Author Topic: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre  (Read 419375 times)

Offline Mod1

The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« on: April 28, 2016, 06:29:58 am »
For the discussion of all that is of the Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, or Superhero persuasion.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:57:11 pm by Free Vulcan »

geronl

Re: The Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Spy, and Superhero Genre
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 07:36:04 am »
Thank you, I just noticed this.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 11:02:40 am »
@kevindavis might be interested in this, if he's still around.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 11:18:22 am »
I'm still here
"If we die, we want people to accept it. We're in a risky business, and we hope that if anything happens to us it will not delay the program. The conquest of space is worth the risk of life."

Gus Grissom

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 11:32:02 am »
Battletech/MechWarrior is my favorite genre.  'Nuff said!
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 11:39:25 am »
Star Trek  (TOS, ENT, TNG), SG1, SGU, Firefly, BSG (old and new), Farscape, and Buck Rodgers are my favorite Sci-fi shows. I'm sure I missed a couple.
"If we die, we want people to accept it. We're in a risky business, and we hope that if anything happens to us it will not delay the program. The conquest of space is worth the risk of life."

Gus Grissom

geronl

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 12:40:15 pm »
Star Trek  (TOS, ENT, TNG), SG1, SGU, Firefly, BSG (old and new), Farscape, and Buck Rodgers are my favorite Sci-fi shows. I'm sure I missed a couple.

Among others.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 12:45:30 pm »
I've always enjoyed Star Trek too, having first watched it in syndication and The Animated Series when I was a kid in the 1970s.  But Rick Berman's take on the universe in TNG and the other successor shows just annoyed me.  And being a Romulan fan, I always thought that the producers never had a clue about what to do with them other than make them occasional villains of the week.  A lot of missed potential there (and I am probably one of the few fans out there that really liked Nemesis with Tom Hardy as Picard's evil clone).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 12:48:51 pm by Timber Rattler »
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 12:54:33 pm »

Gus Grissom

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 12:56:53 pm »
I've always enjoyed Star Trek too, having first watched it in syndication and The Animated Series when I was a kid in the 1970s.  But Rick Berman's take on the universe in TNG and the other successor shows just annoyed me.  And being a Romulan fan, I always thought that the producers never had a clue about what to do with them other than make them occasional villains of the week.  A lot of missed potential there (and I am probably one of the few fans out there that really liked Nemesis with Tom Hardy as Picard's evil clone).

I enjoyed Trek since the Star Trek The Motion Picture (Yes I do like that movie)..  I enjoyed Enterprise, but I think what killed Trek was Voyager, Berman, and Trek Fatigue.. I think Enterprise would have been better without the Temporal Time war and stuck with the story lines in Season 4.

Gus Grissom

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 02:58:23 pm »
Have to admit my all-time favorite now is Babylon 5.
For those who can, get back to the land. Homesteading is a revolutionary act of resistance.

geronl

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 03:16:25 pm »

B5 has some great stuff.

BTW, when my present WIP's are finished, I was thinking of trying to write a serial called "Escape from the Free Republic".... :p

geronl

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 08:26:06 pm »
Thought about creating a separate thread for this, but I guess it can go here just as easily:

The 2016 Hugo Awards nominations have been announced: http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-history/2016-hugo-awards/
Let it burn.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 08:29:55 pm »

Loved that show..

Gus Grissom

geronl

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 08:32:43 pm »
The 2016 Hugo Awards nominations have been announced: http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-history/2016-hugo-awards/

I hear that SJW's Always Lie was nominated... which is awesome.

The Sad Puppies didn't do as well as the Rabid Puppies but the Reverse Psychology Puppies kept tripping and puppies falling down are really cute
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 08:33:04 pm by geronl »

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 09:23:29 pm »

Loved that show..

Oh yes, Babylon 5 was my favorite show of the 90s.

My current favorites, I think, are the Arrow-verse shows on The CW: The Flash, Arrow, and Legends of Tomorrow.
Let it burn.

Online Ghost Bear

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 09:26:59 pm »
I hear that SJW's Always Lie was nominated... which is awesome.

Yes, there were several Castalia House / Rabid Puppy works nominated.  ^-^

May I ask, what's your current work in progress...?
Let it burn.

geronl

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 09:35:16 pm »
Yes, there were several Castalia House / Rabid Puppy works nominated.  ^-^

May I ask, what's your current work in progress...?

I am nearly finished with the first draft of a novella (A Child of the Pink Moon). (looking for beta readers!) and the main WIP (Second Front) is probably not far from having the first draft complete. Second Front is the regular space opera where Earth is invaded and devastated so we send a team of soldiers to their world on a suicide mission... :p  Also lends itself to being followed by a second novel.

The novella is not my regular kind of thing, but it really just introduces a character and their "story universe". If people like it, a novel could follow.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:44:22 pm by geronl »

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 09:48:58 pm »
Oh yes, Babylon 5 was my favorite show of the 90s.

My current favorites, I think, are the Arrow-verse shows on The CW: The Flash, Arrow, and Legends of Tomorrow.

My current favorite is The Expanse.. Excellent show.

Gus Grissom

geronl

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 09:51:43 pm »

This is the first cover concept I had for the novella, it's really simplified. The main characters power first showed when she was 3 and caught in a raging apartment fire. It didn't bother her....

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 10:01:50 pm »

This is the first cover concept I had for the novella, it's really simplified. The main characters power first showed when she was 3 and caught in a raging apartment fire. It didn't bother her....

Looks neat..

Gus Grissom

Offline kevindavis007

Gus Grissom

geronl

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 10:10:53 pm »

Looks neat..

and then someone gifted me a more regular-looking cover, lol. I'll think when I am done I will post the professional-looking one. The little girl in the flame pic is now what I am using as my FB avatar. I'll use it for something I am sure.

A cover for Second Front is going to be tougher. I had a simple mock-up on my blog.

I would hate to have to launch it with the mock-up as the cover.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 10:13:39 pm »
Yep.  I watched it in college.  Now I have all the seasons on DVD.  (if it ever comes out on Blu-ray... I'll upgrade it).  I really thought the season four finale - The Deconstruction of Falling Stars - was the best hour-long TV show episode I'd ever seen.

And to have part of it imitating "A Canticle for Liebowitz" was just briliant.

I agree on the Deconstruction of Falling Stars was the best hour long TV show.  I'm waiting for Babylon 5 to either show up either on Hulu, Netflix or Amazon Prime.  I would give credit to Babylon 5 for breaking the Trek Monopoly on American Sci-Fi tv..
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:15:07 pm by kevindavis »

Gus Grissom