Author Topic: He’s a jerk, but now he’s our jerk. And yes, he can win.  (Read 386 times)

Offline floppingaces

• Flopping Aces

Donald Trump has won the Indiana primary in landslide. With Ted Cruz dropping out and barring a coup d'etat at the convention he is the nominee.

Trump's negatives are very high (but then, so are Hillary's) but it is undeniable that there is a hunger out there for what he represents. And that is, being out of the yoke of the establishment. Statements such as this
"The media has created the perception that the voters choose the nomination. That's the conflict here,"
really piss people off. The GOP overlords make clear that your vote doesn't matter. It's an Outer Limits kind of thing:

https://youtu.be/FCcdr4O-3gE

Voting for Trump makes people feel like they still are part of a democracy and they want a voice. For better or worse, Trump is not beholden to mega donors. In fact, they're sitting on their checkbooks, and frankly, that will provide Trump with even more appeal to the average voter.

Trump can win. He can beat Hillary. Some interesting rumblings are afoot. There is a recent Rasmussen poll showing Trump over Hillary 41-39:
Last week, Rasmussen Reports gave voters <a href="http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/24_opt_out_of_a_clinton_trump_race" target="_self">the option of staying home on Election Day if Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are the big party nominees[/url], and six percent (6%) said that’s what they intend to do for now. Clinton and Trump were tied with 38% support each; 16% said they would vote for some other candidate, and two percent (2%) were undecided.

But Trump edges slightly ahead if the stay-at-home option is removed. Trump also now does twice as well among Democrats as Clinton does among Republicans.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey of Likely U.S. Voters finds Trump with 41% support to Clinton’s 39%. Fifteen percent (15%) prefer some other candidate, and five percent (5%) are undecided. (To see survey question wording, <a href="http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/questions/pt_survey_questions/april_2016/questions_trump_vs_clinton_april_27_28_2016" target="_self">click here[/url].)
Trump has reached a new high level of support among Republicans:
Donald Trump reached a new high among Republicans in a national NBC News|SurveyMonkey <a href="https://www.scribd.com/doc/311260980/NBC-News-SurveyMonkey-Toplines-and-Methodology-4-25-5-1?secret_password=jpU80onpMHZCvWbAkw44" target="_blank">poll[/url] released Tuesday.

The real estate mogul has 56 percent support, more than doubling his advantage over Ted Cruz, who sits at 22 percent. John Kasich rounds out the survey with 14 percent support. An additional 7 percent remain undecided.
But it's later on in the article that things get interesting:
In a hypothetical head-to-head matchup, Clinton beats both Trump and Cruz, though many voters haven’t surveyed haven’t decided who they would vote for. Of those who did, however, Clinton tops Trump by 6 percentage points (43 percent to 37 percent) and Cruz by 14 percentage points (44 percent to 30 percent).
Six points is not a big lead for now and that was with Cruz in the race. But here's why Trump can win. A CNN/ORC poll shows Clinton leading 54-41 but again, it's in the nitty gritty where the important stuff lies:

Read more at: http://www.floppingaces.net/2016/05/04/hes-a-jerk-but-now-hes-our-jerk-and-yes-he-can-win/

Online massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: He’s a jerk, but now he’s our jerk. And yes, he can win.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 05:47:48 pm »
He’s a jerk delusional megalomaniac, but now he’s our jerk delusional megalomaniac. And yes God help us, he can might win.

There, fixed it.

geronl

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 05:50:01 pm »
Trump is not an outsider.

Trump is establishment.

Trump is beholden to mega donors if he wants to win.

Trump will depend on the GOP infrastructure for his campaign, he has none of his own.

Oh and he is NOT my candidate, will NEVER be my candidate.

If "little guys" are in favor of abortion, corporate handouts, higher taxes, bigger government, men in the girls restrooms..... aren't they just liberals....

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 05:54:57 pm »
Why should I vote for a jerk just because he's "our" jerk?  And how is he "our" jerk?    How does the GOP of Donald Trump resemble in any way the GOP I've spent 40 years supporting?

To paraphrase the Gipper,  I didn't leave the GOP, it left me.  Why should I be "loyal" to the nomination of a megalomaniacal proto-fascist who attracts the loyalties of alt-right cockroaches?     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 06:04:28 pm »

If "little guys" are in favor of abortion, corporate handouts, higher taxes, bigger government, men in the girls restrooms..... aren't they just liberals....

Yup!

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 06:16:31 pm »
Any article that cites that flawed Rasmussen poll should be completely discounted.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 06:24:27 pm »
He's not my jerk either.

For the first time in my life, I no longer consider myself a Republican.

Any party that would nominate someone devoid of character without a single conservative principle is no longer my party.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 06:30:15 pm »
All I can say is He is a Jerk-Off.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 06:44:40 pm »
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Silver Pines

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 06:54:16 pm »
Oh, no...no way.

If you go down the list of what Trump has said and done, it's clear that he's not a jerk; he's a raging sleazebag.  I'll have nothing to do with him.

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 06:55:51 pm »
He's not my "jerk," and I ain't voting for him.  Period.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus