Author Topic: Weather  (Read 38778 times)

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: Weather
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2016, 03:43:55 pm »
Austin area got hit with another 2-3 inches this morning, just in time for rush hour. Expected to rain off and on all day.
Just passed through where I work.
Rained about 2 hours, here in Katy.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2016, 03:55:13 pm »
Austin area got hit with another 2-3 inches this morning, just in time for rush hour. Expected to rain off and on all day.

It was ugly! 

geronl

« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2016, 09:39:40 pm »
I see more rain coming, something popped up over Medina and there is something up there farther north too

Offline M1078

« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2016, 02:59:40 pm »
Prayers extended for the soldiers lost at Fort Hood.  It saddens me to know they were in the same model truck as my avatar.  Unfortunately 18-20 year olds think when someone tells them the truck can ford 40" of water they believe that's any water.  While the truck weighs over 17k pounds it can be washed off a road with under 12" of MOVING water.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 03:00:16 pm by M1078 »
Former FR macnjac

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2016, 03:19:28 pm »
Prayers extended for the soldiers lost at Fort Hood.  It saddens me to know they were in the same model truck as my avatar.  Unfortunately 18-20 year olds think when someone tells them the truck can ford 40" of water they believe that's any water.  While the truck weighs over 17k pounds it can be washed off a road with under 12" of MOVING water.

Yes, terribly sad. 

Offline Idiot

« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2016, 04:25:09 pm »

Saw that on the news last night....absolutely horrible.

We had a lady in Breckenridge die a couple of days ago in similar circumstances.  Her husband was driving and drove into moving water.  The water came up fast...he was able to get his handicapped son out of the truck, then went back for his wife and she had already perished.  He then dragged her lifeless body for a mile to get it out of the water.  Then our local tv station had the gile to interview him on tv......he could hardly talk.....   I can't even imagine.......

geronl

« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2016, 05:04:32 pm »
I don't know what people are thinking when they try to drive through fast moving water

Offline uglybiker

« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2016, 05:34:05 pm »
That's why here in Arizona we have 'Stupid Driver' laws. if you try to drive through a flooded wash and get stuck,  and emergency services has to rescue you,  you get stuck with the bill.
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!

Offline M1078

« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2016, 06:13:14 pm »
That's why here in Arizona we have 'Stupid Driver' laws. if you try to drive through a flooded wash and get stuck,  and emergency services has to rescue you,  you get stuck with the bill.

In San Antonio if you drive around a barrier blocking a flooded street it's a $400 fine.  If you have to be rescued then you get the bill.
Former FR macnjac

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2016, 06:40:32 pm »
18-20 year old kids usually aren't out joy riding in military vehicles without some NCO in charge. No one should have been driving in or around Owl Creek when flash flooding is predicted. That's just crazy. I've seen tanks flipped over in those creeks.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 06:41:22 pm by RetBobbyMI »
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Idiot

« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2016, 06:59:02 pm »
You think your skeeters are bad....lol.  Check this out.

http://www.facebook.com/jessie.baker.56679/videos/633942910092140/

Offline Idiot

« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2016, 07:04:52 pm »
Story of the man carrying his dead wife a mile to save her body.  Very sad......

http://www.people.com/article/texas-flood-victim-husband-body?xid=socialflow_facebook_peoplemag

Offline M1078

« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2016, 07:32:22 pm »
18-20 year old kids usually aren't out joy riding in military vehicles without some NCO in charge. No one should have been driving in or around Owl Creek when flash flooding is predicted. That's just crazy. I've seen tanks flipped over in those creeks.

NCOIC could have been in the back not in the co-driver's seat.  Also I knew a lot of NCOs back in the day that didn't have much sense either (officers for that matter) it's not a course section at PLDC.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 07:32:47 pm by M1078 »
Former FR macnjac

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2016, 07:54:43 pm »
NCOIC could have been in the back not in the co-driver's seat.  Also I knew a lot of NCOs back in the day that didn't have much sense either (officers for that matter) it's not a course section at PLDC.
Oh believe me I know.  I don't know how many reports of survey I've done or seen that easily found negligence from pure stupidity.  Some at Fort Hood very similar to this case.  Incidentally, almost at the same location.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2016, 08:07:09 pm »
In San Antonio if you drive around a barrier blocking a flooded street it's a $400 fine.  If you have to be rescued then you get the bill.

Actually, it's a Texas state law: driving around a flood barricade is a Class B misdemeanor. The penalty can be up to 180 days in jail and/or a fine of up to $2000, plus the cost of any rescue if one is necessary. I suspect that the municipality can set the actual penalty, up to the limits imposed by the State law.
Let it burn.

geronl

« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2016, 08:24:12 pm »
. I've seen tanks flipped over in those creeks.

whoa!!

Offline thackney

« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2016, 12:57:18 am »

I am officially tired of the rain
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #117 on: June 04, 2016, 01:02:24 am »

I am officially tired of the rain

We are just getting what many of us prayed so hard for a couple of years ago!

I promised I would never complain about rain again but it is becoming difficult to keep that promise.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #118 on: June 04, 2016, 01:14:39 am »
Wow, @thackney, I'll bet that does get old. 

What is the dam around the house made of? 

Offline thackney

« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2016, 01:52:17 am »
It is rubber material, like a thin tire.  AquaDam.com

Offline thackney

« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2016, 02:17:45 am »
Our house, yes.  5 guys with me manning the pumps to control the seepage.

I'm 5 miles from the Brazos, 1.2 miles from Oyster Creek.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2016, 02:28:29 am »
Do they have any idea if the Brazos has crested in your area?  I saw on tv tonight that Lake Possum Kingdom (west of DFW), had opened all flood gates, which empties into the Brazos.  Sadly there is more water likely headed your way.  This has been unreal.  Prayers for your safety buddy.

Yes, prayers for your safety!

geronl

« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2016, 02:30:14 am »
Wow, @thackney, I'll bet that does get old. 

What is the dam around the house made of?

As a guess I bet its inflated with an electric pump probably made like a giant inner-tube and on the outside its likely burlap or something

geronl

« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2016, 02:30:54 am »
It is rubber material, like a thin tire.  AquaDam.com

That was my guess.

5 pumps! wow

Offline thackney

« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2016, 03:09:57 am »
As a guess I bet its inflated with an electric pump probably made like a giant inner-tube and on the outside its likely burlap or something

We used a large gasoline fueled pump to fill, borrowed from the local volunteer fire department.  Still using and others to pump out the seepage.