to make up a record 12 percent of all eligible voters in 2016, almost equally rivaling the influence of blacks.

Democrats would need to pick up at least five Senate seats in order to clinch the majority. While perhaps a year ago that would have seemed like a moonshot, today it’s not so out of reach.

Florida

A massive migration wave from Puerto Rico stands to turn this perennial purple state a darker shade of blue. The rapid demographics change has Florida’s Puerto Rican population now rivaling that of Cuban Americans, who have long been a politically active Republican stronghold.

The fresh influx of eligible Hispanic voters could turn on a bright light for Democrats. They already have an edge over Republicans in voter registration of Hispanics, which accounted for 88 percent of the Democratic Party’s growth over the last decade, according to the Pew Research Center.

This should make things interesting in the race to replace Republican Sen. Marco Rubio’s open seat. Rubio exited the presidential contest badly bruised and with no intention of running for re-election. But the option is still technically open. Rubio has until late June to get his name on the ballot in what has already become a crowded candidate field....

... Key to Latino political power: engagement

Gabriela Castillo, an immigration lawyer in Long Island, NY, talks about the rhetoric on the campaign trail and why it is important for communities of color to engage in civil society.

The Libre Initiative, a Hispanic outreach group bankrolled by the Koch brothers, is widening its footprint in states with burgeoning Latino communities in hopes to expand results two-fold – integrate in communities as they grow and mobilize voters to support conservative candidates.

“We want to make sure that we’re grooming the next generation of Latino voters and educating the current generations,” Daniel Garza, executive director of the Libre Initiative, said. “While in communities like Florida and Nevada, you try to establish your brand, when it comes to North Carolina and Wisconsin, we’re going to grow with the communities.”

Trump’s candidacy has caused massive headaches for groups like Libre in attempts to woo Latinos.

Republican candidates up for re-election in both states, Sen. Richard Burr in North Carolina and Sen. Ron Johnson in Wisconsin, have kept purposefully vague in their support of Trump. Neither has seen the benefit of jumping enthusiastically behind a candidate that wants to deport 11 million undocumented immigrants....

...You know there’s a problem when the former Republican presidential nominee says he’s concerned about his prospects of reclaiming a seat he’s held since the mid-1980s.

Sen. John McCain said last month that Trump would doom down-ballot candidates – even himself...

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/two-things-could-doom-the-gop-key-senate-races-trump-and-latinos
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
I bumped this not so much because of the potential damage Trump has on the party, but I think it is extremely critical to refocus our efforts on maintaining our Congressional seats.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.