Poll

After 4 years of Hillary or Trump, what do you think will happen?

Author Topic: Free Republic Founder: #NeverTrumperism Is a Losing Proposition – Will No Longer Be Tolerated  (Read 16684 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Every man is at liberty to refuse to abide by duly enacted laws that he objects to. Whether he exercises that liberty is a matter for his conscience and his willingness to abide the consequences. Nuremburg told us that.

Thomas More.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_More

geronl

Now who would have ever thought when you run off the bill payers, the freeloaders are left to sponge. Hey that is just like nobama's gubmit! Welcome to tRumpworld, Freeploaders.

back in the day I thought that someone could put a quarterly e-mag together with the best original FReeper input and sell as a fundraising tool (on Amazon or whatever). Now there is nobody to produce interesting original content.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 01:43:51 pm by geronl »

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Every man is at liberty to refuse to abide by duly enacted laws that he objects to. Whether he exercises that liberty is a matter for his conscience and his willingness to abide the consequences. Nuremburg told us that.

This ain't Nuremberg or Nazi Germany that we're discussing, and every situation isn't Nuremberg or dropping an atomic bomb on a densely populated city.

Public servants are sworn to uphold the duly enacted laws in a country where those laws are crafted by the people's representatives and changeable in the Courts.

If your conscience is at odds with the laws you've sworn to uphold, step down.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
This ain't Nuremberg or Nazi Germany that we're discussing, and every situation isn't Nuremberg or dropping an atomic bomb on a densely populated city.

Public servants are sworn to uphold the duly enacted laws in a country where those laws are crafted by the people's representatives and changeable in the Courts.

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Henry Noel

Expectation of perfect order at FR is naïve. I learned way back, anything is possible.

Example: The trial of David Westerfield, for the murder of a little girl.

The parents of the girl, were marijuana smoking swingers, and those "moral" failures, earned the murderer a kind reception in the hearts of a large number of freepers, bound to keep the parents' shortcomings foremost in their consideration.

Some whacko ruled the roost, named "FresnoDA" and nobody could/would stop him. It was crazy.

One of the most frustrating aspects of posting and arguing on Free Republic was the inability to convince people that there could be more than one element to a situation. For instance, in the case you cited, the neglect by the parents and the culpability of the murderer are two separate issues. That's an intellectual shortcoming that leads otherwise intelligent people into weird philosophical contradictions.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Offline Henry Noel

Generally speaking, that's true. I think Mario Cuomo and Jeb Bush would agree. But there are situations where moral considerations can force us to take a stand in opposition to the law.

The devil wins souls by using moral conundrums to convince us that good does not exist, and that it is futile to live one's life in accordance with consistent moral precepts. It leads us to despair.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Generally speaking, that's true. I think Mario Cuomo and Jeb Bush would agree. But there are situations where moral considerations can force us to take a stand in opposition to the law.

The devil wins souls by using moral conundrums to convince us that good does not exist, and that it is futile to live one's life in accordance with consistent moral precepts. It leads us to despair.

I didn't say that you couldn't take a stand against a law, but as an elected official, or any other member of any level of government, you are a trustee of duly enacted laws and sworn to dispense and defend them.

If you refuse to abide by the letter of a duly enacted law based on your personal feelings about the law, then you become the law, with a position above the people and their elected representatives.

That's not in any way or form to be allowed in a Representative Constitutional Republic.   

Public servants must either "faithfully execute" the laws or step down then fight to change them.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 04:31:53 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
One of the most frustrating aspects of posting and arguing on Free Republic was the inability to convince people that there could be more than one element to a situation. For instance, in the case you cited, the neglect by the parents and the culpability of the murderer are two separate issues. That's an intellectual shortcoming that leads otherwise intelligent people into weird philosophical contradictions.

Because sadly most of them want to go back to the late 40's, 50's and early 60's, where they think life was simple and straightforward.

Problem is most of them were children back then, and saw those times thru a child's eyes, but they simply cannot move on from that perspective. Everything with them should be a binary choice. Some things are to be sure, but not every last little thing, yet they refuse to think any other way.

That is a great deal of the problem there.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 02:53:24 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Silver Pines

Well he does need a new camper..

That might be on the list for later; I saw him mention his new Cadillac.

BTW, like your avatar.  I recently started watching season 4 of that show and I'm hooked.  I'm going to get the previous seasons so I can see what I missed.

HAPPY2BME

Finally, Jim Robinson gets it right.

Offline the_doc

Finally, Jim Robinson gets it right.

If what I have heard from a few years ago is correct, I think JR was right the first time around--when he regarded Trump as a political monster.

Anyway, something is bad wrong here.  A guy who can "switch" so drastically and so fast is not to be trusted with the Presidency.  My goodness, this is axiomatic in Republicanism.  The Framers abhorred pandering populism.  (One thing that JR has overlooked--something that should have given him pause before he started zotting us NeverTrump guys and gals--is that there is an obvious continuity between the New Trump and the Old Trump:  Trump is an over-the-top jerk.  That, too, makes him a heretic.  Trump's public character is completely inconsistent with the  noble spirit of our Constitution and the originally noble spirit of the Republican Party.)

I say that a little over one-third of the members of the Republican Party--the only ones who enthusiastically support Trump--are just angry, scared political suckers.  In short, I think JR's position is tending to usher in the very disaster that he hopes to avert.

Online kevindavis007

That might be on the list for later; I saw him mention his new Cadillac.

BTW, like your avatar.  I recently started watching season 4 of that show and I'm hooked.  I'm going to get the previous seasons so I can see what I missed.

Hmmmm very interesting.   I think an audit in where the money is going needs to be done.

Thank you... it is a fantastic show. I have watched it from the beginning and I was hooked on it right away
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Jewbacca

• All Wookies Are Jewish
Jim Robinson, the founder of popular conservative internet discussion board Free Republic that was founded in 1997, threw his support behind Donald Trump for president on Thursday.

Free Republic was a bitter battle ground for pro-Trump and pro-Cruz supporters this year.

Jim posted this earlier today:

NeverTumperism is a losing proposition. Keep the communist bitch out by supporting Trump!

Posted on 5/12/2016, 2:53:58 PM by Jim Robinson

Your vote. Use it or lose it.

It’s not clear if he was talking about Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders in his post?

Jim Robinson also announced #NeverTrump recruiting and anti-Trump activities would no longer be tolerated at Free Republic.

Our overriding conservative mission on Free Republic is to defend God, family, country!

Posted on 5/11/2016, 3:10:59 PM by Jim Robinson

Our overriding mission on Free Republic is to preserve, protect and defend (conserve) God, family, country–and all that that entails (refer to the Declaration, Constitution, and our Judeo-Christian American heritage for details).

Our most immediate task we must undertake at this time is keep corrupt, godless, treasonous, America-hating communists like Hillary Clinton out of power.

Our very survival as a free nation depends upon it.

That means FR is going all in to defeat Hillary/Bernie, et al, by supporting our America-first nominee Donald Trump to the hilt.

Very sorry if your favorite candidate did not win the nomination and sorry if you cannot understand or agree with our mission, but those who can’t live with our immediate goal need to either keep it to themselves or sit it out (from FR) for the duration. Anti-Trump activities and NeverTrump trolling and recruiting efforts are not appreciated and are unwelcome on FR.

The time for fighting about who may be best on our side for the job is over. It’s now time to consolidate and concentrate our firepower against our common enemy.

Our intent is to do whatever it takes to defeat the commies in November and if you do not wish to be part of this effort, please sign off now. You can always let me know by email if you wish to rejoin us.

Thank you very much.

Thank God, there are still patriots like Jim Robinson that put country before hurt feelings and pettiness.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/05/free-republic-founder-nevertrumperism-losing-proposition-keep-communist-bitch/

If that was Jim's position, FR would still be tolerable.

It's not, however.  Or he's delegated his board to Trump zealots.  Merely disagreeing with Trump or saying Cruz was a good guy is sufficient to be banned.

It's become a "Safe Space" for Trump cultists.

I will be sad for the Republic when Trump gets his ass handed to him in the general, but I will gladly make up a new account and mock the shit out of those idiots.
The residents of Iroquois Territory shall not determine if Jews may  live in Jerusalem.

Offline Jewbacca

• All Wookies Are Jewish
I'm under the impression Free Republic is Jim's job/career. And he pays himself [and his employees?] well, because he can. It will be interesting to see what happens [with the next fundraiser] after so many generous members have left the site because of Jim's demands and/or zots.

They appear to be having trouble with this quarter's fundraiser.

Shame, that.
The residents of Iroquois Territory shall not determine if Jews may  live in Jerusalem.

Offline DiogenesLamp

If that was Jim's position, FR would still be tolerable.

It's not, however.  Or he's delegated his board to Trump zealots.  Merely disagreeing with Trump or saying Cruz was a good guy is sufficient to be banned.

It's become a "Safe Space" for Trump cultists.

I will be sad for the Republic when Trump gets his ass handed to him in the general, but I will gladly make up a new account and mock the shit out of those idiots.

I do not believe Trump is going to lose.   I believe he is going to stomp the witch into the mud.   

But we will still be able to mock.   Whenever Trump does something Liberal or Big Government,   we can say "See?   We told you so."   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

I do not believe Trump is going to lose.   I believe he is going to stomp the witch into the mud.   

But we will still be able to mock.   Whenever Trump does something Liberal or Big Government,   we can say "See?   We told you so."

I certainly appreciate your attitude and honesty.  Trump IS going to be POTUS come January.

Always maintained that my passionate positions on Trump are no different than my passionate opinions about baseball/players/teams.

It's always intended to be fun.   

I look forward to having a helluva lot more "See?  I TOLD YOU SO!"'s than you have!    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline the_doc

I'm in the curious position of wanting him to beat her, but am unwilling to vote for him.

I know how you feel (almost?). 

Offline Relic

I'm in the curious position of wanting him to beat her, but am unwilling to vote for him.

Mark Steyn was filling in for Rush and I caught a few minutes of what he had to say at lunchtime. Steyn's opinion of this vote is much the same as mine. Steyn says that a Hillary Clinton presidency will continue, if not accelerate the trajectory of America under president Obama. Steyn suspects, and I agree that the middle class will continue to shrink under Clinton, and that America will permanently lose it's place as a world power.

Steyn said no one knows for sure what Trump will do, and I agree. According to Steyn, at least there is a chance for good under Trump, under Clinton, the outcome is known, and it won't be good. Steyn also supposed that the GOP would suddenly find it's ability to be an effective opposition, to a president Trump. Something I've posted more than once.

Offline Norm Lenhart

Mark Steyn was filling in for Rush and I caught a few minutes of what he had to say at lunchtime. Steyn's opinion of this vote is much the same as mine. Steyn says that a Hillary Clinton presidency will continue, if not accelerate the trajectory of America under president Obama. Steyn suspects, and I agree that the middle class will continue to shrink under Clinton, and that America will permanently lose it's place as a world power.

Steyn said no one knows for sure what Trump will do, and I agree. According to Steyn, at least there is a chance for good under Trump, under Clinton, the outcome is known, and it won't be good. Steyn also supposed that the GOP would suddenly find it's ability to be an effective opposition, to a president Trump. Something I've posted more than once.

Isn't that simply the exact same thing said every election hat has resulted in a fully left wing GOP that sides 100% with Democrats on every big issue?

So whats the difference exactly when they are doing it now and have been for years.

Deficit
Gay everything
Immigration
Iran

All of it.

There is ZERO upside to Trump over Clinton because the mans positions/words today do not match those mere months ago. Remember, he told us anything he says is a suggestion.

Bottom line, the only option any conservative has is to not vote for the liberal. Always was, always will be. Steyn, Sowell or any of them mouthing the same failed method that created this situation is insanity.

Offline Relic

Isn't that simply the exact same thing said every election hat has resulted in a fully left wing GOP that sides 100% with Democrats on every big issue?

So whats the difference exactly when they are doing it now and have been for years.

Deficit
Gay everything
Immigration
Iran

All of it.

There is ZERO upside to Trump over Clinton because the mans positions/words today do not match those mere months ago. Remember, he told us anything he says is a suggestion.

Bottom line, the only option any conservative has is to not vote for the liberal. Always was, always will be. Steyn, Sowell or any of them mouthing the same failed method that created this situation is insanity.

As of right now, it's your right to be wrong.

Under 8 years of Clinton rule, we'll see how that holds up.

Offline DiogenesLamp

I have the advantage of living in a State that always votes Republican so I can afford to sit this one out if I chose to do so.   

If I lived in a swing state,   I would of course vote for Trump,   but I wouldn't like it. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Norm Lenhart

As of right now, it's your right to be wrong.

Under 8 years of Clinton rule, we'll see how that holds up.

Well by all means, please specify exactly where I am wrong.

Am I wrong that the GOP who was elected on the exact logic used by Steyn sided 100% with obama?

No.

Am I wrong that every election we hear the exact same reason to elect ever-more liberal Republicans?

No

Am I wrong that Trump has in fact said it was all suggestion and that everything is negotiable?

No

Please. Since the above is 100% historical fact, educate me where I and history are wrong. I and History are willing to learn.

Offline Relic

Well by all means, please specify exactly where I am wrong.

Am I wrong that the GOP who was elected on the exact logic used by Steyn sided 100% with obama?

No.

Am I wrong that every election we hear the exact same reason to elect ever-more liberal Republicans?

No

Am I wrong that Trump has in fact said it was all suggestion and that everything is negotiable?

No

Please. Since the above is 100% historical fact, educate me where I and history are wrong. I and History are willing to learn.

What is it they say in investing? Past performance is not indicative of future results.

There has never been a situation quite like this, and Trump isn't exactly the candidate the establishment dreamed of having nominated.

I get it, you're an FR refugee, and you're steeped in the culture that says you must prove you're more conservative than anyone else. You are a "pure" conservative, no doubt. However, you have a choice. It's either Clinton or Trump. I'll bet you any amount of money you can manage, that if Trump and Clinton are the nominees, and neither dies or is put in jail, that one of the two of them will be elected.

It really is a choice of the lesser of two evils. But, there is an odd chance that Trump could pleasantly surprise us. There will be no surprises with Hillary.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

I respect Mark Steyn a lot and am forced to agree with his position here.  We know what we would get with Hillary and we can't afford it.

It's a throw of the dice with Trump but, despicable as he is, he might be a better president.

(this is from a die-hard who is still hoping Cruz somehow gets the nomination at the Convention)
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
What is it they say in investing? Past performance is not indicative of future results.

It is also said that insanity is doing the same exact thing, over and over again, expecting different results.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775