Author Topic: Just getting rolling...  (Read 7610 times)

Offline uglybiker

Re: Just getting rolling...
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2016, 01:59:08 pm »
I'm sure they did!
I was a wee lad at the time so I couldn't even tell you where it was.
I do remember my father talking a lot about making cement for that 'new'  DFW Airport.
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2016, 02:03:41 pm »
I'm sure they did!
I was a wee lad at the time so I couldn't even tell you where it was.
I do remember my father talking a lot about making cement for that 'new'  DFW Airport.

It was on Navigation right next to the ship channel.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2016, 02:07:33 pm »
Sad to say, but roughly half of all geologists are below average (Engineers, too).

I thank God that half was not all we had, as no wells would ever be drilled and we would have no oil industry
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2016, 02:12:43 pm »
Sad to say, but roughly half of all geologists are below average (Engineers, too).

That's because they only got into it because Uncle Charlie told them they could make LOTS of money!  Most of the bad ones hate what they do for a living but are trapped and can't or won't get out.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2016, 08:37:37 pm »
That's because they only got into it because Uncle Charlie told them they could make LOTS of money!  Most of the bad ones hate what they do for a living but are trapped and can't or won't get out.
There may be something to that. Even as an undergrad, you could tell who had a passion for it. (Just look at the reactions to spending the weekend traveling and doing a survey of stratigraphy in the area--some of us were "All right! When do we go?" and others were "Ohhhhh. But I wanted to ..."
Out of 100 undergrads, there were maybe twenty to thirty who really had the bug, and of those only half went on to actually be working geologists instead of doing something else for a living.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2016, 09:11:22 pm »
I thank God that half was not all we had, as no wells would ever be drilled and we would have no oil industry
The optimists get the wells drilled, the pessimists make sure they pay for the drilling program. Often the real visionaries are ignored for years.
So it was with Dr. Leigh Price and the Bakken: http://www.undeerc.org/News-Publications/Leigh-Price-Paper/Default.aspx Note the Leigh C. Price and Julie A. LeFever paper of 1992 and the implications for the shale boom of today.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2016, 11:38:01 pm »
There may be something to that. Even as an undergrad, you could tell who had a passion for it. (Just look at the reactions to spending the weekend traveling and doing a survey of stratigraphy in the area--some of us were "All right! When do we go?" and others were "Ohhhhh. But I wanted to ..."
Out of 100 undergrads, there were maybe twenty to thirty who really had the bug, and of those only half went on to actually be working geologists instead of doing something else for a living.

It happened ok with my family, as I was the first of three petroleum engineers and my success was inferior to my younger siblings.  My younger brother won the highest award given by SPE, while my sister did it the right way and married a guy at top of graduating class whose dad had his own oil company.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2016, 11:39:54 pm »

And years and years of working around them will eventually tell you who fits in what category I suppose.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2016, 02:10:15 am »
And years and years of working around them will eventually tell you who fits in what category I suppose.
Nah. You could tell who would be the field hands and who would spend their career in an office before their senior year. Some did a stint in the field and got an office job later, and those were the best to work with.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2016, 02:12:25 am »
It happened ok with my family, as I was the first of three petroleum engineers and my success was inferior to my younger siblings.  My younger brother won the highest award given by SPE, while my sister did it the right way and married a guy at top of graduating class whose dad had his own oil company.
I'm the white sheep in my family--the only one who never had a government job.  :laugh:

(I tease them with that. The jobs they had were not 'normal', except for one who has a business now.)

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2016, 02:18:04 am »
Nah. You could tell who would be the field hands and who would spend their career in an office before their senior year. Some did a stint in the field and got an office job later, and those were the best to work with.

Yeah! Come to think of it you are right about that!  And the problem with that is that the ones who went straight to the office to often wound up being in a superior position to those who didn't.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 02:18:36 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien