Author Topic: Obama: ‘I Might Have Ingested Some Lead Paint When I Was 2 or 3 Years Old’  (Read 518 times)

rangerrebew

Obama: ‘I Might Have Ingested Some Lead Paint When I Was 2 or 3 Years Old’

(CNSNews.com) - Speaking in Flint, Mich., today after meeting with federal responders dealing with the water crisis there, President Barack Obama said that he “might have ingested some lead paint” when he was very young.

“When I was five or six or seven, a lot of homes still had lead paint in it,” Obama said. “I might have ingested some lead paint when I was two or three years old, because at the time, people didn’t know it.

“So we’ve got an entire couple of generations of Americans who have done really well despite the fact that they may have had something that is not optimal,” the president said.

“And how lead interacts with any particular child is going to be different, and what each child needs is going to be different,” he said. “And some kids are going to be fine, and they’re not going to be affected. Some kids may have more of an--it might have more of an effect. 

“But the bottom line is, is that we now know what to do,” said Obama. “We know how to mitigate these effects.” 

Here is an excerpt from the president’s remarks [1]:

Last point.  I think people are understandably scared when they hear that their child may have ingested some lead, it may have gotten into their system, and that that may have some long-term impacts or create particular challenges for kids.  But it is really important for all of us to remember that kids are resilient.  And every kid in Flint is special, and has capacity, and can do great things.  And the fact that they may have had some drinking water that was contaminated doesn’t automatically mean somehow that they’re going to have huge problems or that they’re not going to be able to reach that potential.

And so for the parents who are out there, I want to emphasize:  Get your child checked, but be confident that your child can thrive and will be fine as long as you know what they need, and know how to access the resources that they need.  It’s useful to remember, just to keep things in perspective, that the laws banning lead paint in homes and reducing the lead that was in our environment, those laws really were put in place just a generation ago. 

When I was five or six or seven, a lot of homes still had lead paint in it. I might have ingested some lead paint when I was two or three years old, because at the time, people didn’t know it. So we’ve got an entire couple of generations of Americans who have done really well despite the fact that they may have had something that is not optimal.  And how lead interacts with any particular child is going to be different, and what each child needs is going to be different. And some kids are going to be fine, and they’re not going to be affected.  Some kids may have more of an--it might have more of an effect. 

But the bottom line is, is that we now know what to do. We know how to mitigate these effects.

Source URL: http://cnsnews.com/blog/cnsnewscom-staff/obama-i-might-have-ingested-some-lead-paint-when-i-was-2-or-3-years-old

rangerrebew

I'm kind of thinking all the "chooming" he did had more to do with his warped brain than did a piece or two of lead paint.

Online mountaineer

Who knows what he's put into his mouth over the years. Lead paint probably should be the least of his worries.   :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
Ingestion of lead paint as a 3 year old isn't his problem, it's that he ingested Islamic teachings in his formative years and Marxism in his college years, and now he just regurgitates worn out platitudes along with policies that don't work in the real world.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Wingnut

Lots of lead paint coated those Muslim Prayer Beads Obama used as a child.

Offline Charlespg

Who knows what he's put into his mouth over the years. Lead paint probably should be the least of his worries.   :pondering:
EWwwwwwww  :3:
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton