Author Topic: Storming of the barricades: Hundreds of Shia protesters invade Baghdad's Green Zone, tearing down the blast walls and breaking into Iraq's parliament  (Read 432 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3567130/Storming-barricades-Hundreds-Shia-protesters-invade-Baghdad-s-Green-Zone-tearing-blast-walls-breaking-Iraq-s-parliament.html

Hundreds of supporters of Shi'ite Muslim cleric Moqtada al-Sadr stormed into Baghdad's Green Zone and broke into the Iraqi parliament building.

The protesters, who had gathered outside the heavily fortified district, known as the Green Zone, crossed a bridge over the Tigris River chanting: 'The cowards ran away!' in apparent reference to departing lawmakers before breaking into the parliament building.

The staggering scenes came after Sadr denounced Iraq's politicians' for their failure to reform a political quota system blamed for rampant corruption.

Offline flowers

How much US military equipment and intel will Isis/Iran get from this gift from teamobama?

Offline flowers

Biden makes surprise visit to Iraq in effort to boost fight against ISIL

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/04/28/biden-makes-surprise-visit-iraq/83640754/

WASHINGTON — Vice President Biden made a surprise visit to Iraq Thursday for what aides described as an effort to nurture the Iraqi government and build momentum for the fight against the Islamic State.

Wearing his trademark aviator sunglasses, Biden stepped off a C-17 military transport plane at Baghdad International Airport, shook hands with U.S. Ambassador Stuart Jones and saluted Army Lt. Gen. Sean MacFarland, who commands the Operation Inherent Resolve mission against the terrorist group in Iraq and Syria. He's scheduled to meet with government leaders.

I guess some messages are too sensitive to be transmitted electronically these days.

Offline mirraflake

Should have let Saddam and his 2 sons run the place. Now I know why he was so tough on the people to keep them in line.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 06:21:32 pm by mirraflake »

Offline flowers

Should have let Saddam and his 2 sons run the place. Now I know why he was so tough on the people to keep them in line.
Yes I fully agree.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
mirraflake wrote:
"Should have let Saddam and his 2 sons run the place. Now I know why he was so tough on the people to keep them in line."

Sadly, you're right.

Think of the blood, mountains of treasure, and reputation we wasted on "nation building" there (and in Afghanistan, as well).

All for naught...

Aside:
Especially when two precisely-aimed "big ones" would have been all that was needed to "send 'em the appropriate message" ...

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
My view is that Iraq was a settled place in 2010; but that there were still plenty of failures in getting it in that condition. My view is also that Iran, Syria and others helped fight the US forces in Iraq or else, aided Jihadis, allowing them to plan attacks say from Syria, Assad harbored Saddam's brother until he was forced to give him up and the war was almost expanded into Syria.

I think the biggest error was withdrawing troops from Iraq.