Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 421024 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #2375 on: March 02, 2021, 12:17:56 am »
When I read your comment about dragging things out, the immediate thing that came to my mind was George RR Martin. LOL.

John Norman

John Norman - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › John_Norman
John Norman is the pen name of John Frederick Lange Jr. (born June 3, 1931), who is the author of the Gor series of fantasy novels, and a professor of philosophy.

No. of  Gor books, 34

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

BassWrangler

« Reply #2376 on: March 02, 2021, 02:25:00 am »
It's pretty funny, though I kind of dislike some of the negative satire it made of our military.

Yeah, I picked up on that early in episode 1 and decided to pass.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2377 on: March 02, 2021, 02:27:25 am »
When I read your comment about dragging things out, the immediate thing that came to my mind was George RR Martin. LOL.

@BassWrangler

You don't like Game of Thrones?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2378 on: March 02, 2021, 03:45:37 am »
@BassWrangler

Never watched an episode.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2379 on: March 02, 2021, 04:31:29 am »
Never watched an episode.

@Smokin Joe

Then you have cheated yourself.

I generally hate stuff like that,but one day I had caught up on all the series I was watching,so I decided to watch an episode to see why everybody liked it so much. Never missed an episode after that,and hated seeing it end.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2380 on: March 02, 2021, 04:32:15 am »
@Smokin Joe

Then you have cheated yourself.

I generally hate stuff like that,but one day I had caught up on all the series I was watching,so I decided to watch an episode to see why everybody liked it so much. Never missed an episode after that,and hated seeing it end.
Well, if you recommend it so strongly, I will check it out.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2381 on: March 02, 2021, 04:34:15 am »
Well, if you recommend it so strongly, I will check it out.

@Smokin Joe

I will be interested in reading what you have to say after you have watched a couple of episodes.

BassWrangler

« Reply #2382 on: March 02, 2021, 06:03:46 am »
@BassWrangler

The books? I lost interest after I read the available books. Instead of an arc, the story line just kept on going up, and I didn't feel it was worth hanging around waiting for the author to finish them.

The TV series I really enjoyed, except for the ending.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2383 on: March 02, 2021, 11:45:42 am »
All these replies,and no mention of the Analog Science Fiction and Fact,or Issac Asimov's Science Fiction monthly mags?

BEST damn reading you  can get in the mail each month.

So good I have even given a years subscription to both to the children of friends that I knew to be very bright. So far I am batting a big fat 0 on this. One is in the Air Force as enlisted swine,and his sister who also got gift subscriptions is a bar bitch with an impressive arrest record. I doubt either did anything but throw them away.

Lost contact with the other families.

@sneakypete

When I was 12 I discovered Asimov’s SF magazine. And I read it religiously until I was in college.  When I was 13 I submitted a story I wrote to them. Naturally they rejected it. It was my first rejection letter. But it made me cry. Like I said, I was really young, and it was the first.

So I wrote back to them telling them how hurt I was and that I was 13. And here’s the beauty thing. I got a reply from them, on official stationary etc, stating that I shouldn’t let this get me down, I just just keep writing and I had a very good chance of becoming a writer when I was an adult. And the dang thing was signed by the man himself, Dr. Asimov!

Now of course I know better, it was signed with one of those instant pens and written by someone who worked there. I seriously doubt the good Doctor had time to write to one of his fans. But at the time it comforted me, and I kept on writing , instead of just quitting, like I was going to.

I didn’t know these magazines were still in print, I’m going to check them out. Thanks!
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2384 on: March 02, 2021, 01:57:24 pm »
The books? I lost interest after I read the available books. Instead of an arc, the story line just kept on going up, and I didn't feel it was worth hanging around waiting for the author to finish them.

The TV series I really enjoyed, except for the ending.

@BassWrangler

I have to confess I had never even heard of the books before the TV series,and still haven't read them.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2385 on: March 02, 2021, 02:00:44 pm »
@sneakypete

When I was 12 I discovered Asimov’s SF magazine. And I read it religiously until I was in college.  When I was 13 I submitted a story I wrote to them. Naturally they rejected it. It was my first rejection letter. But it made me cry. Like I said, I was really young, and it was the first.

So I wrote back to them telling them how hurt I was and that I was 13. And here’s the beauty thing. I got a reply from them, on official stationary etc, stating that I shouldn’t let this get me down, I just just keep writing and I had a very good chance of becoming a writer when I was an adult. And the dang thing was signed by the man himself, Dr. Asimov!

Now of course I know better, it was signed with one of those instant pens and written by someone who worked there. I seriously doubt the good Doctor had time to write to one of his fans. But at the time it comforted me, and I kept on writing , instead of just quitting, like I was going to.

I didn’t know these magazines were still in print, I’m going to check them out. Thanks!

@Gefn

More than that,they are available in digital versions if you prefer,and delivered to to you via email if you prefer.

Being a geezer,I still MUCH prefer having something I can hold in my hand and turn pages on.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #2386 on: March 02, 2021, 02:03:27 pm »
@Gefn

More than that,they are available in digital versions if you prefer,and delivered to to you via email if you prefer.

Being a geezer,I still MUCH prefer having something I can hold in my hand and turn pages on.

So do I. @sneakypete  I do own a Kindle but I’ve hardly used it.

BassWrangler

« Reply #2387 on: March 02, 2021, 05:21:48 pm »
@BassWrangler

I have to confess I had never even heard of the books before the TV series,and still haven't read them.

@sneakypete - you haven't missed anything. Honestly, this is one of those few times when the TV series or movie was more enjoyable than the books. Usually I read the books and get frustrated that the TV show/movie didn't stick to the exact plot in the books. Here I read the books because I wanted to skip ahead on the TV show, but then was frustrated with the rambling, non-converging style of the author, and the slow pace of new book releases.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2388 on: March 03, 2021, 12:33:30 am »
@sneakypete - you haven't missed anything. Honestly, this is one of those few times when the TV series or movie was more enjoyable than the books. Usually I read the books and get frustrated that the TV show/movie didn't stick to the exact plot in the books. Here I read the books because I wanted to skip ahead on the TV show, but then was frustrated with the rambling, non-converging style of the author, and the slow pace of new book releases.

@BassWrangler

Even though Game of Thrones became one of my all-time favorite series once I started watching it out of curiosity,I have a confession to make. I have NEVER liked fantasy Sci-Fi and would have never watched the first episode if I had even a faint suspicion that there would be dragons showing up later in the series.

By the time the dragons did show up,I was cheering them on.

And it didn't have a single thing to do with the blonde,blue-eyed double-breasted hottie that was their master.

Ok,it might have had a little to do with her.

What can I say?  I'm a weak man.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2389 on: March 03, 2021, 01:03:22 am »
Anyone else watching "Debris" on NBC? New Sci-Fi show that looks to be promising. Only one episode has aired so far,but it seems to be aimed at adults capable of thinking,who don't mind things getting a little "Rod Sterling".

Frankly I am a little surprised that something like this is being aired in Prime Time on a network normally devoted to the mindless.

I am watching it on NBC's streaming channel. I still get the advertisements,but the picture is clearer.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 01:04:51 am by sneakypete »

BassWrangler

« Reply #2390 on: March 03, 2021, 01:17:43 am »
Anyone else watching "Debris" on NBC? New Sci-Fi show that looks to be promising. Only one episode has aired so far,but it seems to be aimed at adults capable of thinking,who don't mind things getting a little "Rod Sterling".

Frankly I am a little surprised that something like this is being aired in Prime Time on a network normally devoted to the mindless.

I am watching it on NBC's streaming channel. I still get the advertisements,but the picture is clearer.

Thanks for the heads-up on this one. I just added it to my list. Am a bit skeptical, because it's NBC, but worth a watch to see.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2391 on: March 03, 2021, 04:26:41 am »
Thanks for the heads-up on this one. I just added it to my list. Am a bit skeptical, because it's NBC, but worth a watch to see.
I think this is the link: https://www.nbc.com/debris/video/pilot/4319063

C S Lewis

BassWrangler

« Reply #2392 on: March 03, 2021, 05:48:22 am »
I think this is the link: https://www.nbc.com/debris/video/pilot/4319063

Thanks. I have YouTube TV, so I searched for it and found it there, and then added it to my library. I noticed they have the season pilot available with VOD, so should be able to watch that even though it's already aired.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2393 on: March 03, 2021, 10:17:48 am »
Thanks. I have YouTube TV, so I searched for it and found it there, and then added it to my library. I noticed they have the season pilot available with VOD, so should be able to watch that even though it's already aired.

@BassWrangler

I watched it on NBC's streaming channel. All episodes will be streamed there,starting the day after the original broadcast. Like with the broadcast,there will be commercials,but commercials don't bother me. They give me an opportunity to go to the bathroom,get a cup of coffee,check my emails,etc,etc,etc.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #2394 on: March 03, 2021, 11:39:53 am »
@BassWrangler

I watched it on NBC's streaming channel. All episodes will be streamed there,starting the day after the original broadcast. Like with the broadcast,there will be commercials,but commercials don't bother me. They give me an opportunity to go to the bathroom,get a cup of coffee,check my emails,etc,etc,etc.

@sneakypete

I also get Peacock for free, from Xfinity. I will add it to my que. thanks for the heads up.

Resident Alien is on tonight! Dang, that show keeps getting better and better. It’s got to be the best SF series I’ve seen (not counting Star Treks) since Alien Nation was on Fox. (Also not counting Twilight Zone)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2395 on: March 13, 2021, 03:28:00 am »

Posted this here because only a Trekkie will understand why this is funny.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline verga

« Reply #2396 on: March 15, 2021, 10:46:51 am »
Tuned into SyFy via my computer to catch up on "Resident alien". No I need to subscribe to FIOS in order to watch the channel.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2397 on: March 15, 2021, 12:43:04 pm »
Tuned into SyFy via my computer to catch up on "Resident alien". No I need to subscribe to FIOS in order to watch the channel.

Basic cable channels and network TV has turned into Tier II substandard programming rife with advertising and infomercials. I will pay zilch for any premium content.  With what I get with Netfilx, Prime, and Sling, I will never run out of watchable stuff.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2398 on: March 15, 2021, 01:30:16 pm »

@verga

I just watch it on NBC,either from my antenna or my ROKU on streaming NBC,but I just looked it up on my ROKU,and there are 7  services providing it for free,not counting the sci-fi network.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2399 on: March 15, 2021, 01:32:22 pm »
Basic cable channels and network TV has turned into Tier II substandard programming rife with advertising and infomercials. I will pay zilch for any premium content.  With what I get with Netfilx, Prime, and Sling, I will never run out of watchable stuff.

@catfish1957

I don't mind the commercials. In fact,I kinda look forward to them because they give me a break to run to the bathroom,get a cup of coffee,etc,etc,etc. No big deal at all,and MUCH preferable to having to pay a premium price to not have them,and end up having to hit the pause button instead.