Author Topic: “A Republic, if you can keep it.” Donald Trump and the Tyranny of the Mob…  (Read 25162 times)

Offline MajorClay

Agreed.  We owe it to the people who welcomed us here to behave better than those who destroyed FR.

:amen:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sinkspur

Good one, Bigun.  Trump's supporters to a T.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline MACVSOG68

Stop kowtowing to it for starters!

That sounds to me like Trump's promise to get ride of political correctness.  Translate that into a policy that is going to turn the whole "homosexual agenda" around please. 
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline MACVSOG68

I may not agree with the Trump supporters here about their candidate, but I can certainly tell you they understand the issues all too well. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
That sounds to me like Trump's promise to get ride of political correctness.  Translate that into a policy that is going to turn the whole "homosexual agenda" around please.

Having a justice department that will actually enforce the law and fight for the law in court would be a damned good start IMHO!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 02:18:35 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

:amen:

Major Clay, your avatar is confusing me.  It's exactly like mine, which is a photograph I took with my own camera at the 9/12 Tea Party gathering in DC.

Were you standing right next to us at that event, or did you borrow my photograph??
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline MACVSOG68

Having a justice department that will actually enforce the law and fight for the law in the court would be a damned good start IMHO!

Well maybe Cruz will get a shot at AG.  Can't see him in the VP slot but since he's comfortable in court fights, AG might be a good fit.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Well maybe Cruz will get a shot at AG.  Can't see him in the VP slot but since he's comfortable in court fights, AG might be a good fit.

Nope! Can't be president and AG at the same time!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Lando Lincoln

Major Clay, your avatar is confusing me.  It's exactly like mine, which is a photograph I took with my own camera at the 9/12 Tea Party gathering in DC.

Were you standing right next to us at that event, or did you borrow my photograph??

Oceander has an archive of available and current avatars that are formatted and ready to go.  Many of ours are in that archive and it has been posted a time or two, I think.  Major may have picked your image there not knowing it was yours. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline musiclady

Oceander has an archive of available and current avatars that are formatted and ready to go.  Many of ours are in that archive and it has been posted a time or two, I think.  Major may have picked your image there not knowing it was yours.

OK.  That makes sense.  It was very weird to see my own photo on someone else's avatar, and a bit unnerving, I might add!

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline MACVSOG68

Nope! Can't be president and AG at the same time!

Then you could make a lot of money on the gambling sites with that prediction, lol.  As an aside, if anyone would ever try to hold both positions it would be Cruz.  :laugh:

A-Lert

goopo

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Yeah right.  Only Trump supporters can be that simplistic.  All you have to say to them is yuuuuuuge wall.  Forget it will have a yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge door.

Okay...I was only responding to your post.  So if there's more, what, in addition to not backing a bathroom bill, would President Cruz need to --- specifically do --  to satisfy your moral imperatives for a POTUS? 

This is a serious question.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I'm assuming that you mean limited vocabulary because he definitely talks more that he listens.

How do you know this?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I can certainly understand your feelings.

Trump is doing what he needs to do...go after every single vote he can find.  He's bringing more and more Independents and Democrats into his tent, and by extension, the Republican Party.

He has to do this because he's being savaged by Social Conservatives who fail him miserably in their election-year litmus tests.  They seem him of weak and moral character...unwilling to acknowledge his business and developer acumen.

And, of course, he's savaged by the GOPe, who fear losing their little piece of the Fiefdom known on Capitol Hill.

My dad said..."Son!  It's not how you start.  It's how you finish!  That's how people will remember you."

I'm convinced history will show Trump to be an enormously successful American President, a crude man of few words, with a erudite, keen grasp of any given issue.

He's the perfect man to be answering that phone at 3AM.

One of the issues I have with Trump is that anything is on the table so he can peg a "win"; so he can make a 'deal'. That might be a relative virtue in the business world and get the deal closed (at which point he collects his paycheck), but even there some modicum of not hosing the customer is important. Comps and freebies only go so far to soothe the disgruntled.
Most of his business seems to be straight out of the pages of Robert J Ringer's Winning Through Intimidation, only writ larger than even Ringer. He claims to be the only dealer in very high dollar real estate, so that would put him in a unique position--the only game in town for someone with that sort of property.
There appears to be some past customer dissatisfaction, especially with the 'University' and to some extent with his partners overseas who aren't so happy with http://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/a-saudi-prince-burns-donald-trump him after having done business with him.

His response? A twitter message beginning "“Dopey Prince @Alwaleed_Talal .." (standard pejorative beginning to a communique with someone he disagrees with). How many heads of state will tolerate that? Obama has been bad enough for our relationships with our allies.
Not a good way to treat a business partner (who, incidentally, is not only significantly richer than Trump, but has bailed him out a couple of times in the past).

Therein lies the concern. I don't want someone who has shown tendencies to bargain away anything or anyone for the 'win', like maybe our AR-15s or 30 round magazines for Democrat support on "the Wall". (Recall, Trump has expressed past support for an Assault Weapons Ban, although he now claims he doesn't support one).

