Author Topic: Harvard Scientist, Longtime Solar Skeptic, Now Sees the Light  (Read 434 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-04/harvard-scientist-a-former-solar-skeptic-now-sees-the-light

David Keith, a Harvard University scientist, has long doubted solar energy’s potential to compete on cost with conventional power sources. Now he sees the light. “I was wrong,” largely because the fundamentals of solar power have changed, Keith, a professor of applied physics and public policy, wrote in a recent essay. “One can now build systems in the world’s sunny locations and get very cheap power.”

His reversal reflects the steep declines in producing electricity from sunlight. Even without government subsidies, power from large solar farms in some regions is now significantly below $40 a megawatt-hour and is on pace to drop below $20 by 2020, Keith wrote. That would be the cheapest power on the planet. It’s a significant shift from his earlier stance, that high costs would relegate solar power to being “green bling for the wealthy.”
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 02:08:37 am by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: Harvard Scientist, Longtime Solar Skeptic, Now Sees the Light
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 07:12:13 pm »
Now, how much of that is government subsidy, both ours and the Chinese?

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 07:23:45 pm »
Now, how much of that is government subsidy, both ours and the Chinese?

Like it or not the subsidies helped develop a technology that is showing no limit to its potential. Solar will keep improving until it's impossible to ignore.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 02:53:27 am »
Like it or not the subsidies helped develop a technology that is showing no limit to its potential. Solar will keep improving until it's impossible to ignore.

The subsidies were a waste and did nothing to improve the technology. The commercially available panels are still less than 20% efficient, and don't have a useful lifetime of more than 15 years. That is on top of a maximum theoretical capacity factor of 50%, which in reality In a desert setting is more like about 45%.