Author Topic: Let’s Don’t Put On a Show ...By Kevin D. Williamson  (Read 289 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Let’s Don’t Put On a Show ...By Kevin D. Williamson
« on: May 13, 2016, 12:46:12 pm »
http://www.nationalreview.com/node/435335/print

Let’s Don’t Put On a Show
A conspectus against political grandiosity
By Kevin D. Williamson — May 13, 2016

The only thing I know about Kasim Reed is that he’s the mayor of Atlanta and I hate him.

If you’ve had the experience of going through the Atlanta airport recently, you’ll be familiar with the deeply grating voice of Mayor Reed, who greets travelers with self-aggrandizing North Korea–style loudspeaker announcements in which he extols the virtues of his boring, sweaty little city and labors mightily to associate himself with military men. It’s the 500-megawatt-amplifier version of those dumb signs in which Governor Andrew Cuomo welcomes Fairfield County commuters to New York every time they cross the line from Connecticut: Using public infrastructure for purely self-promotional purposes, as though all of New York State were a gubernatorial fiefdom and all of Atlanta Kasim Reed’s personal playground.

I may have mentioned before that I detest the State of the Union address, that batty, pseudo-monarchical pageant that serves as the Easter Vigil Mass in the presidential cult. And while that horrifying spectacle may be the worst of our national offenses against good taste and republican manners, there are a few other similar indicators of the fact that our political leaders sometimes forget who works for whom.

continued
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

Re: Let’s Don’t Put On a Show ...By Kevin D. Williamson
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 12:54:21 pm »
Kevin Williamson is so readable.  One should never miss one of his columns:

Using titles for life. Who are these people I see on the Sean Hannity show? Speaker Gingrich? Governor Palin? Who is this Secretary Clinton people talk about? Newt Gingrich hasn’t been speaker of the House since the tail end of the last century, and the years that have passed since he was speaker are many more than the years he served in that role; Sarah Palin hasn’t been a governor since Nickelback had a hit with “Gotta Be Somebody.” Article I, Section 9, Clause 8 is pretty clear on titles of nobility, but we’ve invented phony, down-market substitutes, transmogrifying political job titles (“Leader McConnell,” really?) into substitutes for old-fashioned Sirs and Lords and Viscounts. The proper way to refer to the former governor of Alaska is “Mrs. Palin.” She isn’t “Governor Palin,” because she isn’t the governor. Governor Walker is the governor.

These phony titles never made sense to me either.  The only one I agree with is "Former President."  Gingrich and Walker quit their jobs so why should they be accorded any special respect at all?

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.