Author Topic: Cruz: Those who bolstered Trump 'will bear that responsibility going forward'  (Read 122312 times)

Offline unknown

Quite honestly I see the mess that we are in due to two reasons; First, "We the People" have FAILED to hold our elected officials responsible and secondly, we in the past nominated candidates because of party affiliation rather than qualifications. 

The GOP seemingly in order to garner votes has leaned to the left compromising the very principles of the party.  It hasn't worked; it didn't work for McCain, and it didn't work for Romney.  That ironically is one of the reasons that Trump has the support that he does; he has sold the conservative electorate the notion that he won't lean to the left even though he's been leaning left most of his life.  Unfortunately, it is now, during the most critical election in decades, that "We the People" are refusing to vote for a liberal, regardless if he has an 'R' by his name.  Yes, those who bolstered Trump WILL bear that responsibility going forward ... I believe he will give us Hillary Clinton and I don't see that GOP maintaining the majority nor seeing the oval office for decades.

I agree with most of what you have said. Except that I don't think that ""We the People" have FAILED to hold our elected officials responsible."

Romney and McCain are two examples where "We the People" have said NO! So many of "We the people" that I know refused to vote for either of those two establishment types. The GOPe gave them to us, and we were supposed to accept them.

Similarly as today we were supposed to just accept Jebbie.   :3:  Or maybe John Kasich.  :3:    No difference between any of the demoncrats, RINOs, R by their name, or GOPe. All the same people, insiders, corrupt, screw you and me, screw the people, pay the Clinton Foundation, get rich off of TPP, get rich off of selling secrets to China, get rich off of helping business in Mexico, get rich off of Saudis importing Islam into my backyard, blah blah blah blah blah!!   -- I don't think so!

So, yes, we are now left with a perceived anti-establishment type: Donald Trump! "We the People" have chosen him over Jebbie or John Kasich exactly because Trump is perceived as an anti-type. We know what the establishment is and what they look like - evil!! bring in an anti-establishment guy... break up the insiders and all the corruption!

"We the People" have spoken. Screw the demoncrats, RINOs, R by their name, GOPe, MSM, etc.

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

So, yes, we are now left with a perceived anti-establishment type: Donald Trump! "We the People" have chosen him over Jebbie or John Kasich exactly because Trump is perceived as an anti-type. We know what the establishment is and what they look like - evil!! bring in an anti-establishment guy... break up the insiders and all the corruption!

"We the People" have spoken. Screw the demoncrats, RINOs, R by their name, GOPe, MSM, etc.
The sad part is that Trump's anti-establishment gig is more perception than reality. He has grown rich being in bed with establishment types, no matter which side of the aisle they are on.
While I can't necessarily fault that in business, in politics it can easily be a disaster.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline unknown

@libertybele

Quite honestly I see the mess that we are in due to two reasons; First, "We the People" have FAILED to hold our elected officials responsible and secondly, we in the past nominated candidates because of party affiliation rather than qualifications. 

The GOP seemingly in order to garner votes has leaned to the left compromising the very principles of the party.  It hasn't worked; it didn't work for McCain, and it didn't work for Romney.  That ironically is one of the reasons that Trump has the support that he does; he has sold the conservative electorate the notion that he won't lean to the left even though he's been leaning left most of his life.  Unfortunately, it is now, during the most critical election in decades, that "We the People" are refusing to vote for a liberal, regardless if he has an 'R' by his name.  Yes, those who bolstered Trump WILL bear that responsibility going forward ... I believe he will give us Hillary Clinton and I don't see that GOP maintaining the majority nor seeing the oval office for decades.

And now this just in.....

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/08/politics/mitt-romney-donald-trump-summit/index.html?sr=twCNN060816mitt-romney-donald-trump-summit0641PMVODtopPhoto&linkId=25348571

Republican elites retreat to a Trump-safe space: Mitt Romney's place

Anti-Trump donors, ranging from tech CEO Meg Whitman to associates of hedge funder Paul Singer, are expected to make the rounds, sources said. Representatives for Whitman and Singer didn't comment.

Advisers don't expect Romney to evangelize against Trump in public, but the lineup of Trump foes is almost sure to send a signal.

blah blah blah blah blah....

The usual Jebbie and John Kasich GOPe, demoncrat and establishment types. No difference between them all: demoncrat, GOPe, RINOs, etc.

Establishment trying to take out the anti-establishment!

I won't be here after the election and vote.

If Hillary wins - I will be busy, BLOAT! (It won't be long before she won't let you buy.)

If Trump wins, I won't be here to GLOAT. (I don't want to hang around while everyone looks at every speck in his eye.)

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

Romney and McCain are two examples where "We the People" have said NO! So many of "We the people" that I know refused to vote for either of those two establishment types. The GOPe gave them to us, and we were supposed to accept them.

The GOPe didn't give them to you.  GOP primary voters did.  Your fellow "We the People".

Which actually illustrates why I hate that use of "We the People" when it comes to these kinds of discussions.  It really means "Me the People", as in "me and those who think like I do".  Because if you listen, you'll hear Bernie and his supporter, Hillary and her supporters, and lots of others call themselves "We the People".  Or to put it differently, "We the People" elected Barack Obama.  Twice.  So I'm not sure use of that collective is something to which we all should be so eager to embrace.