That weathervane ideology brooks no confidence should the political winds blow foul.

I don't think you will be as happy with a POTUS who has no loyalty to those he has been helped by (maybe even GOP voters). And I have no desire to have a POTUS without a semblance of a moral compass.

If his metric of what is good or bad is solely tied to the perception of profit gained or
'making the deal' without regard to what is wrong or right, I don't want to do business with him, at any level.

Part of keeping customers in the business world, where there is competition,  can be summed up in the words of an old oilfield salesman with whom I would deal anytime (one of the very few salesmen for whom I have great respect):
"Customers are like sheep. Every now and then, you shear the wool off and they are happy to have you do it. But you can only skin them once. "
Donny will cut to the bone, and he doesn't care who or when so long as he 'wins'.

Character counts. Although that phrase gets bandied about a great deal, it is true, especially when we are looking for someone to represent the most powerful nation on the planet. Without character, that power will corrupt, and you know what they say about absolute power.

The mechanisms are in place to identify and eliminate dissenters as a matter of national security by branding them as even so little as being 'at risk' for being Domestic Terrorists--stripping good, God-fearing folks of their rights because they disagree with what the administration is doing or how it conducts business. We are already past the inflection point on the top of the slippery slope, and the wrong person in office, someone who is ruthless and does not have the solid moral compass to at least aim that in the right direction with any consistency is a hazard, not an ally. Obama won't use that because those who fancy themselves "Conservatives" would unite with those who actually are, and there would be a war on. But, if as observed, the onerous task was undertaken by someone with support from the political Right, with legions of fawning syncophants who march in lockstep with his every decree and view him as incapable of wrong, would that resistance manifest itself?

We know the answer. It is how we got to the point where the NSA et.al. monitor communications, record metadata on EVERYONE and EVERY communication. It was done by a Republican in the name of National Security. It is how we got to warrantless searches and asset seizures without ever charging, much less convicting those from whom cash and other assets are taken, in the name of the War on Drugs. Wrap it in the flag, and people will pass legislation repealing the Bill of Rights in effect, and those stripped of assets and rights will not be able to mount an effective court challenge.

That's what is at stake, every election but especially this one. That's why a principled Conservative, someone who understands and will comply with original intent is far more important to navigate these treacherous times than just someone who will go full throttle through the shoals.

Trump is a loose cannon on deck, and there is a storm rolling in.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Spot on. I commented on another thread that equating business success (especially in unsavory business) as a proof of POTUS competency must be challenged. Well done
One thing is certain. I don't want the government to be "grown". It is far beyond the original Constitutional constraints already. It needs to be put back in that cage. If you want a businessman to take care of that, get someone who runs a salvage yard. Identify the usable parts, and recycle the rest.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

C S Lewis

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98

That's what is at stake, every election but especially this one. That's why a principled Conservative, someone who understands and will comply with original intent is far more important to navigate these treacherous times than just someone who will go full throttle through the shoals.

Trump is a loose cannon on deck, and there is a storm rolling in.

Keep nailing it down, Joe!

Excellent big picture thinking. It's good work to debunk the "businessman Trumps all" boilerplate. It really does not stand up when carefully analuzed as you have so well done.

Offline mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline LadyLiberty

OK.  That makes sense.  It was very weird to see my own photo on someone else's avatar, and a bit unnerving, I might add!

I understand completely.  It is confusing!  I have the same problem with someone else using my own photograph and I've asked them to please change theirs, but they haven't.   :shrug:

Offline musiclady

I understand completely.  It is confusing!  I have the same problem with someone else using my own photograph and I've asked them to please change theirs, but they haven't.   :shrug:

Well, hopefully it's just that they haven't seen your request rather than that they're just being stubborn!  ^-^

I didn't realize that Oceander had a file of avatars, so it was a bit disconcerting, but now that I know that, I'm a little bit more at ease about it.

Still......... seeing a photo that you took yourself on someone else's posts is just weird!

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
The biggest thing any President can do to help America is get the heck outta the way.   Everything I've seen from Trump indicates "HE" is going to fix everything.  That means more regulation and more executive orders.

I believe the opposite.

He will render all regulations, EOs written and approved under an Obama Administration, void.  But he will come down swift and hard on cheaters.

"Three letter word, ladies and gentlemen!  J-O-B-S!   Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!"...VP, Joseph  Biden
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I believe the opposite.

He will render all regulations, EOs written and approved under an Obama Administration, void.  But he will come down swift and hard on cheaters.

"Three letter word, ladies and gentlemen!  J-O-B-S!   Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!"...VP, Joseph  Biden

One can only conclude one thing from that DC!

You are closet Big government liberal claiming to be a conservative!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
One can only conclude one thing from that DC!

You are closet Big government liberal claiming to be a conservative!

Regulations have strangled small business.  Suppliers can't supply.

I'm an unabashed Capitalist!   Survival of the fittest!     
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald