Author Topic: Neither Clinton Nor Trump  (Read 1926 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Neither Clinton Nor Trump
« on: May 06, 2016, 07:33:40 pm »

By William Kristol

http://www.weeklystandard.com/neither-clinton-nor-trump/article/2002274/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=t.co&utm_campaign=20160506_TWS-mag-neither-trump-nor-clinton-1_twitter&utm_content=TWS

THE MAGAZINE: From the May 16 Issue

May 16, 2016 | By William Kristol

"Sometimes party loyalty asks too much."

—John F. Kennedy, 1960

I have always voted for the Republican presidential candidate. From Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford to Ronald Reagan (twice) and George H. W. Bush (twice) and Bob Dole, from George W. Bush (twice) to John McCain and Mitt Romney—I've checked the box next to those eight names on all 11 occasions I've had the chance. About half the time, I've voted for someone else in the primary. But even in those cases I never hesitated before supporting the Republican nominee in the general election.

I regret none of those votes. I believe in retrospect, as I believed at the time, that in every case these men would have pursued policies better for the country than their opponents would have, and I believe now, as I did then, that in almost every case the Republican nominee was also superior to his opponent in terms of character and temperament and judgment.

My GOP presidential voting streak will end at 11. I cannot vote for Donald Trump. It's not clear that his mixed bag of motley policies would be superior to those of his Democratic opponent. He could well pick better Supreme Court justices, which is important; but he could well pursue a less sound foreign policy, which is also important. But policy is not the issue. Character is. It is clear that Donald Trump does not have the character to be president of the United States.

And it is clear Hillary Clinton ought not to be our next president either.

What to do?

Find a better choice. Recruit and support an independent candidate.

I'm not prone to encouraging or supporting independent candidacies. I've never done so. I think the two-party system has served America well. I think, all in all, the Republican party has served the country well. I could even make a case that, of all the political parties in the world, the Republican party is one of the most impressive: It's been right more often about more consequential things than almost any other.

But it was wrong to nominate Donald Trump.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Re: Neither Clinton Nor Trump
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 07:47:06 pm »
General James Mattis

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/04/08/the-secret-movement-to-draft-general-james-mattis-for-president.html

Wilson and Noonan co-authored a memo on how Mattis might capitalize on the current media environment, arguing that Trump’s “fake-macho act falls apart” before a bona fide American hero like Mattis. The general’s overall bearing “immediately blows a hole into the central narrative of Trump: his toughness,” they argue in a memo obtained by The Daily Beast. “[A]nd the drama of watching it fall apart under fire would be amazing television.”
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 07:48:32 pm by don-o »

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 07:51:10 pm »
Mattis isn't running.

Draft him. Call of Duty.

Offline washi

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 08:00:58 pm »
Admit it or not. Like it or not. One of them (assuming they each receive their party's respective nomination) will be the next president.

Between just the two of them, it's hard to predict the victor.

A third-party candidate on either side will simply guarantee victory for the opposing side.

As much as I despise and detest Trump's tactics, and as much as I simply cannot fathom the doltishness, vitriol, and mob mentality of his sect, I would NEVER be able to sleep at night if I ever did anything that helped Hillary win the presidency.
Any organization not explicitly conservative will turn liberal over time.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 08:07:43 pm »
Admit it or not. Like it or not. One of them (assuming they each receive their party's respective nomination) will be the next president.

A third-party candidate on either side will simply guarantee victory for the opposing side.

As much as I despise and detest Trump's tactics, and as much as I simply cannot fathom the doltishness, vitriol, and mob mentality of his sect, I would NEVER be able to sleep at night if I ever did anything that helped Hillary win the presidency.

I have seen an idea to target selected states to deny anyone a majority in the electoral and send it to the House.

Desperate times and all that...

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 08:19:57 pm »
I have always voted for the Republican presidential candidate. From Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford to Ronald Reagan (twice) and George H. W. Bush (twice) and Bob Dole, from George W. Bush (twice) to John McCain and Mitt Romney—I've checked the box next to those eight names on all 11 occasions I've had the chance. About half the time, I've voted for someone else in the primary. But even in those cases I never hesitated before supporting the Republican nominee in the general election.

I don't go as far back but I have the same voting history. I as well cannot get behind this nominee for a whole host of reasons. I also find it amazing that I am not the only one. Thomas Sowell is even blasting this nominee.