Similarly as today we were supposed to just accept Jebbie.   :3:  Or maybe John Kasich.  :3:

Again....I know people like to think of this malevolent "they" out there to screw us all over, but there is no "they".  There is only us, which means Joe Voter, who very often chooses candidates conservatives don't like.

Well, "You the People" are about to elect Donald Trump (unlikely) or Hillary Clinton (much more likely).

Online libertybele

I agree with most of what you have said. Except that I don't think that ""We the People" have FAILED to hold our elected officials responsible."

Similarly as today we were supposed to just accept Jebbie.   :3:  Or maybe John Kasich.  :3:    No difference between any of the demoncrats, RINOs, R by their name, or GOPe. All the same people, insiders, corrupt, screw you and me, screw the people, pay the Clinton Foundation, get rich off of TPP, get rich off of selling secrets to China, get rich off of helping business in Mexico, get rich off of Saudis importing Islam into my backyard, blah blah blah blah blah!!   -- I don't think so!

The problem of not holding our elected officials responsible and voting party rather than candidate has been going on long before McCain and Romney, although those elections can be seen perhaps as a milestone in "We the People" saying no more. It has taken us many election cycles to get to this point, but again, allowing our elected officials to remain in office because they have an 'R' in front of their name when they vote to the left is in part what got us here.  It also doesn't help that in the past we have had leaders in the House and Senate that pander to the left; namely McConnell and Boehner. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 01:43:04 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

The problem of not holding our elected officials responsible and voting party rather than candidate has been going on long before McCain and Romney, although those elections can be seen perhaps as a milestone in "We the People" saying no more. It has taken us many election cycles to get to this point, but again, allowing our elected officials to remain in office because they have an 'R' in front of their name when they vote to the left is in part what got us here.  It also doesn't help that in the past we have had leaders in the House and Senate that pander to the left; namely McConnell and Boehner.

I'm not saying anyone should have voted for either McCain or Romney.  There were plenty of reasons good people of conscience might have decided to withhold their votes from either.

But your argument kind of illustrates the point I was making to @Norm Lenhart.  So, "We the People" stood up to McCain, and refused to vote for him so as to (so the argument goes) "send a message".  And what did that get us?  4 years of Obama, followed by Romney as the nominee.  So then "We the People" stood up to Romney, and refused to vote for him so as to "send (another) message".  And that got us another four years of Obama, plus Trump as the nominee in 2016.

So exactly where is the evidence that the desired message (presumably, you must nominate a conservative) was either sent, or received?  Such "statement" non-votes seem remarkably lacking in effectiveness if the goal is to force the party to nominate a conservative.  Again, my point is not that people should have voted for either of those guys.  It is that the expectation that a non-vote will send the desired signal, and that the desired signal will be acted upon favorably, is nothing but pure wishful thinking.

Honestly, I think the problem has been much more simple than that -- there simply has not been a candidate come forward who has had both 1) the required charisma/communications skills, and 2) solid, reliably conservative views.  In this last primary, we had Cruz who met the latter requirement in spades, but simply had a demeanor that turned off everyone except those whose hard conservative beliefs matched his.  And that is just way to small a percentage of the electorate to win the nomination, much less the general election.

We need better candidates, or the ones we have need to improve between now and 2020.  Period.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 01:52:36 am by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Norm Lenhart

Hi Bill, I'll take this one by one. Sorry for the formatting

_______
I don't think we disagree about where we are -- it's how we got here that is the issue.  So here are what I'd call the top four answers to "why"

1) A strong, charismatic conservative candidate for President has not arisen in the last 20 years.  That's why we haven't elected one.
_______

This speaks to people caring more for being entertained than in being governed Constitutionally. Pretty much the end result of Kardashians vs. the educational system. They both work to dumb down the populace. Pretty faces and being entertained are what people value.

_______
2) The core conservative constitutency that elected Reagan is a smaller, and shrinking, percentage of voters than it was in 1980 and 1984.  Therefore, the chances of electing a conservative have diminished over time, and we are electing fewer of them.
_______

There aren't may  of us left and  that's for sure.  Why we are not electing them is my entire point. Guys like Cruz are there. In the overwhelming number of elections there is a far more conservative option available. Perhaps not 'the ideal' conservative. But a 'more conservative' option that ALWAYS gets tanked because people want to WIN and do not give a tinkers dam what they win with.

In 12, EVERY GUY on that primary stage was more conservative than Romney. When you compare the records directly of Romney and Obama, there is solid evidence that the more conservative guy actually DID WIN. Obama at least gave lip service to traditional marriage at one point. But that aside, EVERY GUY on stage was the more conservative choice.

In 16, every guy on that stage was the more conservative choice than Trump. Likewise, every one. Now that is far from saying that most of them were WORTH voting for. But Trump, like Romney, has a record of their life and actions. There is no conservatism in them. There is a metric ton of liberalism.

There were better choices. Far better. They were put down to 'win'. We lost.

---------
3) Two significant structural problems with our system -- a) the rising dominance of the self-perpetuating administrative state, and b) the rise of an activist judiciary, that are festering, long term boils that are very difficult to lance.

---------

And who is perpetuating that state if not for the people we elect? How are these people getting to power if not without our votes to put them into office? As I said, they did not suddenly appear by magic. The situation perpetuates exactly BECAUSE of our choices as voters through the people we elect. If we collectively did not do OUR PART, they would simply not be there.

What logical outcome can be expected when the literal premise of electing someone is that they are not 'as evil' as someone else?  Clearly the objective is not fixing the problem. It's minimizing the damage compared to what some random other' would inflict.

How does a theoretically (and proven false via history) defensive action move us to offense? How does it put us in forward instead of 'tower defense' mode? It can't.

THEN you have put people that you have to ALSO defend against INSIDE THE TOWER. So NOW you have to not only defend against the enemy at the gate, you gotta defend against the people controlling the gate's controls. That is sheer madness.

---------
This question contains a fundamental premise with which I disagree -- that it is "the GOP" that throws candidates at us.  I believe it is the voters who select these candidates in the primaries that have "thrown" these candidates at us.  In other words (in the collective sense at least) we have seen the enemy, and it is us.   I think a lot of us self-described conservatives desperately want to believe that we are a near majority, but we're not.  The truth is, the voters themselves generally don't agree with us, which is why they keep nominating and electing representatives we don't like.
_______

-----------
When this occurs, the underlying problem is that we have failed to nominate a sufficiently conservative candidate.  That error cannot be corrected in the general election.  The second problem is that even if we do nominate a candidate that is insufficiently conservative, what does it say when the majority of voters reject him/her in favor of a candidate who is even more liberal?  That was the problem in 2008 and 2012.  Whatever sense of alarm we felt in nominating someone who wasn't conservative enough should be dwarfed by the recognition that a majority voted for the other guy even though he was even less conservative.

Again, this is the same disconnect.  It's not "the GOP" that is feeding us those candidates.  We voters are feeding them to ourselves.
-----------

OK. Where do these candidates that appear on the ballot come from?

First, the nature of a political party is to elect the people the party offers. The party, not the people provide support to who they choose to. Every single election John and Mike run for election. The party puts its resource behind one of the two. Finance, support from fellow elected officials etc. Even Reagan had to go outside the party to overcome his own party's mechanations against him. Trump had to BUY his way around it.

Reagan had the charisma. Thats a once in a lifetime event. Money is far easier to come up with. In any case, those are the exceptions and not the rule. Look at Thad Cochran. The party sided with Democrats to get him elected over the people. And once he was 'the guy', the PEOPLEthen did exactly what I said and hopped on the train then bitched at the outcome. Just as they did with Bhoner, Mitch and Ryan.

-----------
This is the core problem I have with your argument: you argue that not voting for a Republican candidate in the general election sends a clear message to the GOP (or in my mind, the voters) that they need to nominate someone more conservative four years down the road).  I do not believe that is the message that gets sent by not voting for the nominee.  First, I'd ask you where your evidence is of this message actually being sent and received?  McCain got clobbered by Obama in 2008.  By your logic, this should have sent the message to...whomever...that we must nominate a real conservative in 2012.  But that's not what happened.  The message either wasn't sent, or if sent, was not understood/received as predicted.
--------------

Then how does a party that is not in existence supposed to do anything at all? If you do not vote for liberal GOP and they keep losing, the money stops funding them, all the things that go with it, what is this ghost party going to do to force their liberals on anyone?

My entire argument/recipe for action has never once been tried. EVER. Not once has the electorate done anything but ....repeat their mistakes.... and elect/reelect the very people that have totally hosed this country.

60+ million people chose a guy that BBQ's corpses of children for profit and THAT is gonna fix America? THAT GUY? They tossed aside the other 16 better suited candidates. What message was sent?

The message sent was "No matter how vile a liberal you front, we will vote for them if you promise he will win and we don't GAF what he does once he gets there.

Because be honest. Mitt's record in office was not all over the map. It was to the far left of the map. People KNEW what he was and gave their blessing. Then lost. Badly.

Then Take Bhoner. A quarter century in office and the guy went from Generally Right side to COMPLETE CAPITULATION to Obama.

Mitch - Always centerist at best then strapped on a rocket pack and FLEW hard left ALSO capitulating as fast and hard as possible.

The American kept re electing them. The Party kept offering them. There was no reason for the party NOT to offer them. There was no reason for the party to support an opponent. What was Bhoner? 70% approval? People WANTED his leftism. So the GOP gave it to them. And never did the party say "Look, our guy hates the platform. We gotta stand for the whole point we exist!"

I think the message fails both on sending and receiving.  First, there are multiple potential "messages" that can be sent (or multiple interpretations, if you will) when a candidate loses a general election.  That's because there are multiple possible reasons why that candidate lost.  Maybe McCain lost because he was an old guy running against a young guy, so we need to nominate someone younger next time.  Maybe he lost because he was too white, and the electorate wants a minority next time.  Maybe he lost simply because he was less charismatic than Obama, so we need to focus on charisma.  Maybe he lost because he was running for the party that was being blamed for the wars and the recession.  Or maybe some think he lost because he was too conservative.  The point isn't which of these explanations is the most accurate in fact.  All that matters in terms of a message is what those voters (or "the GOP") believed to be the reason he lost, because that's the "message" that gets sent when he fails.
---------

There's only one message that matters. Your vote. When you give it, you give full consent and permission. These people have records. There is ZERO excuse. There is no "But". There is no takeback. You vote for Joe Smith, you get everything he is and your vote empowers all he does in office.

_______

Romney illustrates that point very well.  Again, he lost, so the GOP knew that for some reason, he was simply not sufficiently appealing to the electorate.  But why?  Your argument is that conservatives not casting a vote for him "sends the message" that they need to nominate a stronger conservative next time.  Obviously, that's not what happened.
_---------

Of course thats what happened. We did not vote for a liberal. We voted elswhere or stayed home. They did not get our vote because he was not only not a strong 'enough' conservative, he was not remotely conservative AT ALL.

