Author Topic: I searched the transcripts of 50 of Trump’s campaign speeches. He (almost) never mentions the Constitution, Liberty or Freedom  (Read 1434 times)

Offline BigHomer

• D'oh!
  • Homer no function beer well without
    • Not My Circus
By all accounts, Trump hasn’t exactly been a small-government conservative for the majority of his life. His support of strict gun-control laws, partial-birth abortion, government-run healthcare, his cronyism, abuse of eminent domain, support of massive tariffs and trade wars, and his donations to (and close friendships with) many left-wing Democrats, have left many are wondering why he’s running as a Republican at all. And usually, when these points are made known to one of Trump’s legions of ardent supporters, the response is either “You’re part of the establishment!” or “People change their views.”
The former response is utterly ludicrous. The latter, however, is certainly true. People can and do change their opinions. It happens often. Sometimes these opinions evolve slowly over time while other changes in opinion happen at a point in time, when a person is able suddenly understand things in a way that they never had before. I have personally experienced both of these phenomena. But, unlike his supporters, I don’t believe this describes Donald Trump. Rather, it seems to me that Mr. Trump is simply a talented showman and confident negotiator who says and does what he thinks he needs to do in order to “win”. It seems that he has no overarching principles of any kind.
In my estimation, the most important characteristic of a president by far, is his understanding of the Constitution and commitment to liberty. After all, government doesn’t exist to “win” or set economic policy or get ahead in trade wars or provide us with everything we don’t have or to give us healthcare or to educate us, etc. It exists for the sole purpose of protecting our life, liberty and property so that we can live our lives as we see fit. It is for this reason that I’m encouraged when I hear candidates talk about the founding Constitutional principles of liberty and freedom.
The problem is that Trump never does.     :chairbang:

http://poorrichardsnews.com/i-searched-the-transcripts-of-50-of-trumps-campaign-speeches-he-almost-never-mentions-the-constitution-liberty-or-freedom/
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:22:47 pm by BigHomer »
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Great find. This is a question I have asked on the threads. Now here's the answer. (No surprises.)

one snip

Let’s recap. Out of the 50 speeches that I searched, Trump made mention of the Constitution, Liberty or Freedom in only 5 of them. And of those 5 speeches, 3 instances were of Trump speaking of the inadequacy of them, while one instance was in direct response to a question about Constitutional principles.

Offline sinkspur

Trump couldn't pass a high school civics test.  He thinks Judges "signs bills."

Trump: Now, Ted’s been very critical, I have a sister, who is a brilliant, [crosstalk] excuse me, she’s a brilliant judge. He’s been criticizing… he’s been criticizing my sister for signing a certain bill. You know who else signed that bill? Justice Samuel Alito, a very conservative member of the Supreme Court, with my sister signed that bill. So, I think that maybe we should get a little bit of an apology from Ted, what do you think?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 09:27:53 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Mechanicos

Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
By all accounts, Trump hasn’t exactly been a small-government conservative for the majority of his life. His support of strict gun-control laws, partial-birth abortion, government-run healthcare, his cronyism, abuse of eminent domain, support of massive tariffs and trade wars, and his donations to (and close friendships with) many left-wing Democrats, have left many are wondering why he’s running as a Republican at all. And usually, when these points are made known to one of Trump’s legions of ardent supporters, the response is either “You’re part of the establishment!” or “People change their views.”

Rather, it seems to me that Mr. Trump is simply a talented showman and confident negotiator who says and does what he thinks he needs to do in order to “win”. It seems that he has no overarching principles of any kind.

In my estimation, the most important characteristic of a president by far, is his understanding of the Constitution and commitment to liberty. After all, government doesn’t exist to “win” or set economic policy or get ahead in trade wars or provide us with everything we don’t have or to give us healthcare or to educate us, etc. It exists for the sole purpose of protecting our life, liberty and property so that we can live our lives as we see fit. It is for this reason that I’m encouraged when I hear candidates talk about the founding Constitutional principles of liberty and freedom.
The problem is that Trump never does.

No.  He never does, which is why I went from Trump being a Secondary choice for me, to NEVERTRUMP. The more I researched, the more alarmed I got, and the more I listened to him and his throngs of rabid supporters and experienced their antics online - the more convinced I became that he is in some ways, possibly more dangerous to what remains of our liberties than Hildabeast.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

A-Lert

Great find. This is a question I have asked on the threads. Now here's the answer. (No surprises.)

one snip

Let’s recap. Out of the 50 speeches that I searched, Trump made mention of the Constitution, Liberty or Freedom in only 5 of them. And of those 5 speeches, 3 instances were of Trump speaking of the inadequacy of them, while one instance was in direct response to a question about Constitutional principles.

Out of those fifty Trump never spoke of the 2nd Amendment?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 10:11:54 pm by A-Lert »

Offline Mechanicos

Trump is for America First.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton is the Secretary of the Status Quo – and wherever Hillary Clinton goes, corruption and scandal follow." D. Trump 7/11/16

Did you know that the word ‘gullible’ is not in the dictionary?

Isaiah 54:17

Offline Gov Bean Counter

The only time Trump mentions the Constitution is when it is preceded by the word "morning".
Donald Trump - Simple solutions for the simple minded...

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Compare that to the number of times he uses the word "Force".

Silver Pines

Thank you for doing that.  I've never heard him mention liberty or small government, either.

"I, I, I, me, me, me" and "great"?  Countless times.