Author Topic: ‘Free Republic’ Now A Safe Space for Donald Trump Supporters  (Read 6868 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: ‘Free Republic’ Now A Safe Space for Donald Trump Supporters
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 08:36:11 pm »
Here's my question to Jim Rob... If FR is about -- "We are and always have been heavily biased toward God, family, country and we are looking for like-minded patriots", explain to us how a man who boasts about his adultery with other women is about family. Explain what kind of God a man who says he  never sought forgiveness for his sins worships. Explain how a man who contributed over $100,000 to the Clinton Foundation and money to other Democrats is about the country and the constitution....

Here would be his likely answer:

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 08:38:58 pm »
I agree, but it is his site. It's not the public square.

Then why doesn't he make it a pay-to-play site and live up to his declaration that
FR is private property.

It's one thing to object to the manner in which a thought is expressed, but it's something
else entirely to object to the thought itself, assuming the thought isn't from the fever
swamps into which enough think JR's hypocrisies are driving FR itself in one way or
the other.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline BuckeyeTexan

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2016, 08:51:25 pm »
Then why doesn't he make it a pay-to-play site and live up to his declaration that
FR is private property.

Strawman. FR is privately owned. Do you not believe in the right of private property owners to dictate what is permissible on their property so long as no laws are violated?
There are those that break and bend. I'm the other kind. ~Steve Earle

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2016, 08:52:19 pm »
Free Republic is neither a public square nor is it 'Jim's Living Room' as some like to say. Free Republic is a business. Of course, as a business, they do have the right to refuse service to anyone, however, the question arises if you are helping or hurting your business.

Many members who were recently zotted had just prior donated. Their membership and donations were based on the terms of service of the site. In essence, donations to the site really aren't donations as FR is not a 'non-profit' nor a charity, but a business (they claim to be not-for-profit but that isn't an actual legal term, just an excuse). Donations actually are closer to either a tip or a voluntary entry fee. They are giving money in exchange for a service- the service of being a member of that site as well as things like recognition (listed on donor lists, woo hoos, and pictures of cats).

No where in the terms of service donors/members agree to when signing on the site or donating states they must agree to support a certain candidate and speak only positively of him. At that, in JR's hyperbolic site statements about being about God/Country/Conservatism, it could be argued that the all-in for Trump to many members, violate those terms.

So many members in good standing, signing on and agreeing to the terms of service of the site, pay JR a voluntary membership fee. JR takes the money, then changes his mind on the terms of service, often on a whim- but still keeps said 'voluntary membership fee' but bans the member so they don't receive the service they are paying for.

Members of Free Republic are NOT guests in Jim's house- they are paying customers to his business..

Let's make an analogy of this--
Imagine you are vising a movie theater that has a voluntary ticketing system, most people pay because they feel it is right to pay to watch the movie. Then, as soon as you walk in and pay, the usher decides no one with brown hair is allowed in and kicks you out without refunding your money. They do this over and over to hundreds of customers. What do they think the reaction will be?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 08:57:32 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline Meshuge Mikey

• Master of Visual Propaganda
Have Indentified as a Male since birth!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2016, 08:56:34 pm »
Strawman. FR is privately owned. Do you not believe in the right of private property owners to dictate what is permissible on their property so long as no laws are violated?

It is technically a registered business (an LLC), not private property, and the terms of service can be viewed as a contract, so contract laws apply if someone really wants to go there. (not saying they should). The TOS is a mutual agreement and money given to the site technically isn't a donation as this is a business, not a charity, but a voluntary membership fee.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2016, 08:56:56 pm »
Very interesting.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2016, 08:59:43 pm »

No one is questioning his right to do as he pleases with his forum, but there is a concept at work here that rises up above his right.

Let's say that I call all freedom-loving Americans to come to a rally, in my ranch, to send a huge message to the Federal government about our support of the Second Amendment, and when you get to the edge of my property, I demand that you turn any weapons you may have in.

It is my right to do that, but am I not being a hypocrite by doing it?

Jim spends most of his time defending our by God! given rights... until someone says something that he doesn't agree with.

I think I would see him in a more positive light if he actually took bids on to zotting people from members as a fund raising scheme.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:00:07 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2016, 09:01:10 pm »
It is technically a registered business (an LLC), not private property, and the terms of service can be viewed as a contract, so contract laws apply if someone really wants to go there. (not saying they should). The TOS is a mutual agreement and money given to the site technically isn't a donation as this is a business, not a charity, but a voluntary membership fee.

That!
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Meshuge Mikey

• Master of Visual Propaganda
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2016, 09:02:04 pm »
the jimmy posted his ONLY TRUMP diatribe this morning I believe it was!

Im predicting a very short life expectancy for Free Republic!

he's ended debate...and the echo chamber shall henceforth be NOTHING BUT a shallow grave bereft of any DEBATE whatsoever!

ALL HALL HERR DRUMP !!!!

DRUMPFLAND UBER ALLES!!

Have Indentified as a Male since birth!

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2016, 09:17:56 pm »

Would be helpful if someone with a Login at The Federalist could post this link with the following caption:

As can be seen here most zotted freepers have moved to http://www.gopbriefingroom.com:

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?action=mlist;sort=registered;desc

I wonder if I should post this over there. :whistle:

(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2016, 09:23:59 pm »

I do believe in the right of private property. I own private property. But my home is not a
limited liability corporation, technically speaking or speaking otherwise.

And, there's also a doorbell.

Unless the doorbell is rung or a prior invitation extended, nobody has the right to enter my property.

And---big and---I don't tell people whom I invite to my home what to think or how to think.
If such a person turns out to be a bigot, or can barely speak two sentences without showing
a potty mouth, his or her first welcome into my home will also be their last. That's what a
doorbell (or a prior invitation) does for you.

If I own my house but there is no doorbell, gate, or door, then I'm the jerk for failing to
control access to my home.

If you argue FR as private property and not the LLC it actually is, it would be a private
property without a doorbell, gate, or door. The pay-to-play concept would secure FR's
private property position and serve as all three. As it is now and has been long established,
anyone could walk right in, sit right down, and chatter. If Lord Jim really wants nothing
but an echo chamber, he ought to declare it actual private property accessible by paid
membership alone. It would save him and his minions much aggravation, they could
rant their heads off on behalf of their chosen echo, and be done with the dilemna of
a discussion forum as (technically) an LLC---not to mention that of resembling stark
hypocrites exercising their own kind of censorship on a forum the first part of whose
name is free.

Had the doorbell been installed from the outset, FR would have a far better (if equivalently
distasteful) standing to control not just who is welcome in the house but what they are or
are not allowed to express while guests. And such guests would be equally free to demur
and leave. Neither would be wrong to do so.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:24:27 pm by EasyAce »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2016, 09:25:19 pm »
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3430043/posts

And then this happened:

To: Jim Robinson
Alert, Boss!! Must read!

18 posted on 5/12/2016, 2:13:19 PM by Albion Wilde (In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. --George Orwell)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2016, 09:29:22 pm »

And this happpened:

To: Night Hides Not
You still here? If you hate FR so much, why don’t you change the channel?

40 posted on 5/12/2016, 2:20:52 PM by Jim Robinson (Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 23 | View Replies]

Offline Resp3

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2016, 09:32:08 pm »
Would be helpful if someone with a Login at The Federalist could post this link with the following caption:

As can be seen here most zotted freepers have moved to http://www.gopbriefingroom.com:

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?action=mlist;sort=registered;desc

Several people already have. In effect. I've seen at least two TBR links.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2016, 09:38:01 pm »
I should create a user over there called "TransgenderTrumpFan" and see how they react to it.  :silly:

A-Lert

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2016, 09:40:06 pm »
Who cares? Get over it. You're making this place look like what you left.

geronl

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2016, 09:42:05 pm »
I did the second chapter of ESCAPE FROM THE FREE REPUBLIC for posting next week. In the 3rd I will introduce Admiral James Robinson, who is basically the leader of the bad guys.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2016, 09:46:20 pm »
I did the second chapter of ESCAPE FROM THE FREE REPUBLIC for posting next week. In the 3rd I will introduce Admiral James Robinson, who is basically the leader of the bad guys.

Ahh, but the Cruzers that's... that's where I had them. They laughed at me and made jokes but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt and with... geometric logic... that the possibility of a Trump presidency DID exist, and he'd have won if they hadn't of pulled the Trump donation records I, I, I know now they were only trying to protect some fellow Liberals...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:48:24 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2016, 09:47:08 pm »
Then comes . . .

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3430043/posts?page=30#30

To: SaveFerris; onyx; trisham; All

Dear Robert Tracinski ....

30 posted on 5/12/2016, 12:18:00 PM by musicman (Until I see the REAL Long Form Vault BC, he's just "PRES__ENT" Obama = Without "ID")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies | Report Abuse]

That's the ol' maturity . . .

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2016, 09:55:29 pm »
This same article was posted at FR:

Here is Jim Robinson's response (Post #25):
Here's my question to Jim Rob... If FR is about -- "We are and always have been heavily biased toward God, family, country and we are looking for like-minded patriots", explain to us how a man who boasts about his adultery with other women is about family. Explain what kind of God a man who says he  never sought forgiveness for his sins worships. Explain how a man who contributed over $100,000 to the Clinton Foundation and money to other Democrats is about the country and the constitution....

Jim is a fraud. I left during the last election cycle when Newt was being pimped by Jim as the savior of all and Santorum was treated like garbage. I ran the Santorum Ping and a lot of people were afraid to be on it because of repercussions from the usual group of harpies there that passed out the Zots. After that was settled and Romney was the guy, he was enemy number one for just being Mormon. Insane.

So now they are rallying around a worse piece of human debris than Newt and have no interest in advancing actual Conservatism. The place has turned into a sham to fund the Robinsons.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2016, 10:02:21 pm »
After that was settled and Romney was the guy, he was enemy number one for just being Mormon. Insane.

I remember posting a very long piece directed squarely at JimRob over tat and braced for the Zot.  I'm honestly surprised it didn't come.

Never thought what would get me the boot from there was criticism of the Orange Mussolini.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 10:02:40 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2016, 10:17:03 pm »
I remember posting a very long piece directed squarely at JimRob over tat and braced for the Zot.  I'm honestly surprised it didn't come.

Never thought what would get me the boot from there was criticism of the Orange Mussolini.

I never got the Zot but had just about enough of the petty closed minded nonsense. In my opinion that "Thread from hell" from those Romney days woke everyone up to what a stifled place it was if the Giuliani purge mess didn't. 

Offline kik5150

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2016, 10:37:07 pm »

‘Free Republic’ Now A Safe Space for Donald Trump Supporters

Read more:
http://thefederalist.com/2016/05/12/free-republic-now-a-safe-space-for-donald-trump-supporters/

Good opportunity to fill up the comment section with directions to the GOPBR.
"Trump is no conservative. He's a self-dealing charlatan and he's got a lot of fall-for anything chump types fooled."
-Jim "Chump" Robinson

geronl

« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2016, 11:06:36 pm »
It might survive the quarter, but I doubt it long survives the election year.