The GOP was not unaware of Romneys record. They like his voters WANTED that record leading them. Am I to believe that the GOP and electorate put up a candidate that neither wanted to lead America? Am I to believe that 60+ million Americans are so uncaring of their country they simply did not know what that record was?

Am I to believe ANY of that?

------------
But more directly, other people reached a different conclusion as to why he lost.  A lot of them blamed his "47% comment" -- in other words, he was too much of a heartless conservative.  The GOP as an institution (via Priebus) and even Trump at the time, concluded that he lost (at least in part) because his plan for self-deporting illegals was to "mean-spirited" or exclusionary, and if we really want to win next time, we need to be more accommodating on illegal immigrants.
_________

No, people made excuses as to why they lost with a hard leftist running as a conservative that was easily taken apart because his entire mythos was a lie. And they will go to the end of the earth to excuse their role in it. His record exists. History exists. No excuse about %%%% alters the fact the guy lied faster than his heart beat. All those memes with a hundred mouths on his face didn't get their basis in fantasy.

Romney as Trump is wholly unacceptable to the majority of America, left, right or otherwise. Thats why someone of Hillary's evil is neck and neck. Thats why he has record low approval on the right.

And thats why, once again, enough of us will stand on principle to ensure he loses. We believe as Alexander Hamilton did. Better the enemy in their camp than ours. We do not want the man at the gate having to be guarded then 'feet held to the fire" AFTER he lets the liberal Horde in to slaughter us.

Some people WANT the excitement of not knowing when the gate will rise and the destruction begin. Thats why they repeatedly elect those that give them their thrill of liberal whatever. BECAUSE THATS THE TYPE THEY KEEP ELECTING OR TRUING TO ELECT.

And thats the type the GOP has as a matter of historical fact, offered up. Then screamed for unity in voting for.

-----------
But I'd also add that on the "receiving" end of this message, the recipient that matters isn't really the GOP, but the voters.  And I'd submit that most of them don't carry around, or hyper-analyze, the results of the last Presidential election 3 years previously when they decide who to nominate the next time around.  So even if a clear message was being sent (which I think is almost inherently impossible), it's not really going to affect who gets nominated in the next election anyway. 
_________

The problem is the voter does not think at all. They feel. At best.

________

So to reiterate my point, I do not see how refusing to support a nominee can have a particularly desired/intended effect on what happens the next time around.  The message is inherently murky, the recipients don't care, and everyone will rationalize that the circumstances are simply different this time.
________

Covered above

_________
Well, my rationale is pretty simply.  I view most "lesser of two evil" elections as a rear-guard action, to buy time until we are lucky enough to have a sufficiently articulate, charismatic (unfortunately a necessity in the TV age) conservative candidate come along.
--------------

Covered above

---------------

I do want to note one point where I think we are in agreement.  Nominating and electing a Republican who is only marginally better than a Democrat can be very destructive for any number of reasons.  That's the issue with Trump, in particular.  And if you vote for a GOP candidate who is only marginally better than the Democrat, and he performs poorly, then I think you do bear your share of the responsibility for him.  I just don't see any actual negative consequences of voting for a crappy candidate in the general election if he fails to get elected anyway.  The candidate lost, so whatever message you think should have been sent by that loss, did get sent by that failure, right?
----------------

The negative is shown above/throughout my reply. Every negative there results directly from continuing to empower the party that brings it all to the table. Park Rangers put signs up saying Don't Feed The Bears" because they become dependant on the food. Likewise, if you keep rewarding the GOP or a drug addict or an alcoholic or a spoiled child by giving them their reward for bad behavior (in this case our votes) What possible reason is there on EARTH for them to alter their behavior?

Online libertybele

"We need better candidates, or the ones we have need to improve between now and 2020.  Period."

Better candidates? No candidate is ever going to be perfect.  We started out this campaign with a lot of promise and a lot of hope.  We had the best selection of candidates then we've seen in quite a long time and certainly to most it seemed that there was no way that we were going to lose to Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton.  Because the voters were so turned off by political insiders, the insiders were eliminated very early on, one by one. The two left remaining indeed were outsiders; I hardly call Trump charismatic but rather bombastic.  Had Cruz received the same continued around the clock media coverage as Trump; we would be watching a whole different ballgame right now.  In the very beginning of the race, I felt that Trump served a purpose; he kept the MSM off the backs of Cruz, Rubio, Fiorina and Carson because he drew so much attention.  Soon his intention became obvious ... divide an already fractured party and give Hillary the presidency.  Those that bolstered Trump, WILL bear that responsibility going forward.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

"We need better candidates, or the ones we have need to improve between now and 2020.  Period."
Better candidates? No candidate is ever going to be perfect.  We started out this campaign with a lot of promise and a lot of hope.

Well first, you're limiting it to "this campaign", and we're actually talking about the lack of a good GOP conservative nominee going much further back.  Who/where was that guy in 2008?  Or 2012?  People were tying to convince the corpse of Fred Thompson to run in 2008 simply because he was the only conservative who actually seemed to have strong communications skills.

We had the best selection of candidates then we've seen in quite a long time and certainly to most it seemed that there was no way that we were going to lose to Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton.

