Author Topic: DOJ Decides It Won’t Call People ‘Felons’ Or ‘Convicts’ Because Hurts Their Feelings  (Read 1438 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/04/doj-decides-it-wont-call-people-felons-or-convicts-because-hurts-their-feelings/?print=1

DOJ Decides It Won’t Call People ‘Felons’ Or ‘Convicts’ Because Hurts Their Feelings

Posted By Casey Harper On 5:24 PM 05/04/2016 In | No Comments

An official with the Department of Justice said the agency will no longer call people “felons” or “convicts” after they are released from prison because it is too hard on them emotionally.

Assistant Attorney General Karol Mason wrote a piece in The Washington Post Wednesday saying “many of the formerly incarcerated men, women, and young people I talk with say that no punishment is harsher than being permanently branded a ‘felon’ or ‘offender.'”

Mason said the decision is not to condone their behavior, but to use words to help them reenter society.

In my role as head of the division of the Justice Department that funds and supports hundreds of reentry programs throughout the country, I have come to believe that we have a responsibility to reduce not only the physical but also the psychological barriers to reintegration.  The labels we affix to those who have served time can drain their sense of self-worth and perpetuate a cycle of crime, the very thing reentry programs are designed to prevent.  In an effort to solidify the principles of individual redemption and second chances that our society stands for, I recently issued an agency-wide policy directing our employees to consider how the language we use affects reentry success.

This new policy statement replaces unnecessarily disparaging labels with terms like “person who committed a crime” and “individual who was incarcerated,” decoupling past actions from the person being described and anticipating the contributions we expect them to make when they return.  We will be using the new terminology in speeches, solicitations, website content, and social media posts, and I am hopeful that other agencies and organizations will consider doing the same.

This is one of many steps the Obama administration is using to help recently released offenders. President Barack Obama announced in 2015 federal agencies would no longer ask if people were felons in the early job application steps.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/04/doj-decides-it-wont-call-people-felons-or-convicts-because-hurts-their-feelings/?print=1

DOJ Decides It Won’t Call People ‘Felons’ Or ‘Convicts’ Because Hurts Their Feelings

Posted By Casey Harper On 5:24 PM 05/04/2016 In | No Comments

An official with the Department of Justice said the agency will no longer call people “felons” or “convicts” after they are released from prison because it is too hard on them emotionally.

Assistant Attorney General Karol Mason wrote a piece in The Washington Post Wednesday saying “many of the formerly incarcerated men, women, and young people I talk with say that no punishment is harsher than being permanently branded a ‘felon’ or ‘offender.'”

Mason said the decision is not to condone their behavior, but to use words to help them reenter society.

In my role as head of the division of the Justice Department that funds and supports hundreds of reentry programs throughout the country, I have come to believe that we have a responsibility to reduce not only the physical but also the psychological barriers to reintegration.  The labels we affix to those who have served time can drain their sense of self-worth and perpetuate a cycle of crime, the very thing reentry programs are designed to prevent.  In an effort to solidify the principles of individual redemption and second chances that our society stands for, I recently issued an agency-wide policy directing our employees to consider how the language we use affects reentry success.

This new policy statement replaces unnecessarily disparaging labels with terms like “person who committed a crime” and “individual who was incarcerated,” decoupling past actions from the person being described and anticipating the contributions we expect them to make when they return.  We will be using the new terminology in speeches, solicitations, website content, and social media posts, and I am hopeful that other agencies and organizations will consider doing the same.

This is one of many steps the Obama administration is using to help recently released offenders. President Barack Obama announced in 2015 federal agencies would no longer ask if people were felons in the early job application steps.

It goes further.  The government is fining companies who doing background checks "incorrectly".   A supermarket chain called Publix just paid a $6.8m settlement because their hiring process had a disclosure statement on the approval form.  The regulations require the disclosure statement to be on a separate form.  The govt is making massive sets of rules and then going after companies they don't like.

So if you have a company that handles sensitve information or money they don't want you to do background checks.   Those discriminate against minorities who have a higher incidence of criminal convictions.

Then when the employee steals money or customer data the federal govt is going after the company for failing to protect the data.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

rangerrebew

You aren't supposed to call illegals - illegal aliens.  Mooslim terrorists are to be called - makers of man made destruction.  Mooslims are not to be identified as terrorists to begin with.  I really am not sure if the hurt feelings has as much to do with Mooslims, convicts, felons, terrorists, etc., feeling better about themselves as the administration feeling better about itself in it's quest to destroy America through the use of Cloward/Piven strategies.

Offline bob434

Why even send them to prison in the first place? It might hurt heir feelings- They might feel stigmatized- they might get depressed- Better to just say "Tsk Tsk" and let them go- On second thought, we shouldn't even say that- they might take offense to it- Better to hand them money- high five em- and remove all security measures we have inplace to prevent crimes from happening- so they don;t have to work so hard committing crimes- we wouldn't want them to become exhausted committing crimes now would we?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality"

- Ayn Rand

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
bob434 wrote:
"Why even send them to prison in the first place? It might hurt heir feelings- They might feel stigmatized- they might get depressed- Better to just say "Tsk Tsk" and let them go- On second thought, we shouldn't even say that- they might take offense to it- Better to hand them money- high five em- and remove all security measures we have inplace to prevent crimes from happening- so they don;t have to work so hard committing crimes- we wouldn't want them to become exhausted committing crimes now would we?"

You wrote what you wrote above as jest or sarcasm.

But this is exactly the lefts' plan.

rangerrebew

Why even send them to prison in the first place? It might hurt heir feelings- They might feel stigmatized- they might get depressed- Better to just say "Tsk Tsk" and let them go- On second thought, we shouldn't even say that- they might take offense to it- Better to hand them money- high five em- and remove all security measures we have inplace to prevent crimes from happening- so they don;t have to work so hard committing crimes- we wouldn't want them to become exhausted committing crimes now would we?

Yes, this is the plan.  Disrupt the rule of law, pit one group against another, pit the police against the government, make the life of white Americans as miserable as possible.  Note, though, none of this is specific to blacks.  Obama knows they think whatever he does is in their best interest.  Fools.  But that isn't how Cloward/Piven works, everyone must be pitted against everyone else.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I am so ready to see Chris Christie serve as Attorney General.  I hope Trump appoints him.

Offline HootOwl

"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality"

- Ayn Rand

what sign are we to put on the  walls of polling places "It is a felony to try to vote more than once"  we'll have to change them.  cheapest thing would be to block out the first 7 words --we're only trying to save tax payers' money :pondering:

Offline flowers

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/05/doj-to-nix-felon-convict-terms-deemed-stigmatizing.html?intcmp=hplnws

A Justice Department division will no longer refer to people released from prison as “felons” or “convicts” because of the stigmatizing effects of the terms, an agency official announced in a Washington Post editorial Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Instead, Assistant Attorney General Karol Mason said the “disparaging labels” will be replaced by “person who committed a crime” or “individual who was incarcerated.” The new lexicon is set to be utilized in “speeches, solicitations, website content and social media posts” emanating from the Office of Justice Programs.

“I have come to believe that we have a responsibility to reduce not only the physical but also the psychological barriers to reintegration,” Mason wrote. “The labels we affix to those who have served time can drain their sense of self-worth and perpetuate a cycle of crime, the very thing re-entry programs are designed to prevent.”

OJP is responsible for research and development efforts to fight crime, but takes no direct law enforcement actions. The agency also works with state and local authorities.