Author Topic: Starbucks: Lawsuit over ice in chilled coffee, tea is 'frivolous'  (Read 451 times)

rangerrebew

Starbucks: Lawsuit over ice in chilled coffee, tea is 'frivolous'
USA Today Network Mary Bowerman, USA TODAY Network 4:26 p.m. EDT May 4, 2016

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2016/05/04/woman-sues-starbucks-5-million-ice-chilled-coffee-tea/83920832/

The suit claims Starbucks is misleading customers because the amount of coffee or tea in the cup doesn't match the drink size advertised.Video provided by Newsy Newslook
AFP 550337566 A FIN USA MN

A Chicago woman suing Starbucks for $5 million claims the company short-changes customers by filling chilled beverages with too much ice.

Stacy Pincus filed a federal lawsuit in Chicago last week, alleging that by using large amounts of ice, Starbucks does not provide customers with the amount of tea or coffee that the company advertises, AP reported.

"Advertising practices are clearly meant to mislead consumers when combined with the standard practice of filling a cold drink cup with far less liquid than the cup can hold," according to the lawsuit.

The lawsuit also points out that customers pay more for chilled beverages, though they receive less liquid than in Starbucks’ heated drinks.

Starbucks spokeswoman Jaime Riley, said the lawsuit is "without merit," in an email statement.

"We are aware of the plaintiff’s claims, which we fully believe to be frivolous and without merit,"  Our customers understand and expect that ice is an essential component of any “iced” beverage. If a customer is not satisfied with their beverage preparation, we will gladly remake it."

On social media, many ridiculed the lawsuit, but others noted they too believe that some of the drinks have too much ice.

A customer can always ask for light ice, according to Riley.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:18:10 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Re: Starbucks: Lawsuit over ice in chilled coffee, tea is 'frivolous'
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 12:33:04 pm »
This is just a tiny inkling of all the lunatic lawsuits empowered liberals will feel like they must file to "protect" society if another flaming liberal is POTUS for 4-8 years.   Every crackpot, self-righteous, elitist, intolerant, contempt laden liberal will come out of the dumpsters to make life a living hell.

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 12:46:45 pm »
When your whole bussiness model is geared on serving a customer base full of participation trophy entiltlement low "t" emo's   who want to be regarded as more impressive, successful, or important than they really are..... you going to get this...in spades.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 05:10:42 am »
Starbucks: Lawsuit over ice in chilled coffee, tea is 'frivolous'
USA Today Network Mary Bowerman, USA TODAY Network 4:26 p.m. EDT May 4, 2016

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/nation-now/2016/05/04/woman-sues-starbucks-5-million-ice-chilled-coffee-tea/83920832/

The suit claims Starbucks is misleading customers because the amount of coffee or tea in the cup doesn't match the drink size advertised.Video provided by Newsy Newslook
AFP 550337566 A FIN USA MN

A Chicago woman suing Starbucks for $5 million claims the company short-changes customers by filling chilled beverages with too much ice.

Stacy Pincus filed a federal lawsuit in Chicago last week, alleging that by using large amounts of ice, Starbucks does not provide customers with the amount of tea or coffee that the company advertises, AP reported.

"Advertising practices are clearly meant to mislead consumers when combined with the standard practice of filling a cold drink cup with far less liquid than the cup can hold," according to the lawsuit.

The lawsuit also points out that customers pay more for chilled beverages, though they receive less liquid than in Starbucks’ heated drinks.

Starbucks spokeswoman Jaime Riley, said the lawsuit is "without merit," in an email statement.

"We are aware of the plaintiff’s claims, which we fully believe to be frivolous and without merit,"  Our customers understand and expect that ice is an essential component of any “iced” beverage. If a customer is not satisfied with their beverage preparation, we will gladly remake it."

On social media, many ridiculed the lawsuit, but others noted they too believe that some of the drinks have too much ice.

A customer can always ask for light ice, according to Riley.
It is still coffee or tea. By the time the ice melts it is just a mite less strong.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 05:13:20 am »
lol.

Yes, it is frivilous.

But fast food places fill cups with ice and a 32 ounce cup gives you 9 ounces of soda.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 05:24:31 am »
lol.

Yes, it is frivilous.

But fast food places fill cups with ice and a 32 ounce cup gives you 9 ounces of soda.
The last few I have been in, they hand you the cup. I pass on the ice as a rule.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 07:15:35 am »
The rare times I buy a soda from a fast food place I say "No ice." It's cold enough from the machine anyways, and if I'm paying for 500ml I'm getting 500 ml.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink