Author Topic: Trump Nears Nomination  (Read 381 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Trump Nears Nomination
« on: April 27, 2016, 02:45:28 pm »
Trump Nears Nomination
The Weekly Standard, Apr 26, 2016 |  By Fred Barnes

An hour before polls closed in five states last night, Our Principles PAC declared that Donald Trump would sweep all five primaries. No worry, the anti-Trump outfit said. "The path to the nomination does not hinge" on any of these outcomes.

Really? Well, the anti-Trump folks had an explanation. The five states "have always been identified" as tough places to stop the Trump juggernaut. So those results –Trump won all five by wide margins – are "neither surprising nor decisive."  This is delusional.

Trump, in fact, is on a roll. A few weeks ago, his campaign was said to be losing speed. He had peaked. Even when he won, his margins of victory were shrinking. And he couldn't get to 50 percent.

Then he won the New York primary with 60 percent a week ago. Yes, it is his home state. But now he has followed up by capturing Pennsylvania, Maryland, Connecticut, Delaware, and Rhode Island in similar blowouts. Bill Hemmer of Fox News said he won every county in all five states.

That his victories were not surprising is an indication of how Trump has taken command of the GOP race. Ted Cruz and John Kasich have become figures in his rear view mirror. The Cruz campaign, after winning in Wisconsin on April 5, has collapsed. Cruz is desperate. He now insists Trump can't beat Hillary Clinton. Only he can. This is not a convincing argument.

"I consider myself the presumptive nominee," Trump said last night. "Absolutely." I think he's not quite there. If he wins in Indiana next week, he will be. And he's in a strong position to take the state. It will take an intervening event – a Trump blunder, say – to hold him back.

As the presumptive nominee, Trump has a new obligation. "The guy who has to unite the party is the presumptive nominee," Newt Gingrich said. "That's Donald Trump." In other words, he has to take the initiative. His Republican detractors, including many conservatives, won't come to him.

Should Trump lose in Indiana, he'll still be the favorite for the presidential nomination at the Republican nomination in Cleveland in July. He may not have reached the 1,237 delegates for a majority, but he'll be awfully close.

Cruz has designated Indiana's as the crucial primary, as if it's up to him to decide which primaries matter and which ones don't. For him, Indiana is. Losing would be a fatal blow to his campaign. And Kasich's prospects, which aren't great anyway, would dissolve as well.

Picking states to emphasize hasn't worked well for Cruz. He chose to downgrade the New Hampshire and came in third. And no Republican who didn't finish first or second in New Hampshire has gone on to win the nomination.

Read more at http://www.weeklystandard.com/trump-nears-nomination/article/2002131

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: Trump Nears Nomination
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 02:49:36 pm »
Cruz has designated Indiana's as the crucial primary, as if it's up to him to decide which primaries matter and which ones don't

One of the best lines in the article - - - and so true.  It also helps to underscore why so many people hold Ted Cruz in disdain.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 02:51:55 pm »
DonaId J. Trump ‏@realDenaldTrump  38m38 minutes ago

Ppl accuse me of changing my positions daily.Not my fault! I get my positions from the Shows. But they keep having DIFFERENT people on! BAD!
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 02:53:10 pm »
Ben Shapiro ‏@benshapiro  12m12 minutes ago

Trumpsters: "#NeverTrump is too weak to stop the Trump Train!"
Trumpsters: "If Trump loses 43 states, that'll be #NeverTrump's fault!"

Ben Shapiro ‏@benshapiro  11m11 minutes ago

Trumpsters: We want to nominate a person everyone hates.
#NeverTrump: We won't vote for him.
Trumpsters: If he loses, that's your fault.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 02:57:58 pm »
Ben Shapiro ‏@benshapiro  12m12 minutes ago

Trumpsters: "#NeverTrump is too weak to stop the Trump Train!"
Trumpsters: "If Trump loses 43 states, that'll be #NeverTrump's fault!"

Ben Shapiro ‏@benshapiro  11m11 minutes ago

Trumpsters: We want to nominate a person everyone hates.
#NeverTrump: We won't vote for him.
Trumpsters: If he loses, that's your fault.

Sink, I really want to help you through this.  I know you're genuinely upset.  What can I do to help you support Donald Trump -- especially against BJ's bride?  And, please, Sink.. don't just shoot off the word "nothing".  I am serious and sincere here.

:beer:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 03:01:43 pm »
Trump Nears Nomination

Only in his fevered mind and those of his supporters!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien