Author Topic: ‘Free Republic’ Now A Safe Space for Donald Trump Supporters  (Read 6866 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: ‘Free Republic’ Now A Safe Space for Donald Trump Supporters
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2016, 11:15:01 pm »
It might survive the quarter, but I doubt it long survives the election year.

It will. It has too much inherent value simply for Google placement. JR could even sell his browsing data for a pretty penny if needed.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2016, 11:19:28 pm »
Meh. It's been a couple of months since I've been feeling like this regarding FreeRepublic:

How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Bill Cipher

« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2016, 11:22:28 pm »
Should get more visible posting.  Maybe a link-back?

Offline BuckeyeTexan

« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2016, 11:23:30 pm »
It is technically a registered business (an LLC), not private property, and the terms of service can be viewed as a contract, so contract laws apply if someone really wants to go there. (not saying they should). The TOS is a mutual agreement and money given to the site technically isn't a donation as this is a business, not a charity, but a voluntary membership fee.

I'll try to respond to both of your posts here. Please note that IANAL, I do not play one on TV, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :wink:

Not-for-profit is an actual legal designation by the IRS for tax-exempt activities. No, FR is not a tax-exempt activity. Yes, FR is an LLC. Yes, FR is private property, specifically intangible personal property. (i.e. an asset that can be acquired or used for collateral) State laws vary, but in general, a business can accept donations or sponsorships.

Members of FR must register to post comments at FR and, in doing so, agree to abide by the User Agreement . As you said, donations are voluntary. Donations are not required to be a member of FR and the acceptance of donations doesn't come with a guaranteed right-of-access to or use of FR. If I remember correctly, even the User Agreement stipulates that JR can change the agreement without notice.

Since, IANAL, I won't touch the subject of contract law with respect to FR's User Agreement or refunds due from termination of an agreement. My layman's understanding is that a donation is not a purchase of a service or good.

I do know (from friends' statements and not evidence I've seen) that JR has offered and given refunds and cancelled voluntary donations from freepers who seem particularly unhappy even though they didn't request a cancellation. I am a monthly donor to FR and have been for years. I have gotten sideways with JR a couple of times and asked that my donations be cancelled. He always obliges without hesitation.

All of that said, my original assertion stands. FR is private property and, as the owner, JR can refuse to grant membership, revoke membership, and change the site's User Agreement.

There are those that break and bend. I'm the other kind. ~Steve Earle

Offline BuckeyeTexan

« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2016, 11:32:07 pm »
I do believe in the right of private property. I own private property. But my home is not a
limited liability corporation, technically speaking or speaking otherwise.

You're speaking of real private property. A website is intangible personal property. Regardless, a business can own private property and refuse service, unless violating federal civil rights laws.

If you argue FR as private property and not the LLC it actually is,

The two are not mutually exclusive. FR is both private personal property and an LLC.

Oceander

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2016, 11:39:18 pm »
It is technically a registered business (an LLC), not private property, and the terms of service can be viewed as a contract, so contract laws apply if someone really wants to go there. (not saying they should). The TOS is a mutual agreement and money given to the site technically isn't a donation as this is a business, not a charity, but a voluntary membership fee.

FR is private property, mainly of the intangible personal property sort.  The primary assets are most likely the LLC interests (intangible), the website (including database of posts) (intangible), the member database (separate asset, like a customer list) (intangible), goodwill and going concern value (intangible), and the servers and other equipment (tangible).

All of that stuff is private property because (a) it's property and (b) it belongs to a private individual and isn't affected with a public interest.  In fact, the entire package of assets put together in a going concern is itself an item of intangible personal property and is private property. 

Typically a TOS is supposed to be a contract, mainly so the owners can enforce it against people who break it.  It will generally function that way.  If you read it carefully it gives members very few if any rights, but that won't stop it from being enforced. 

The donations are basically like compensation for services provided, and would most likely be treated as payment for services already rendered so payment wouldn't give the payor any rights or privileges.  It's taxable to JR as ordinary business income in any case. 

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2016, 11:43:58 pm »
Good opportunity to fill up the comment section with directions to the GOPBR.

200 comments.  I dropped in the link again.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2016, 11:48:27 pm »

Free Republic will be fine. Get over yourselves.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline BuckeyeTexan

« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2016, 11:52:55 pm »
No one is questioning his right to do as he pleases with his forum, but there is a concept at work here that rises up above his right.

It is fair to question JR's logic/reason for banning freepers over their refusal to support Trump. And JR has answered those questions, multiple times. Whether or not to accept his response is up to the individual.

I believe his right as a private property owner was in dispute. Perhaps I misunderstood.

I disagree with the extent of the bannings. I think he should keep a light hand on the tiller and let freepers work it out. But I've had that conversation with him and I am neither the owner nor a moderator. So, it's his business, literally. I've asked specific questions about what level of criticism is welcome regarding Trump. I haven't gotten a specific answer, but I also haven't been banned or suspended for my criticisms.

It is what it is. I'll abide by his rules or show myself the door when I can no longer abide by the rules.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2016, 12:10:46 am »
‘Free Republic’ Now A Safe Space for Donald Trump Supporters

Why do you care---and why should I?

« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 12:11:28 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Manic Episode

• Class of 03
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2016, 12:34:15 am »
How can they be in denial of what they've done?  And give me a break:  "God, family, country"?  Bunk!  God is quite dishonored in their candidate.  Family is a joke to their candidate of multiple adulteries and marriages.  Country is just his toilet paper to wipe himself with.  They're aiding mini-mussolini with the excuse that at least he's not the she-stalin.  I'll take neither, thank you.

When Trump stated he wanted to change the Republican platform to include 3 exceptions for abortion he outed himself as pro baby murder. There are no exceptions. Murder is murder.

As far as I'm concerned Freerepublic is now a pro abortion website supporting a pro baby murder candidate and rejecting, smearing and slandering a good man in Ted Cruz.

I no longer feel welcome there when my views can get me banned.

Jim can do anything he wants as long as he is willing to pay the consequences for his actions. Sowing and reaping is what life is all about.

He put all his eggs in the wrong basket which will become more and more apparent and obvious and consequential as Trump continues to move to the left.

Or perhaps Trump will perform magnificently and prove me wrong. I would like that a lot.

But I don't vote for liberals or support pro abortion websites.

Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps...

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2016, 01:31:54 am »
Nine sign ups today, likely because of The Federalist article. Hopefully, we can reciprocate by posting some of The Federalist articles and send some traffic back.

Karma.

200 comments.  I dropped in the link again.
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Bill Cipher

« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2016, 01:43:14 am »
Free Republic will be fine. Get over yourselves.

Now that's a constructive comment.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2016, 01:56:03 am »
I liked the article.  Left a short comment with a link back here; maybe itll help.

geronl

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2016, 02:11:22 am »
It is what it is. I'll abide by his rules or show myself the door when I can no longer abide by the rules.

I agree. As for the donations, I don't even care what he does with the money. If people feel like they want to give him money, then so be it. They should know that it's not all going to site upkeep though.

A-Lert

« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2016, 03:08:39 am »
Now that's a constructive comment.

Is there anything constructive about the thread?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 03:09:48 am by A-Lert »

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2016, 02:33:20 pm »
Is there anything constructive about the thread?

Are there even ANY threads here anymore, which are not about nevertrump, or ridiculing FR?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2016, 02:40:36 pm »
Are there even ANY threads here anymore, which are not about nevertrump, or ridiculing FR?

There's plenty of them.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2016, 06:26:17 pm »
#Never trump threads are a small minority in Opinions/Blogs where this thread is posted.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/board,7.0.html

Look at this list. They are the majority, period.

A-Lert

« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2016, 07:23:47 pm »

Amazing that after being told they weren't wanted or left by choice they post like jilted lovers.

Offline flowers

« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2016, 04:50:48 am »
Amazing that after being told they weren't wanted or left by choice they post like jilted lovers.

So true.   And to get even they're going to sleep with Hillary. 

« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 04:54:17 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2016, 04:55:47 am »
So true.  And to get even they're going to sleep with Hillary.

Don't care who you are thats funny :laughingdog:

« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2016, 04:57:25 am »
Don't care who you are thats funny

No it's not funny at all.  Nice spin though.   :smokin:

« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 04:57:59 am by Right_in_Virginia »