Can anyone remember a time when after the GOP nominee was clear, the party was as thoroughly split and fractured as it is now? Just shows you how effective a leader Trump is. He brags about being able to make deals but shows no ability to get anyone other than the Kool aid drinkers to jump on his bandwagon.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 08:21:15 pm »

That's why you try and find a guy who draws support from people on both sides who can't support either of the other two candidates. The Libertarians have tried to do that in the past.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 08:25:04 pm »
Recruit and support an independent candidate.

Kristol's having a pipe dream.  Won't happen. 

With that said, I'll either write in Cruz's name or vote for Gary Johnson of the Libertarian Party.  Is the Constitution Party running anybody?
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 08:25:05 pm »
I'd support Mattis in a heartbeat.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 08:26:56 pm »

Can anyone remember a time when after the GOP nominee was clear, the party was as thoroughly split and fractured as it is now? Just shows you how effective a leader Trump is. He brags about being able to make deals but shows no ability to get anyone other than the Kool aid drinkers to jump on his bandwagon.

One thing I would like to dig into is what maneuvers the RNC might resort to at the convention.

Offline washi

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 08:34:55 pm »
That's why you try and find a guy who draws support from people on both sides who can't support either of the other two candidates. The Libertarians have tried to do that in the past.
With what success rate?
With what damage to the (allegedly) conservative side of the election?

I'm sorry to have to point out, but your candidate of choice, in your tagline, is every bit the proven loser as are Romney and Gore.

Third party candidacies ALWAYS hurt the side of the left/right political spectrum that most identifies with the third party candidate.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 08:42:24 pm »

Third party candidacies ALWAYS hurt the side of the left/right political spectrum that most identifies with the third party candidate.

But, now we have two candidates who are both left of center. The right is wide open.

geronl

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 09:17:30 pm »
He could well pick better Supreme Court justices,

Trump was hating on Scalia in December because the justice opposed affirmative action.

geronl

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 09:20:23 pm »

Hillary and Trump are on the same side.

I want a candidate I can vote for without compromising my dignity.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 09:28:10 pm »

My history is exactly the same except for the about half the time, I've voted for someone else in the primary part. In my case it was almost 100% withe the only exception being Reagan.

This year it's a bridge to far for me. I will be voting for the Libertarian candidate.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline washi

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 10:38:50 pm »
I want a candidate I can vote for without compromising my dignity.
I get that.
I want Cruz to be the nominee.

It looks like neither one of us got what we wanted.

It will either be President Clinton, or President Trump.

My dignity won't let it be Clinton.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 11:07:16 pm »
With what success rate?
With what damage to the (allegedly) conservative side of the election?

I'm sorry to have to point out, but your candidate of choice, in your tagline, is every bit the proven loser as are Romney and Gore.

If the mainstream party candidate were acceptable, there would be no need for a third party for which to throw my vote. As for Johnson, he is not actually as much of a loser as Romney. Johnson won two gubernatorial elections to Romney's one. Johnson has lost one Presidential election to Romney's two.

There comes a time when the presence of a significant third party in the race is the product of the failure of the two parties running and a need for another option. Sometimes it's just spoilers and wannabes—but this election is not one of those times. I specifically chose Johnson because of the parties, he's the only one with a resume that even remotely comes close to showing me he's capable of performing the duties of the position, and that includes Trump and Clinton.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 11:42:32 pm »
If the mainstream party candidate were acceptable, there would be no need for a third party for which to throw my vote. As for Johnson, he is not actually as much of a loser as Romney. Johnson won two gubernatorial elections to Romney's one. Johnson has lost one Presidential election to Romney's two.

There comes a time when the presence of a significant third party in the race is the product of the failure of the two parties running and a need for another option. Sometimes it's just spoilers and wannabes—but this election is not one of those times. I specifically chose Johnson because of the parties, he's the only one with a resume that even remotely comes close to showing me he's capable of performing the duties of the position, and that includes Trump and Clinton.

Very well said Jimmy!  I right there as well.  :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

geronl

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 07:45:05 am »

My dignity won't let it be Clinton.

I won't vote for Hillary or her buddy Trump

Offline Blizzardnh

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2016, 09:18:48 am »
Kristol's having a pipe dream.  Won't happen. 

With that said, I'll either write in Cruz's name or vote for Gary Johnson of the Libertarian Party.  Is the Constitution Party running anybody?
http://www.constitutionparty.com/