Author Topic: The Senate disrespects military leaders  (Read 606 times)

rangerrebew

The Senate disrespects military leaders
« on: May 01, 2016, 08:20:28 am »
The Senate disrespects military leaders

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-senate-disrespects-military-leaders/2016/04/29/368124e2-0cc0-11e6-bc53-db634ca94a2a_story.html

Navy Adm. William H. McRaven in Washington in 2013. (Evan Vucci/Associated Press)
April 29

I support retired Admiral William H. McRaven’s contention that our civilian-military relationships have served this nation well in our 240 years of democracy and through multiple conflicts in which our civilian leaders directed that our military fight and die for our freedom and for our land [“Commander of bin Laden raid blasts Senate for disrespect of military leaders,” news, April 26]. I also support his pointed disappointment in and discomfort with civilian leadership that attempts to manipulate and demean decades-long career accomplishments in favor of people who may have served only months.

In my 33 years of naval experience, I have seen an amazing array of leaders; some lead by size and presentation, some by their ability to persuade, some by their ability to make distress and hardship into humor, some by their ability to empathize. Yet they were all leaders. Not everyone relates to every leader. Not every leader is perfect. Perfect doesn’t exist. Congress apparently is trying to create a leadership-driven service that is perfect. In doing so, it is creating a service that is becoming leaderless. It is trying to perfect a service by finding faults instead of reinforcing good service, leadership and honor.

We’re sending the wrong people to boot camp!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 08:21:50 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Hank Rearden

Re: The Senate disrespects military leaders
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 08:33:02 am »
civilian leadership that attempts to manipulate and demean decades-long career accomplishments in favor of people who may have served only months.

It's more than the Senate that disrespects true leaders in the military. Notice the litmus tests on "transgenders," gay "rights," women in combat, and views on a certain "religion of peace." Education at the service academies and ROTC programs reflect these priorities. Promotion within the senior ranks does too.

Very concerned about what will be left to salvage even if a decent C-in-C assumes command next January. Morale is comparable to the armed services in the 70s post-Vietnam. The Army is having significant problems recruiting potential officers through ROTC and OCS programs. The Navy just gutted its tattoo policy for enlisting because the recruitment numbers just aren't there.
"The enemy never sees the backs of my Texans." - Gen. Robert E. Lee

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 12:20:58 pm »
It's more than the Senate that disrespects true leaders in the military. Notice the litmus tests on "transgenders," gay "rights," women in combat, and views on a certain "religion of peace." Education at the service academies and ROTC programs reflect these priorities. Promotion within the senior ranks does too.

Very concerned about what will be left to salvage even if a decent C-in-C assumes command next January. Morale is comparable to the armed services in the 70s post-Vietnam. The Army is having significant problems recruiting potential officers through ROTC and OCS programs. The Navy just gutted its tattoo policy for enlisting because the recruitment numbers just aren't there.

Welcome aboard, Hank!! :patriot:  I hope you feel free to share your thoughts and concerns with everyone in the Briefing Room. *look* The more everyone contributes, the better we all understand a subject. :headbang:

I really don't think the left/progressives/rhinos want a strong military.  The approach now is almost schizoid; sending troops everywhere in the world while downsizing the number of enlisted and the senior officers.    Just as the north suffered at the start of the Civil War for a lack of good senior officers, our military is likely to suffer also.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 01:09:54 pm »
I am not in the military, but from what I've read from veterans, they are not worthy of respect. They're turning the military into a PC experiment while real veterans and war heros are dying from neglect at the VA.

Respect is earned, not automatic.

Offline Hank Rearden

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 05:53:21 pm »
Welcome aboard, Hank!! :patriot:  I hope you feel free to share your thoughts and concerns with everyone in the Briefing Room.

Thank you for the warm welcome. Will definitely check out and share in the Briefing Room.

I really don't think the left/progressives/rhinos want a strong military.

Fully agree. Some because they're ignorant. Others because they're domestic enemies.
"The enemy never sees the backs of my Texans." - Gen. Robert E. Lee