As for "this campaign", I started our with a lot of hope as well. But if I'm being honest, I don't think any of those guys "stepped up" to the spotlight.  For the most part, they either shrunk in the spotlight -- think Scott Walker -- or otherwise revealed themselves to have major flaws.  They all stepped backwards.  Jeb's flaw turned out not to be that he was a Bush, but that he was a goober, and a terrible campaigner.  The most talented politically of the bunch, Rubio, was unacceptable to too many people because of the Gang of Eight bill.  That was a self-inflicted wound and a deal-breaker for too many people (not me, but that was a minority position.)  And while Ted Cruz is a solid conservative, a lot of people saw his personal style, manner of speaking, etc., as being simply unappealing to a lot of people.  I know you're a huge fan of the guy, but you have to be realistic about how other people see him.

I was consistently disappointed in these guys.  Part of it was a function of having 17 candidates from the start, plus Trump to gum up all the works and make policy debates difficult.  But no matter the explanation, the truth is that no truly articulate, conservative candidate with broad appeal stepped up.

Because the voters were so turned off by political insiders....

Well there's part of the problem.  As soon as you had a majority of voters unwilling to nominate anyone who wasn't either a non-politician (Trump, Carson, Fiorina), or hated by politicians (Cruz), you were almost by definition disqualifying everyone with good political skills.  And like it or not, the Presidency is a political office, and it takes political skills to win it.

In any case, all the "why's" of this election really are irrelevant, because the bottom line is what ended up happening:  We got Trump, who the GOP elite absolutely despises.  Which itself should cause people to question the idea that the GOPe shoves these guys down our throat, so it is their fault if we don't have good nominees.  We elect these guys.   
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:15:04 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

This speaks to people caring more for being entertained than in being governed Constitutionally. Pretty much the end result of Kardashians vs. the educational system. They both work to dumb down the populace. Pretty faces and being entertained are what people value.

I agree with this, but then that goes back to this being the fault/choice of the voters, not the "party elites".  And more importantly, that isn't going to change just because we try to "send a message" by not voting for the nominee in the general election.

There aren't may  of us left and  that's for sure.  Why we are not electing them is my entire point. Guys like Cruz are there. In the overwhelming number of elections there is a far more conservative option available. Perhaps not 'the ideal' conservative. But a 'more conservative' option that ALWAYS gets tanked because people want to WIN and do not give a tinkers dam what they win with.

I certainly wouldn't try to speak for everyone, but I think a lot of people say they support "the strongest conservative they believe has a good shot at being elected."  So they do give a tinkers damn who they win with, but they do want to win.  Kasich, who ended up polling much better than anyone other Republican for the general election, is Exhibit A that a lot of GOP voters really do care who they win with, and they weren't willing to let Kasich be that guy.

In any case, nominating "the most conservative person who can win" is just the flip side of what the Democrats also do.   Otherwise, they'd have been nominating Ted Kennedy in every race from 1976 through 2000, because he was every liberal's wet dream.  But they knew he was unelectable, so they didn't nominate him.  Do you think that a mistake on their part?

I think Cruz might have had a chance against Hillary, but even I had a hard time listening to that alternating preacher/appellate lawyer cadence he constantly employed.  The dude had all the personal charisma of a block of moldy cheese, and that has mattered heavily since 1960.  There's simply no way around the modern day charisma requirement.

In 12, EVERY GUY on that primary stage was more conservative than Romney. When you compare the records directly of Romney and Obama, there is solid evidence that the more conservative guy actually DID WIN. Obama at least gave lip service to traditional marriage at one point. But that aside, EVERY GUY on stage was the more conservative choice.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that, but the point isn't worth quibbling about.  The 2012 race exemplifies one of the problems Republicans have, and that is that we have too many "splinter" issues/preferences that disqualify candidates in the minds of too many people.   You can run down each of those 11 other candidates, and I can guarantee there was a block of people who found that guy unacceptable for one reason or another.  Romney won because he was the least unacceptable to the most people.

In 16, every guy on that stage was the more conservative choice than Trump. Likewise, every one. Now that is far from saying that most of them were WORTH voting for. But Trump, like Romney, has a record of their life and actions. There is no conservatism in them. There is a metric ton of liberalism.

I agree.  But why?  It wasn't because the elites forced him down our throats.  And the losses of McCain in 2008 and Romney in 2012 should have "sent the message" that a more conservative person should be nominated.  But it didn't happen because the voters thought differently.  That's my point -- "sending a message" by the nominee failing to win the general doesn't send a message at all. 

And who is perpetuating that state if not for the people we elect? How are these people getting to power if not without our votes to put them into office? As I said, they did not suddenly appear by magic. The situation perpetuates exactly BECAUSE of our choices as voters through the people we elect. If we collectively did not do OUR PART, they would simply not be there.

I called those structural problems because they are going to creep even if you have conservatives who don't enact a single piece of liberal legislation.  To reverse the ratchet effect of the Administrative state would require solid majorities in Congress and the Presidency, plus the will to do it.  That's extraordinarily difficult.  And the judicial activism also is structural for a lot of sort of technical legal reasons having to do with standing and precedents.

What logical outcome can be expected when the literal premise of electing someone is that they are not 'as evil' as someone else?  Clearly the objective is not fixing the problem. It's minimizing the damage compared to what some random other' would inflict.

Well, yes and no -- the "lesser of two evils" phrase is not always meant literally by those who use it.  It's often used just as a dramatic-sounding phrase to illustrate that you don't agree with some of the things that candidate supports.  To me personally, an "evil" choice is one who will make things worse than they already are, without regard to the opponent against whom you are running.  So I didn't classify Romney as a "lesser evil" because though I disagreed with him on a number of issues, those were all issues that were part of the status quo anyway, so he wasn't going to make those things worse.  And I did think there were some areas in which he might improve things substantially.  On the flip side, I think that Trump is quite likely to make things worse than they are now, so he is an "evil".  Perhaps a lesser "evil" than Hillary, but a political evil nonetheless.

First, the nature of a political party is to elect the people the party offers. The party, not the people provide support to who they choose to.

Again, I disagree with this, and I don't think the facts support you. Trump won the plurality while spending very little of his own money.  Cruz, who came in second, was heavily disliked by the party establishment, and only obtained their grudging, default support when he was the only non-Trump remaining.  He had a pure grass-roots campaign.  On the Democratic side, the "Establishment" supported Hillary from the get-go, and wanted Bernie to go away as fast a possible.  But voters disagreed, and turned it into a real race.  The only reason Hillary won was because of rock-solid, heavily majority support from black voters.  And the Establishment's preferred candidate, Jeb, was perhaps the worst candidate I've seen in decades.  His $100M+, and support from half the elected Republicans in the country, didn't mean squat because voters rejected him.

Reagan had the charisma. Thats a once in a lifetime event.

But if we're actually seeking a transformational conservative, we can't expect that guy to come along very often.  I actually thought we were close this time with Rubio -- he was the best communicator we've had since Reagan.  But he was basically destroyed because he upset too many people on a single issue -- immigration.  And again, that was the voters that rejected him, not the "Establishment".

Then how does a party that is not in existence supposed to do anything at all? If you do not vote for liberal GOP and they keep losing, the money stops funding them, all the things that go with it, what is this ghost party going to do to force their liberals on anyone?

First, I don't think you actually disagreed/disputed the points I made about the "message" not getting through.  You're just saying "if that is not correct, what else should we do?"  Or am I misreading you?

Second, I'm not quite following this argument, unless you are saying that we should stop voting for Republicans in the general election in the hopes of destroying the party.

My entire argument/recipe for action has never once been tried. EVER. Not once has the electorate done anything but ....repeat their mistakes.... and elect/reelect the very people that have totally hosed this country.

Here, you seem to be speaking of "the electorate" as a whole, which includes everyone to the left of us who is not interested in advancing conservatism anyway.  So what you and I see as "the country getting hosed" is stuff that much of the electorate actually supports.

But if that's not what you mean, then I'm assuming your "recipe for action" is to simply stop supporting nominees who aren't sufficiently conservative in the general election.  That will then -- according to your argument -- force the party to nominate more conservative people.  Is that a fair summary?  Because if it is, I'd say that may indeed have been tried in both 2008 and 2012, when a lot of conservatives stayed home.  But conservatives staying home in 2008 got us Romney in 2012, and staying home in 2012 got us Trump in 2016.  So I'd say it has been tried, and has been utterly ineffective.

The only way to get a more conservative nominee is to do our utmost to have them win in the primaries.  That's it.  There is no other shortcut or tactic that is going to succeed.

What was Bhoner? 70% approval? People WANTED his leftism. So the GOP gave it to them."

I agree with that because I think that actually states the causation correctly.  It wasn't the party shoving it down the throat of the voters -- it's the voters shoving it down the throat of the party.

There's only one message that matters. Your vote. When you give it, you give full consent and permission. These people have records. There is ZERO excuse. There is no "But". There is no takeback. You vote for Joe Smith, you get everything he is and your vote empowers all he does in office.

Norm, I think this kind of ducks the entire point I made about no clear "message" being sent when a candidate loses the general election.  I don't see any evidence of a message being sent or received, nor do I think it is generally -- except in rare cases -- even possible to ascribe a clear single cause for a defeat.  I do agree with you that you're responsible for the consequences of your votes, but I don't see what that has to do with "the message".

Of course thats what happened. We did not vote for a liberal. We voted elswhere or stayed home. They did not get our vote because he was not only not a strong 'enough' conservative, he was not remotely conservative AT ALL.

How do you know that's why he lost, and how do you know that the party agrees with you that's why he lost?  Sure, I'm sure we could all agree that had he been more conservative, he'd have gotten more votes from conservatives.  But there are an awful lot of people who believe (rightly or wrongly, doesn't matter) that moving to the right (or being more to the right) would have cost him even more votes in the middle.

The GOP was not unaware of Romneys record. They like his voters WANTED that record leading them. Am I to believe that the GOP and electorate put up a candidate that neither wanted to lead America? Am I to believe that 60+ million Americans are so uncaring of their country they simply did not know what that record was?

First, I'll again point out that you're acknowledging this is actually voter driven.

Second, I don't think either the GOP or the party electorate was happy about Romneycare.  It was his biggest weakness, and openly acknowledged as such by just about everyone.  Unfortunately so, in my opinion, because I think there was a very good argument to be made about why Romneycare was easily distinguishable from Obamacare.  I think they just judged the argument too complicated (wrongly so, in my opinion), so they never made it.

Third, I believe we've had prior conversations in which you've stated that abortion is an absolute core issue for you, and that you cannot support a candidate with a pro-choice record.  That's perfectly fine, but not all conservatives share the opinion that a candidate with a pro-choice history should be rejected absolutely.

