Author Topic: Trumpism Corrupts, Continued  (Read 291 times)

Offline sinkspur

Trumpism Corrupts, Continued
« on: April 28, 2016, 01:15:28 am »
http://www.weeklystandard.com/trumpism-corrupts-continued/article/2002144#.VyFYVMKPffs.twitter

Trumpism Corrupts, Continued

4:02 PM, APR 27, 2016 | By JONATHAN V. LAST

One of the hallmarks of Trumpism is that signing on with Trump means that you can't just support the wall and leave it at that-you're required to defend every stupid thing he says, ever, until infinity. Don't take my word for it. Here's Trump Super-Fan Ann Coulter: "It's like constantly having to bail out your 16-year-old son from prison."

So what you often see is Trump supporters defending to the death an idea that, five minutes ago, they would have opposed to the death. For instance, in twenty years in politics I have never-not once-seen a pro-lifer argue that a mother who aborts her baby should be punished by the law. Literally no one in pro-life circles believes that. And this isn't a CYA position taken up because pro-lifers think that punishing women who abort isn't politically feasible- pro-lifers genuinely believe that women who abort their babies are victims, too. The single most common pro-life bumper sticker in my neck of the woods-and yours too, I bet-is the Project Rachel "Hope After Abortion" sticker with a 1-800 number for women who need counseling after having undergone an abortion. Pro-lifers really believe this stuff.

Anyway, the day after Trump decided that, yeah, come to think of it, it would be really strong to punish both abortionist doctors and the mothers who get abortions, a Trumpkin conservative I know started arguing, that, heck, the law is the law and we punish people even for something as stupid as driving too fast so of course women who abort their babies ought to get punished.

Because, Trump.

It happened again last week with Trump's trans bathroom moment. I'd bet a box of donuts that if, on April 20, you had surveyed Trump supporters on the question of whether women and girls should be forced to accept men using their bathrooms, showers, and locker rooms, somewhere north of 99 percent of them would have said, Hell no! This is the kind of PC nonsense that Trump will crush!

But then, on April 21, Trump announced that he's not just down with men using whatever bathroom or locker room they "feel" comfortable in, but that anyone trying to find a third-way option to keep these guys away from their wives and daughters is being "discriminatory." Trump didn't just cave to the LGBTQ sideā€”he led their parade.

And all of a sudden Trump supporters were claiming that the entire trans-bathroom thing was a non-issue and that, in any case it ought to be left to the states.

Why? Because, Trump.

It's impossible to know what conservative principle will be vitiated by Trump next-he's already caved on H1B visas. And religious freedom. Maybe it'll be the Second Amendment. Or the wall. Who can say.

One thing we can be sure of, is that whatever the Dear Leader says next, his people will defend it.

Because, Trump.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.