State Chapters > Texas

What Makes Texas Texas

(1/3) > >>

ABX:

--- Quote ---People in this rapidly changing state believe their way of life is under
attack, and they are making a kind of last stand by simply being Texan.

Gov. Greg Abbott’s campaign sent me an email one morning, showing the governor aiming a pump-action shotgun in my direction. This was a view of an elected official I had never seen — the get-your-hands-up view. If I contributed $25 to his campaign, I would be entered in a contest to win a shotgun. The subject line of the email read: “Shotgun!” It was a typical morning in Texas.

The prize was special, though. It was not a rare antique. It was, the email noted three times, a Texas-made shotgun.

Those are some of the most potent words in the state’s vocabulary: Texas-made......

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/08/us/what-makes-texas-texas.html

--- End quote ---

austingirl:
As they say, I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as soon as I could. My first visit was in the early 90s when my family went to San Antonio and a dude ranch in Bandera. I immediately fell in love with Texas and her people. I went looking at ranches in Bandera County. We moved to Austin in 1994, moved to Boston in 1997, but I kept my house and vowed to return.

I live in Medina now on 13 acres in a community of like-minded individuals, right down the road from a ranch I wanted to buy way back when.

I am supportive of Texas secession. We were once a Republic and could do it again with our remarkable resources and our people.

Joe Wooten:

--- Quote from: austingirl on May 08, 2016, 04:08:07 pm ---As they say, I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as soon as I could. My first visit was in the early 90s when my family went to San Antonio and a dude ranch in Bandera. I immediately fell in love with Texas and her people. I went looking at ranches in Bandera County. We moved to Austin in 1994, moved to Boston in 1997, but I kept my house and vowed to return.

I live in Medina now on 13 acres in a community of like-minded individuals, right down the road from a ranch I wanted to buy way back when.

I am supportive of Texas secession. We were once a Republic and could do it again with our remarkable resources and our people.

--- End quote ---

How are you guys liking 6 man football? I noticed Medina went back to 6 man a couple of years ago. MY old hometown of Garden City went back to 6 man in 2004 after 47 years in 8 and then 11 man.

austingirl:
Sorry I don't follow football so I can't answer.

SuperSyn:
The local TV station was interviewing some people that had just dropped off a contribution at the Marine's Toys for Tots drive prior to Christmas. They asked a young boy, about 10 or so, what they had dropped off. He answered: "Just some guns and Bibles and stuff." That is what makes Texas Texas.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version