Author Topic: Bill Kristol Reconsidering #NeverTrump: "Never Say Never"  (Read 1533 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Bill Kristol Reconsidering #NeverTrump: "Never Say Never"
« on: May 03, 2016, 01:34:00 pm »
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/05/02/bill_kristol_reconsidering_nevertrump_never_say_never.html

Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol says he might be open to reconsidering his #Never Trump position. "On the one hand, I’ll say #NeverTrump, and on the other hand, I’ll say never say never. I'll leave it ambiguous," Kristol said on Steve Malzberg's Newsmax program Monday afternoon.

BILL KRISTOL: There are things Trump could do that would win over some of the doubters...

For me it is more of a matter of character, and I don't know if you can change your character... The way he demeans other people.

I mean, I guess never say never. On the one hand, I’ll say #NeverTrump, and on the other hand, I’ll say never say never. I'll leave it ambiguous.

Radio host Sean Hannity strongly criticized Kristol this afternoon for floating the idea of a third party run against Trump, saying that, "that is basically doing everything he can do to elect Hillary Clinton."

"Kristol and George Will want the Republicans to lose and are actively working to make that happen," Hannity said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Bill Cipher

Re: Bill Kristol Reconsidering #NeverTrump: "Never Say Never"
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 01:37:41 pm »
#NeverTrump

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 01:43:37 pm »
Hannity is the leading media throne-sniffer for Trump so naturally he's angry at #NeverTrump.

Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 01:51:33 pm »
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/05/02/bill_kristol_reconsidering_nevertrump_never_say_never.html

Radio host Sean Hannity strongly criticized Kristol this afternoon for floating the idea of a third party run against Trump, saying that, "that is basically doing everything he can do to elect Hillary Clinton."

"Kristol and George Will want the Republicans to lose and are actively working to make that happen," Hannity said.

Bullspit.   Kristol and Will and millions of others don't want Republicans to lose.  We want TRUMPISM to lose.   That's a righteous and unselfish cause.   And it could even save the House,  if a third party candidacy provides an honorable way for conservatives to come out on Election Day,  and vote for Republicans down the ballot.   
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 01:53:18 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 10:00:12 pm »
Shut up Hannity! :nono:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 11:17:11 pm »
Bill Kristol can go suck eggs! #NEVERTRUMP!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:17:33 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline annieokie

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 12:33:34 am »
  NEVER TRUMP

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 12:46:01 am »
NEVER TRUMP

Lets all remember, that NeverTrump simply means AlwaysHillary...they are indistinguishable in effect and ethics.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 02:32:45 am »
Walk it back, Bill, walk it back...

... and keep walkin' back -- right out the door!

Addendum:
Mr. Kristol ain't the only one who's gonna be backtrackin' o'er the next few weeks!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 02:33:28 am by Fishrrman »

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 03:32:20 am »
Third party may be the way.  Right now for the #NeverTrump people there isn't a candidate to support.  I could go for Cruz as a third party candidate.  And if you want to criticize me for saying that fine, but Donald isn't a Republican and he railroaded our election.  Gloves are off.  If its Hillary or Trump it doesn't matter at this point.  Either is bad.  So why not go third party?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 03:34:13 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 03:40:09 am »
What are you all going to do if Cruz endorses Trump?
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 03:42:40 am »

NEVERTRUMP!  I don't care who endorses him!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 03:43:08 am »

I was never a Cruz fan, so it's still #NeverTrump.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Oceander

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 03:45:06 am »

Go my separate way.  If he does so he's wrong and I have no problem saying that.  "Never" means never.

Offline BuckeyeTexan

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 03:48:03 am »
I am not a fan of Donald Trump, but if he's what it takes to keep that woman out of the WH, so be it.

She LET Benghazi happen. She can never be POTUS!
There are those that break and bend. I'm the other kind. ~Steve Earle

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 08:12:37 am »
Lets all remember, that NeverTrump simply means AlwaysHillary...they are indistinguishable in effect and ethics.

You are quite correct. There isn't a thin dime between Trump and Clinton in terms of effect or ethics.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

A-Lert

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 08:29:53 am »
I am not a fan of Donald Trump, but if he's what it takes to keep that woman out of the WH, so be it.

She LET Benghazi happen. She can never be POTUS!

I can't wait to see John "TIG" Tiegen and Mark "Oz" Geist, (Trump endorsers) members of the security team which responded to the 2012 Benghazi attack,  out on the campaign trail.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 01:50:11 pm »
Oceander wrote above:
"Go my separate way...
"Never" means never."

Hey, O, sounds like a reasoned decision to me.
I've got just the fashion accessory you're gonna need for the path you'll be travelin':

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 02:04:17 pm »
You are quite correct. There isn't a thin dime between Trump and Clinton in terms of effect or ethics.

