Author Topic: President Obama is urging Congress to pass TPP  (Read 236 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
President Obama is urging Congress to pass TPP
« on: May 03, 2016, 02:19:23 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/finance/trade/278459-president-obama-is-urging-congress-to-pass-tpp

President Obama on Monday said Congress needs to pass a sweeping Asia-Pacific trade agreement to ensure the United States takes the reins of global trade in the region instead of China.

The Obama administration is working closely with lawmakers on Capitol Hill to build support for the 12-nation Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), arguing that delaying votes on the deal will make it harder to pass the agreement, the president said in a Washington Post op-ed.

"The world has changed," Obama said. "The rules are changing with it," he said.
"The United States, not countries like China, should write them. Let’s seize this opportunity, pass the Trans-Pacific Partnership and make sure America isn’t holding the bag, but holding the pen."

He argued that the deal will grow the U.S. economy and strengthen national security.

"But none of this will happen if the TPP doesn’t become a reality," Obama said.

"That’s because the Asia-Pacific region will continue its economic integration, with or without the United States," he said.

"We can lead that process, or we can sit on the sidelines and watch prosperity pass us by."

Congressional leaders have said that the deal won't likely be considered until the lame-duck session after the November elections.

"I understand the skepticism people have about trade agreements, particularly in communities where the effects of automation and globalization have hit workers and families the hardest," Obama said.

"But building walls to isolate ourselves from the global economy would only isolate us from the incredible opportunities it provides," he said.

"Instead, America should write the rules. America should call the shots. Other countries should play by the rules that America and our partners set, and not the other way around."
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates