Poll

To best aid his electability, whom should Trump pick as his VP nominee?

Ted Cruz
2 (5.3%)
Marco Rubio
1 (2.6%)
John Kasich
3 (7.9%)
Susana Martinez, governor of NM
6 (15.8%)
Nikki Haley, governor of SC
2 (5.3%)
Scott Walker
4 (10.5%)
Mia Love (R-UT - US House)
1 (2.6%)
Rick Perry
1 (2.6%)
Jim Webb
3 (7.9%)
Someone else (please comment)
15 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: June 17, 2016, 10:23:56 pm

Author Topic: Whom Should Trump Pick As VP?  (Read 25626 times)

Offline RetBobbyMI

Re: Whom Should Trump Pick As VP?
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2016, 10:21:02 pm »
Trump risks HIS base no matter which direction he goes.  If his picks someone from the right, he risks the Dems he wants to draw from.  If he goes left, he risks losing the NeverTrumps AND the maybeTrumps.  If he picks from HIS center, he risks losing the rest of the country.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2016, 11:50:31 pm »
OK - you wanted some serious input….

Excellent post Neverdul.  Great analysis, without the one-liner BS.  I like Ryan and see where you're going with that.  Problem is he won't bring in the #nevertrumps as they don't think much of the Speaker.  Trump's problem as you pointed out is going too far to the right and walking away from the #neverhillary voters.  I still like Kasich and Martinez, as well as Haley, but I note your concern with Haley, again who might not bring in many #nevertrump votes.  But you've made some great, thought-provoking points.   :beer:

It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2016, 05:10:29 am »
Unfortunately, this fellow has gone on to his reward. It's a shame, because he and The Donald would have made a heck of a hair band, if not a presidential team.

Beam me up Scotty!
The Republic is lost.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2016, 11:51:02 am »
Beam me up Scotty!
Now there's an idea. Trump could tap Gov Brown from granola land and sandwich the country in left and right coast liberal though.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Bill Cipher

« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2016, 11:57:39 am »
Excellent post Neverdul.  Great analysis, without the one-liner BS.  I like Ryan and see where you're going with that.  Problem is he won't bring in the #nevertrumps as they don't think much of the Speaker.  Trump's problem as you pointed out is going too far to the right and walking away from the #neverhillary voters.  I still like Kasich and Martinez, as well as Haley, but I note your concern with Haley, again who might not bring in many #nevertrump votes.  But you've made some great, thought-provoking points.   :beer:

Excuse me?

Ryan's great as far as I'm concerned.  I hope he has the good sense to steer clear of a career-ending dalliance with the Orange Baboon.  He's also too much of an independent thinker, IMHO, and we know for a fact that Saint Donald hates people who don't kowtow to his personal commands. 

Bill Cipher

« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2016, 11:58:58 am »
Now there's an idea. Trump could tap Gov Brown from granola land and sandwich the country in left and right coast liberal though.

Too bad he can't go for Ahhhnold, another liberal in republican clothing, if it's bicoastalism he wants. 

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2016, 12:26:47 pm »
Excuse me?

Ryan's great as far as I'm concerned.  I hope he has the good sense to steer clear of a career-ending dalliance with the Orange Baboon.  He's also too much of an independent thinker, IMHO, and we know for a fact that Saint Donald hates people who don't kowtow to his personal commands.

You're excused.

I like Ryan too and believe he has a good future and will no doubt have presidential aspirations in the future.  But he has been excoriated by many on the right as a traitor to the GOP after the omnibus spending bill.  Selecting him for the VP slop wouldn't bring many from the right who've written Ryan off and even want him primaried.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2016, 01:00:38 pm »
Excuse me?

Man...are you in for a surprise!      :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2016, 04:27:51 pm »
Still be better than Hillary/Commie, La Raza.

If Hillary picks Julian Castro as VP, it is all over but the shouting, possibly for the next 16 years.

I've been saying that since this guy spoke at the Dem convention.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2016, 05:22:08 pm »
If Hillary picks Julian Castro as VP, it is all over but the shouting, possibly for the next 16 years.

His pick is almost a given.  Been talked about for a long time going back to 2012.  If Hillary isn't indicted, he could well bring her across the finish line.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2016, 06:27:31 pm »
His pick is almost a given.  Been talked about for a long time going back to 2012.  If Hillary isn't indicted, he could well bring her across the finish line.

He will bring her across the finish line.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2016, 07:18:13 pm »
He will bring her across the finish line.

I wouldn't bet against you, but in this election, nothing in history can predict this Fall campaign.

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2016, 08:10:43 pm »

He's a POS and you act as though we already lost.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2016, 02:42:10 am »
He's a POS and you act as though we already lost.

Yes, he's a POS.

Yes, we've already lost.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2016, 02:44:39 am »
Man...are you in for a surprise!      :whistle:

Yes massa, you gwine be da bes' massa evuh massa.  You be gwine tell dis po soul what best fo me.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2016, 03:17:06 am »
Cruz is a politician. Trump obviously is NOT. Sad that you are unable to discern the difference.

Cruz is a Conservative.  Trump, Clinton, and Sanders  are not.  Sad that you are unable to discern the difference.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

A-Lert

« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2016, 03:39:56 am »
Cruz is a Conservative.  Trump, Clinton, and Sanders  are not.  Sad that you are unable to discern the difference.

There are degrees of conservatism. Right wing ideologues will not win a national election now or the foreseeable future. Clinton and Sanders are left wing liberals. Trump is a moderate conservative who supports the 2nd Amendment and secure borders. A superior choice to either liberal. Sad that you are so blind.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2016, 07:58:20 am »
There are degrees of conservatism. Right wing ideologues will not win a national election now or the foreseeable future. Clinton and Sanders are left wing liberals. Trump is a moderate conservative who supports the 2nd Amendment and secure borders. A superior choice to either liberal. Sad that you are so blind.

Hillary was an unusually weak candidate who probably could have been beaten by either Cruz or now Trump, IMO. Just from what I've observed among friends the past few weeks.

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2016, 03:27:30 pm »
Yes, he's a POS.

Yes, we've already lost.

Confessions of your mouth......

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #119 on: May 13, 2016, 03:30:54 pm »

Sad you don't see the glaring differences.

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #120 on: May 13, 2016, 03:34:07 pm »
Hillary was an unusually weak candidate who probably could have been beaten by either Cruz or now Trump, IMO. Just from what I've observed among friends the past few weeks.

That's true but, some posters here gave up on beating her long ago.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #121 on: May 13, 2016, 04:46:35 pm »

No one here wants to see Hillary Clinton as our next President.   That's why so many of us have fought so hard to nominate someone other than Donald Trump.  It's up to Trump to overcome the doubts about his principles and temperament.  Otherwise it's Nixon vs. Nixon,  and I for one would rather just vote for Pat Toomey.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2016, 04:50:44 pm »

Uh, no. We know that Hitlary and Donny are the same.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2016, 06:12:04 pm »

So Trump is a moderate conservative in the tradition of John Boehner, Mitch McConnell, Paul Ryan, Mitt Romney, and...Richard Nixon.

So in other words, he's GOPe.
The Republic is lost.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2016, 06:58:26 pm »
There are degrees of conservatism.

There is no degree of Conservatism that supports Kelo.  And there is no degree of Conservatism that defends taxpayer funding for Planned Parenthood.

Clinton and Sanders are left wing liberals.

When it comes to Kelo, Trump lines up far to the left of Sanders.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-