Hillary makes Trump look like a rabid right winger.

geronl

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 02:04:45 pm »
#NeverTrump 4 Ever

geronl

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 02:05:18 pm »
Hillary makes Trump look like a rabid right winger.

ideological twins

Offline Eowyn

• Don't blame me, I voted for Ted Cruz.
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 02:07:09 pm »
Seems Kristol is back to his #NeverTrump position.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/the-trump-temptation/article/2002218

Trump wasted no time in showing that the Journal is wrong. He reminded us why serious people, including serious conservatives, cannot acquiesce in Donald Trump as their candidate.

Calling in to Fox and Friends, Donald Trump, as Politico summarized it, "alleged that Ted Cruz's father was with John F. Kennedy's assassin shortly before he murdered the president, parroting a National Enquirer story claiming that Rafael Cruz was pictured with Lee Harvey Oswald handing out pro-Fidel Castro pamphlets in New Orleans in 1963."

Snip

Tough. Donald Trump should not be president of the United States. The Wall Street Journal cannot bring itself to say that. We can say it, we do say it, and we are proud to act accordingly.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 02:39:50 pm »

You are right, there's not a dime difference.
They agree on everything except:

1) Border control and immigration.j
2) Strengthening the military
3) Rebuilding coal and fossil fuel industries.
4) Abolishing the Iran deal.
5) Appointing justices "like Scalia" as Trump said...Clinton wants justices like "Sotomayor".
6) Oil pipeline to Canada
7) Clinton was more taxes on corporations, Trump wants far less.
8) Clinton wants to raise individual taxes, Trump wants to hold the line and/or cut.
9) Clinton wants to turn virtually every illegal into a citizen, Trump wants to deport millions
10) Trump wants to get out of crappy trade deals and force corporations back to the US, Clinton thinks our trade policy is just great.
11) Virtually every other issue imaginable.

While you may think Trump to be duplicitous and uncommitted to the above positions, he WILL be tied to them as he has made them the epicenter of his campaign. A president cannot walk away from such things, particularly when his only base of support in governing will come from the GOP members of the House and Senate. So while you may doubt him, he will have no choice politically but to hold tightly to all those positions...so his personal veracity will be controlled by political necessity. Hillary on the other hand, will work with 110% ferocity to ensure everyone of those items on the above list are imposed on all of us with a liberal tenacity that will shape the SCJ for a generation, remove your gun rights...perhaps permanently, weaken our national defense, proliferate abortion including the heinous "partial-birth" procedure, and ensure the perpetuation and triumph of the liberal cultural ideal and political correctness for the rest of our lifetimes.

Any idiot who can't see the difference between these two on policy and purpose, is being a willful fool who lacks the maturity to accept that in the contest between two evils, one of these evils is vastly worse than the other. But hey, continue on reassuring yourself with these simplistic/childish declarations that they are "both the same". It helps some to justify acting like a spoiled child, and will ensure the hegemony of extreme Leftist governance under the purview of Mrs Clinton.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 02:43:47 pm by Mesaclone »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 02:50:59 pm »
Nothing on their identical ethics? A rather large part of my point?

Trump says things. He won't do them. No one can force him to do so because you (and yes, I am being personal) will excuse, spin or lap up any reason he gives for changing his mind. If he gives no reason, you'll invent justifications for him.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 02:59:20 pm »
Nothing on their identical ethics? A rather large part of my point?

Trump says things. He won't do them. No one can force him to do so because you (and yes, I am being personal) will excuse, spin or lap up any reason he gives for changing his mind. If he gives no reason, you'll invent justifications for him.

You are just rationalizing. And as far as their ethics, for argument's sake lets accept your assertion that they are the same. Even in that scenario, both candidates are linked to their party platforms and to what is possible with party support. It won't matter about who is spinning justifications, a GOP president could not get a GOP congress to approve..in today's political environment...large corporate tax increases. A Dem President with a Dem congress certainly could..and will. Likewise with SCJ appointments. Hillary will pick a FAR leftist and a Dem congress will approve. Trump may not pick who you would like, but he cannot pick a Far Leftist even if he wanted to...which he does not...because a GOP congress would block it. Both will have some autonomy, but neither can run too far afield from their own base. Basic understanding of political structure...and plain common sense...make this an obvious truism.

So whether or not you see them as similar on ethics...it cannot be denied that both have no choice but to depend on their own parties if they wish to achieve anything. There may be isolated instances where one or the other could overcome that factor, but they cannot consistently do so without losing all authority...not to mention losing re-election.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 03:00:07 pm by Mesaclone »