Fourth, I think you are overlooking (perhaps because of the abortion issue) that Romney was perceived by voters and the party as possessing some distinctly conservative positive attributes.  Foremost among those was his record as a very successful businessman (not just a deal guy like Trump), record with the Olympics, and repeatedly stated support for reduced regulation, lower taxes, and stronger immigration enforcement.  But I think the reality was that he was very few people's idea of a dream candidate.  It was just that the other guys all had flaws as well.  One candidate who is very popular with social conservatives is someone I've met on a couple of occasions, and with whom I've had some extended discussions.   And he's just not a very bright guy (no names, obviously).  So he was out for me.  I was supporting Newt for awhile, then he started getting all weird, and there was the global warming, etc., stuff in his background.  I wasn't thrilled with any of them, to be honest. 

No, people made excuses as to why they lost with a hard leftist running as a conservative that was easily taken apart because his entire mythos was a lie. And they will go to the end of the earth to excuse their role in it. His record exists. History exists. No excuse about %%%% alters the fact the guy lied faster than his heart beat. All those memes with a hundred mouths on his face didn't get their basis in fantasy.

You are taking your view of what happened and assuming that everyone else saw it that same way you did.  I think that's incorrect, and honestly, I don't know how you can possibly know that.  Whether you or they ultimately are correct as to why he lost is immaterial -- it is their perceptions that will control the lessons they draw from Romney's defeat.

The problem is the voter does not think at all. They feel. At best.

Look, I largely agree with you on that.  But if we both are correct on that, don't you see that the idea of "sending a message" by not supporting a nominee in the general election is doomed to failure?  I'm not saying that you or anyone else should vote for a candidate with whom they disagree simply because he's the party's nominee.  Trump is a bridge too far for me as well.  All I'm saying is that if the purpose of abstaining is to send a message, that's not a very good reason because the message is neither clearly sent, nor clearly received.

Every negative there results directly from continuing to empower the party that brings it all to the table.

I do not see a nominee losing the election as empowering the party.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 02:56:52 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline RetBobbyMI

I think the problem with the GOP is that they try to cater to TOO many groups and thus have abandoned their principles.  They no longer represent anything people can hang their hat on. So a lot of people today identify them as center or center left party.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I think the problem with the GOP is that they try to cater to TOO many groups and thus have abandoned their principles.  They no longer represent anything people can hang their hat on. So a lot of people today identify them as center or center left party.

I agree.

Offline Charlespg

This may come as a shock, so brace yourself:  There are more than a few million folks who consider Cruz to be the worst type of vile human being--a hypocrite of the worst order, using God as cover for his perpetual lies and cold, ruthless ambition.   Ted Cruz (R-Canada), champion of nothing, is repellent.

Just thought you should know.
I stopped supporting Cruz when he sided with the anti trump rioters in Arizona
Yeah trump is not the best candidate ,but I wont vote for somebody who supports or sides with  leftist brown shirts

thats not Conservative or American values
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Online Maj. Bill Martin

Yeah trump is not the best candidate ,but I wont vote for somebody who supports or sides with  leftist brown shirts

I won't mention any names, but in another thread, one poster kept saying that we needed someone -- other than Trump -- who would "unite the country".  I pointed out that the country was strongly divided on issues such as abortion, LGBT issues, health care, etc., and that unless people were willing to surrender their belief on all those issues, it is impossible for anyone to unite them.  So I asked who she thought could do it, and she said "Ted Cruz".

Now, whether I like him or not isn't the point.  What I've never been able to understand are those people who don't not understand that other people really, truly, honestly disagree with them, and are not persuadable to their position.  And here you guys are blasting Cruz, and you're Republicans.

We're a fractious lot -- it's just the way it is.

Offline the_doc

This may come as a shock, so brace yourself:  There are more than a few million folks who consider Cruz to be the worst type of vile human being--a hypocrite of the worst order, using God as cover for his perpetual lies and cold, ruthless ambition.   Ted Cruz (R-Canada), champion of nothing, is repellent.

Just thought you should know.

There are tens of millions of Americans who consider Jesus Christ to be the worst type of vile human being.  So, your comment means nothing beyond identifying you with the antichristian crowd that is destroying our country in the name of improving it.  Trump is the head of that crowd at this time. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

When did that happen?  Can you provide a link?

Offline WAC

You stated..." We're a fractious lot -- it's just the way it is".....

Indeed that is very true ....and why whoever our candidates are they need to have the skill to unite these fractions sufficiently to win the elections......only those with that ability are successful ......I don't see Trump doing that even remotely, in fact quite the opposite and that from the beginning of his run. He has yet to change his approach, I don't think that he can honestly. He doesn't want to understand why that's necessary....or for that matter anything else regarding this election.

I have many concerns he's in this to do the damage we see happening, and not just in the Rep. party, but throughout the nation. Everything the man says creates chaos and division in one form or another. ...and that's a leftist tactic.

I sure don't have the answer to this insane mess of an election....I just know that  Trump and Hillary are NOT the answer to this nation......and pretty much any of the other Republican candidates who ran would do for a place sitter until for four years.

:bullie smokin:

Offline Smokin Joe

You stated..." We're a fractious lot -- it's just the way it is".....

Indeed that is very true ....and why whoever our candidates are they need to have the skill to unite these fractions sufficiently to win the elections......only those with that ability are successful ......I don't see Trump doing that even remotely, in fact quite the opposite and that from the beginning of his run. He has yet to change his approach, I don't think that he can honestly. He doesn't want to understand why that's necessary....or for that matter anything else regarding this election.

I have many concerns he's in this to do the damage we see happening, and not just in the Rep. party, but throughout the nation. Everything the man says creates chaos and division in one form or another. ...and that's a leftist tactic.

I sure don't have the answer to this insane mess of an election....I just know that  Trump and Hillary are NOT the answer to this nation......and pretty much any of the other Republican candidates who ran would do for a place sitter until for four years.

:bullie smokin:
Trump's whole style revolves around Alinsky tactics. He whittled down the field like an objecting Board of Directors, peeling off the weak ones first, and ever attacking the strongest positions.
Part of the fractionation of the field in this primary was the full court press against Cruz, from twitter attacks, to the National Enquirer articles his buddy Packer put out, to all sorts of other nonsense including attacking Cruz for the actions of a PAC and claiming victimhood--then using that 'status' to viciously attack Cruz' wife.

Apparently, that worked in America's current angry political arena (other more prosperous times, it likely would not have), but it has caused rifts in the Party, and resentments at the level formerly reserved for at least 1 term Democrats.

It won't work in negotiations with people who would just as soon smuggle in a nuke and blow up a city to the glory of their deity. He can't bluster the Chinese to a halt. And he can't order American business to return to a country with a hostile environment (be that EPA, OSHA, Unions, economy, or whatever).

Hillary is just a crook who would sell her mother for personal gain. She is in it for herself, and the devil take the hindmost.

Neither is acceptable to me.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Mechanicos

I won't mention any names, but in another thread, one poster kept saying that we needed someone -- other than Trump -- who would "unite the country".  I pointed out that the country was strongly divided on issues such as abortion, LGBT issues, health care, etc., and that unless people were willing to surrender their belief on all those issues, it is impossible for anyone to unite them.  So I asked who she thought could do it, and she said "Ted Cruz".

Now, whether I like him or not isn't the point.  What I've never been able to understand are those people who don't not understand that other people really, truly, honestly disagree with them, and are not persuadable to their position.  And here you guys are blasting Cruz, and you're Republicans.

We're a fractious lot -- it's just the way it is.
Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline Charlespg

When did that happen?  Can you provide a link?
I cant find the link anymore ,but there was a big uproar over it (tuson riot at trump rally )

Cruz came on the TV later   and basically said the riot in Arizona was trumps fault

stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8HGsR49EGw

this cop was there as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Bt6b8PPP0

was not a fan of trump  but the way the MSM and the GOPe was justifying that crap  turned me off
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 10:04:58 pm by Charlespg »
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I cant find the link anymore ,but there was a big uproar over it (tuson riot at trump rally )

Cruz came on the TV later   and basically said the riot in Arizona was trumps fault

stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8HGsR49EGw

this cop was there as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Bt6b8PPP0

was not a fan of trump  but the way the MSM and the GOPe was justifying that crap  turned me off
Chicago.

Listen starting about 1:00 min. He essentially blames Trump, and he got penalized from that day forward. Of course he used slick lawyerly doubletalk, so he can stay on both sides if needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmxBp4IFe_I
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline roamer_1

Chicago.

Listen starting about 1:00 min. He essentially blames Trump, and he got penalized from that day forward. Of course he used slick lawyerly doubletalk, so he can stay on both sides if needed.

I heard no doubletalk, and he was dead-on right. He blamed the perpetrators. He then went on to accuse Trump of fomenting their reaction by the sort of campaign environment he was encouraging..

Exactly true.

Offline Smokin Joe

I heard no doubletalk, and he was dead-on right. He blamed the perpetrators. He then went on to accuse Trump of fomenting their reaction by the sort of campaign environment he was encouraging..

Exactly true.
Did he even mention Trump in the clip?

I heard what you did: The rioters were responsible for their own actions.

Then he basically said that the candidate sets the tone of his campaign.

What he said was true, but he definitely didn't blame the rioters in the streets on Trump, nor did he side with the rioters as was so often claimed.

Of course, pointing that out led to either being ignored or dogpiled with nonsense and vitriol at TOS. Facts, though remain facts. Not sure what response that would have brought here.

C S Lewis

Offline the_doc

Did he even mention Trump in the clip?

I heard what you did: The rioters were responsible for their own actions.

Then he basically said that the candidate sets the tone of his campaign.

What he said was true, but he definitely didn't blame the rioters in the streets on Trump, nor did he side with the rioters as was so often claimed.

Of course, pointing that out led to either being ignored or dogpiled with nonsense and vitriol at TOS. Facts, though remain facts. Not sure what response that would have brought here.

Trump's supporters are the proverbial "low-information" voters.

Offline Smokin Joe

Trump's supporters are the proverbial "low-information" voters.
When 40% of America gets its 'news' from Facebook and Twitter, and, unfortunately, that gets recirculated ad infinitum, it is a small wonder that so much misinformation gets circulated as "fact", even if it isn't. Some issues can't be reduced to the length of a bumper sticker. Life and politics are more complex than that.

It is the electronic equivalent of the grade school exercise with the teacher whispering something in the ear of the first student in class, and the students passing it on to the one behind them until the message gets to the last kid in line. What was heard at the end bears little, if any, resemblance to the original message.

C S Lewis