Author Topic: The crisis in the Republican Party is even worse than it looks  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: The crisis in the Republican Party is even worse than it looks
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2016, 01:26:14 am »
Trump is a far superior candidate to Hillary Clinton period.

Absolutely!   :thumbsup2:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2016, 01:26:59 am »
Trump lied, acted like a belligerent bleep towards real conservatives like Cruz and Walker, and acted like a braggart. For all this he was actually rewarded by the GOP electorate. If that is what it takes to win these days... no thanks.

:facepalm2:   The drama. 

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2016, 09:30:14 am »
I wasn't referring to his style, but to some of his talking points. Stop talking about keeping the border open and giving amnesty to illegals, start talking about closing the border and enforcing existing law. Stop appearing to promote big business over the little guy. Things like that.

Trump hasn't really done anything impressive yet. He barely won the primary. Didn't even dominate it to the extent of Romney, although he may have gotten more votes (not sure), his rivals also got more votes. I saw a statistic the other day which showed that Trump's opponents, when totaled together, got more votes than Donald. And polls show him losing vs. Hillary by double digits. If Donald wins, I would agree that there's something there, but if the election were held tomorrow he would lose even worse against Hillary, who is a much weaker candidate than Obama was in 2012.

So why should we emulate him again?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2016, 11:51:54 am »
Another constitutional convention could be disastrous. Remember that Obama was elected with a 51% majority, that means the next Constitutional Convention would be representing that same 51%. We'd end up with a liberal constitution, essentially. No checks on power whatsoever.

Article V Convention is not the same as a Constitutional Convention.

They are two separate and distinct things.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2016, 11:57:19 am »
Article V Convention is not the same as a Constitutional Convention.

They are two separate and distinct things.

Yes I gathered that after I made that comment. My point was that the population was dumb enough to elect Obama. For an entirely new Constitutional Convention, the results could be disastrous. The population would write an idiotic "Bill of Rights", for example.

But yes an Article V convention would be an entirely different animal. It would be interesting to see it play out. Where would it be held, for example? Could we really get all the state legislatures to ratify the amendments?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 02:20:06 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline oldmomster

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2016, 12:19:23 pm »
conservatives need to take some lessons from what worked to win Mr. Trump the support that he got, and use that to fine-tune the conservative message and make it more acceptable to the populace at large.

I see your point, but it's looking like the opportunity for that was pre-obama. 

how do you fine tune abortion?  like abortions only on tuesdays, boys one weeks, girls the other?  how do you fine tune civil rights?  grant it to flavor of the day costume wearing mental cases who want to marry their computer or dog while scoping out the kiddies in the bathroom?  freetrade?  yeah, I like that one - china can send as much crap as they want tariff free to flood the markets cause its BETTER if lowincome families can afford more games/clothes/dvds/tvs etc - we can export what - baristas?

trump got the support of the people because he said what they wanted to hear.  hoping to get a president that would fix things using 'rule of law' instead of 'cult of personality' was just a dream. 

I pity my kids - they will be the ones telling the stories to THEIR children about what freedom used to be like.