General Category > Energy

Militants attack Chevron oil facility in Nigeria, shut down

(1/3) > >>

Smokin Joe:
http://www.pennenergy.com/articles/pennenergy/2016/05/militants-attack-chevron-oil-facility-in-nigeria-shut-down.html

Militants attack Chevron oil facility in Nigeria, shut down
May 6, 2016

Hilary Uguru, Associated Press

WARRI, Nigeria (AP) — Armed militants attacked a major Chevron oil and gas facility off Nigeria's southern coast, the military said Friday, and the U.S.-based multinational said it was forced to shut production there but its exports will continue.

A new group called the Niger Delta Avengers said it bombed Chevron's Okan platform on Wednesday and warned international companies that "the Nigerian military can't protect your facilities."

"This is what we promised the Nigeria government. Since they have refused to listen to us, we are going to bring the country's economy to zero," a statement said, threatening more attacks including in Abuja, the capital, and Lagos, the commercial center.

Security forces launched an offensive this year after militants renewed attacks ...(more at link)

http://www.pennenergy.com/articles/pennenergy/2016/05/militants-attack-chevron-oil-facility-in-nigeria-shut-down.html

Smokin Joe:
Production facilities aren't built to be hardened targets.  Same outfit as below:
(See also):

Niger Delta Avengers Blow Up Oil Pipelines To Kaduna, Warri Refineries

http://saharareporters.com/2016/05/06/niger-delta-avengers-blow-oil-pipelines-kaduna-warri-refineries%E2%80%8E

"This is a clear warning to all Niger Delta politicians, traditional rulers, community leaders and the likes of Tompolo to mind their business and leave the liberation of the Niger Delta people to the Avengers... Neither you nor the federal government can stop us. If you don’t stay clear and let us carry out our activities, we will bring the fight to your individual doorsteps. Our major goal is to cripple the Nigerian economy."  >snip<

IsailedawayfromFR:

--- Quote from: Smokin Joe on May 07, 2016, 03:17:01 am ---Production facilities aren't built to be hardened targets.  Same outfit as below:
(See also):

Niger Delta Avengers Blow Up Oil Pipelines To Kaduna, Warri Refineries

http://saharareporters.com/2016/05/06/niger-delta-avengers-blow-oil-pipelines-kaduna-warri-refineries%E2%80%8E

"This is a clear warning to all Niger Delta politicians, traditional rulers, community leaders and the likes of Tompolo to mind their business and leave the liberation of the Niger Delta people to the Avengers... Neither you nor the federal government can stop us. If you don’t stay clear and let us carry out our activities, we will bring the fight to your individual doorsteps. Our major goal is to cripple the Nigerian economy."  >snip<

--- End quote ---

I recall in my old Texaco days when we made our platform locations designed specifically to be outside artillery shelling range.  Heard a harrowing experience from one foreman whose platform was hijacked and he was forced to swim to safety to a nearby navy ship.

Nigeria made my bucket list of places not to visit a long time ago.

Smokin Joe:

--- Quote from: IsailedawayfromFR on May 07, 2016, 12:33:41 pm ---I recall in my old Texaco days when we made our platform locations designed specifically to be outside artillery shelling range.  Heard a harrowing experience from one foreman whose platform was hijacked and he was forced to swim to safety to a nearby navy ship.

Nigeria made my bucket list of places not to visit a long time ago.

--- End quote ---
I had an opportunity in the early 80s, and almost went. Glad I didn't, actually. I'm too tall and fishbelly white to be standing around on shore in the middle of a coup...

IsailedawayfromFR:

--- Quote from: Smokin Joe on May 07, 2016, 12:38:23 pm ---I had an opportunity in the early 80s, and almost went. Glad I didn't, actually. I'm too tall and fishbelly white to be standing around on shore in the middle of a coup...

--- End quote ---

Yeah, Thackney and I awhile back swapped stories on pulling back from overseas ventures at same time in same place as well years ago.....

@thackney

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version