Poll

Would a Cruz endorsement make you rethink your position?

Yes.
1 (2.2%)
Possibly.
2 (4.4%)
I don't know.
0 (0%)
No.
21 (46.7%)
Hell no.
21 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Question for the #NeverTrump people  (Read 9475 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Question for the #NeverTrump people
« on: May 05, 2016, 01:55:08 pm »
 :pondering:
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline sinkspur

Re: Question for the #NeverTrump people
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 02:01:59 pm »
Trump could pick St. Peter as his VP running mate and I still wouldn't vote for  him.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 02:02:17 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Resp3

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 02:05:00 pm »
What a vague question!

Rethink my position on what? To vote for Trump if Cruz endorsed him?

Or vote AGAINST him?

Please. Next time put some thought into such a vanity.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 02:10:43 pm »
What a vague question!

Rethink my position on what? To vote for Trump if Cruz endorsed him?

Or vote AGAINST him?

Please. Next time put some thought into such a vanity.

I thought the question was obvious. If your position is #NeverTrump then changing your position would make you not #NeverTrump. I'm asking if a Cruz endorsement would make you rethink boycotting Trump.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Silver Pines

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 02:11:09 pm »
:pondering:

As much as I like Ted Cruz, I don't allow politicians or anyone else to do my thinking for me.  I know what my conscience demands and I won't sell my soul by voting for Trump.

Offline Resp3

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 02:15:45 pm »
I thought the question was obvious. If your position is #NeverTrump then changing your position would make you not #NeverTrump. I'm asking if a Cruz endorsement would make you rethink boycotting Trump.

But if I were a die-hard Trumpster - a Cruz selection would be an insult. A slap in the face. I guess I could accept Trump selecting Ted. Only if he backed off that endorsement a few hours later. As is his custom.

Another angle. I have no respect for Trump. Don't trust him. And if Ted Cruz aligned with that "pathological liar"? Well yeah. I might change my mind.

And vote for Hillary on General Principle.

Like I said - a vague question.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 03:34:41 pm »
No it would not.  Why should it?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 03:38:30 pm »
To me it would reflect bad on both. Cruz endorses someone who makes fun of his wife's looks, "lyin' ted", etc. etc.

Trump burned his bridges with a lot of people I think.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 03:40:06 pm »
Trump could pick St. Peter as his VP running mate and I still wouldn't vote for  him.

Another good reason for Trump not to consider Cruz.  At least pick someone who might add something to the ticket that might give some appeal to the millions of voters not thrilled with a Hillary presidency. 
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 03:40:51 pm »
To me it would reflect bad on both. Cruz endorses someone who makes fun of his wife's looks, "lyin' ted", etc. etc.

Trump burned his bridges with a lot of people I think.

Yeah, on many levels it would be a bad combo.

Offline washi

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 03:41:41 pm »
My position, all along, has been that as bad as Trump is, Hillary is worse.

I'm not going to be a poutty little b!+ch because my candidate didn't get the nomination. I'll hold my nose and pull the lever from Trump, regardless of who endorses him, because Hillary is worse.

No change in position needed.
Any organization not explicitly conservative will turn liberal over time.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 03:46:54 pm »

I'm not going to be a poutty little b!+ch because my candidate didn't get the nomination. I'll hold my nose and pull the lever from Trump, regardless of who endorses him, because Hillary is worse.

I'm sorta here too. As bad as Trump is, I do believe he'll pick a better USSC Justice than Hillary. I don't share the opinion with the anti-Trumpers that he'll pick someone worse. If a third party guy is running strong and I really like him, I'll go with that guy though.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 03:50:39 pm »

That's the bottom line for me, and I suspect by November, for a lot more than will admit it now.  If not, we continue with what got us the last eight glorious years. 

Oceander

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 04:01:59 pm »
That's the bottom line for me, and I suspect by November, for a lot more than will admit it now.  If not, we continue with what got us the last eight glorious years. 

We continue either way because Trump will be no more republican than mayor Bloomberg from NYC was republican.  Bloomberg was a republican solely for convenience and governed just like a liberal.  Trump is a NYC republican-for-convenience and will govern just as much as a liberal as Bloomberg did.  Bloomberg was not materially different from what Clinton would have been had she been mayor of NYC and therefore since Trump will be materially the same as Bloomberg, he will also be materially the same as Clinton. 

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 04:12:08 pm »
One of my concerns is that we're overdue for an economic downturn, and I think the policies of either Hillary or Trump will make it worse than it need be.  So I think there's a very good chance that whomever gets elected in 2016 is going to find themselves -- and their party -- trounced in 2020.

Funny but true.  Seems a Republican inherits one almost every time.  If Hillary wins, they will go back to blaming Bush.  If Trump wins, it will be his fault. 

Offline Resp3

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 04:17:51 pm »

Ah yes. The "hold your nose and vote" position. That's a tried and true Republican value. We've been practicing it for years. Look at McCain and Romney as an example.

Only problem is - that results in a democrat being elected. This year will be no different.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 04:19:09 pm »
We continue either way because Trump will be no more republican than mayor Bloomberg from NYC was republican.  Bloomberg was a republican solely for convenience and governed just like a liberal.  Trump is a NYC republican-for-convenience and will govern just as much as a liberal as Bloomberg did.  Bloomberg was not materially different from what Clinton would have been had she been mayor of NYC and therefore since Trump will be materially the same as Bloomberg, he will also be materially the same as Clinton.

Maybe, but I'm just not that prescient.  Both have said what they'll do.  There is no question in my mind about Hillary; there's still some hope Trump will represent us as he's promised.  If it were up to me, Trump wouldn't be the nominee.  But he apparently will be.  There are only two choices for me, as I'm not going to hide behind morality, God, principles, etc. etc.  Politics is a dirty game no matter who's playing it.  First goal is to win.

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 04:26:51 pm »
Maybe, but I'm just not that prescient.  Both have said what they'll do.  There is no question in my mind about Hillary; there's still some hope Trump will represent us as he's promised.  If it were up to me, Trump wouldn't be the nominee.  But he apparently will be.  There are only two choices for me, as I'm not going to hide behind morality, God, principles, etc. etc.  Politics is a dirty game no matter who's playing it.  First goal is to win.

I cannot accept just Trump's word because he is a known, admitted liar when it comes to negotiations and that is what a candidacy is, a negotiation.  That Trump is already taking up liberal positions on things like the minimum wage simply proves that he's been more or less lying so far to get what he wants, even if in his book he calls it truthful hyperbole. 

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 04:44:20 pm »
I cannot accept just Trump's word because he is a known, admitted liar when it comes to negotiations and that is what a candidacy is, a negotiation.  That Trump is already taking up liberal positions on things like the minimum wage simply proves that he's been more or less lying so far to get what he wants, even if in his book he calls it truthful hyperbole.

Can't argue with any of that except for what I said, and that's just for me.  This year there may be more votes against a candidate than for one.  But I can do that.  :laugh:

Oceander

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 04:48:44 pm »
Can't argue with any of that except for what I said, and that's just for me.  This year there may be more votes against a candidate than for one.  But I can do that.  :laugh:

That's fair enough.  At the end of the day it's always a judgment call. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 04:50:12 pm »
Another good reason for Trump not to consider Cruz.  At least pick someone who might add something to the ticket that might give some appeal to the millions of voters not thrilled with a Hillary presidency.
Not to mention Cruz was rejected in part, because he was seen as far, far right--well away from mainstream American political opinion.

Therefore he might harm, not help Trump. Probably better to have someone seen as more close to the political mainstream, with track records of results.

Perry or Walker come to mind.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 04:59:27 pm »
Not to mention Cruz was rejected in part, because he was seen as far, far right--well away from mainstream American political opinion.

Therefore he might harm, not help Trump. Probably better to have someone seen as more close to the political mainstream, with track records of results.

I like both, but Walker for sure would have issues bringing out the center-left, and Perry can sometimes put his foot in his mouth.  I agree with you on Cruz.  That would be a bad choice.

Offline thackney

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 05:00:50 pm »
if I were a die-hard Trumpster

Then you would hardly be a #NeverTrump person.  Keep that original part of the question and the vagueness goes away.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

geronl

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2016, 10:38:13 pm »
I do believe he'll pick a better USSC Justice than Hillary

based on what  :shrug:

Remember that Trump absolutely detested Scalia because Justice Scalia did not think affirmative action was constitutional.

geronl

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2016, 10:39:13 pm »

Grown men hopping in the middle school girls shower is ssooooo MAINSTREAM!