Author Topic: Behold, the largest plane in the US Air Force  (Read 1139 times)

rangerrebew

Behold, the largest plane in the US Air Force
« on: May 13, 2016, 10:16:05 am »
Behold, the largest plane in the US Air Force
Business Insider

Alex Lockie, Business Insider

http://www.techinsider.io/pictures-of-us-air-force-c5-galaxy-2016-5

At 222 feet across, almost 300 feet long, and 65 feet tall at its tail, Lockheed Martin's C-5 Galaxy is the largest transport aircraft in the US Air Force. With a cargo hull 121 feet long and 19 feet across, the C-5 is a flying warehouse that can carry a combat-ready military unit or deliver necessary supplies anywhere in the world.

The C-5 has a cargo capacity of 142 tons, the equivalent of carrying two M1A1 Abrams tanks, six greyhound buses, or 25,844,746 ping-pong balls. Below, see just how awesome the C-5's carrying capacity is.
View As: One Page
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 10:16:42 am by rangerrebew »

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Re: Behold, the largest plane in the US Air Force
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 05:31:39 pm »
I worked on A & B models at Dover, AFB in the mid '80s...the C-5M is a much improved upgrade over what I worked on.

New engines, avionics and other upgrades have made it even more capable than before.

Thanks for posting.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 05:50:00 pm »
Now that's an impressive transport plane. On a side note, it gives you some serious respect for the weight of an M1A1 Abrams when a 'flying warehouse' can only carry two.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 05:52:25 pm »
I worked on A & B models at Dover, AFB in the mid '80s...the C-5M is a much improved upgrade over what I worked on.

New engines, avionics and other upgrades have made it even more capable than before.

Thanks for posting.

I thought they were retiring these with the C-21 being used instead??  Great plane though.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 06:09:10 pm »
I thought they were retiring these with the C-21 being used instead??  Great plane though.
@driftdiver

I think you mean the C-17?  It's more of an intermediate lifter, can get into smaller fields.

Some of the C-5A models are in the boneyard, and from what I recall, only about half of the fleet is being upgraded to M status.

Here's more detailed information...

http://www.af.mil/AboutUs/FactSheets/Display/tabid/224/Article/104492/c-5-abc-galaxy-c-5m-super-galaxy.aspx

Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.