State Chapters > Texas

What Makes Texas Texas

<< < (2/3) > >>

GrouchoTex:
What makes Texas "Texas"

Everything between the Sabine and the Rio Grande

^-^

IsailedawayfromFR:
Texas is unique for the two exceptions given the country of Texas when it agreed to enter the Union, that no other states possesses.

1. It had the right to secede at any time.  Some will argue this is no longer a right when Texas joined the Confederacy and then returned to the Union.  Whether it is or not, it shows the wariness of the state in giving up freedoms.

2. It preserved state lands when it joined.  This was handled differently than other states as these lands became federal.  The consequence of this is still in effect today:  very little lands in Texas are in federal hands, and the state is blessed with state lands that are rich in resources, and huge amounts of lands in private hands, also which also have rich resources.  These resources are in federal hands in places like the Rockies, by and large. 

Both of these reflect the individual character of a Texan.

Ghost Bear:
I fear that what makes Texas "Texas" is slowly being eroded as more people from failing states are moving here. Look at what has happened to the states surrounding California and Massachusetts for instance, as leftists moved in and began applying the same policies that caused them to leave their original state in the first place.

Ironically, I myself am a refugee from a failed state, Michigan. I moved to Texas in Dec. 1989 and found it to be a much more free place than the state that I left. I hope we can keep it that way.

Bigun:
I'm a Texan born and bred and the answer is F R E E D O M ! ! !

GrouchoTex:
As Ray Benson of Asleep at the Wheel says"Remember, Texas isn' just a State, but a state of mind".
The south in general seems to be more hospitable than other regions, but Texans will also be frank.
We'll say "I really don't care how they did things in ______, but with a smile!
I am proud to be a Texan, no doubt. Some people from TOS liked to tell me we're stupid, backwards, racist, etc. Texas is none of the above. We tease people from other places, but I love hearing, "I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could".
Yes, life is life, and every place can have some bad apples,but I have to tell you:
In my county (Fort Bend) we have one of the highest percentages of minority home ownership in the whole country.
Racist? No, not so much!
We are all working to better our families and ourselves and, of course, our Lone Star State.
I do fear the "Californication" of it all, but even they will come around, I think.
Now that I have proven I am a Texan by talking to much, I will leave you with this:
"You can always tell a Texan, but you can't tell him much".
God bless the Lone Star State.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version