Author Topic: Music Thread- Song Covers that are better than the original version  (Read 5584 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Music Thread- Song Covers that are better than the original version
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2016, 08:20:03 pm »
I can never decide which is better of those two. They are equally good, just different.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2016, 02:45:05 am »
Phil Collins - Can't Hurry Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upnrXooMh4s

Ugh.

No offense to you, but I have had to hear that song every day at work for the past God knows how many years.

Basically I'm getting drilled with this message that there's nothing I can do about my loneliness (and I've been lonely for many years—but that's grist for another thread) when what I need is a reason for hope.

And then this blasted song comes on again and I want to bash my head into the counter!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Wingnut

Offline musiclady

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2016, 02:21:32 pm »
I like listening to foreign songs where I don't know the words sometimes.

It's funnier if I do know the words, though. This was the song "I will Survive" for the Russian version of the "Rio 2" movie.  :silly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar8IAC7hoj0

I just sent that to my Russian speaking son.  That is HILARIOUS.

(Though the only word I can understand is the Thank you at the end!  ^-^)
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2016, 02:23:44 pm »
I know I probably have different musical tastes from everyone here, but I absolutely love this cover of "Somebody That I Used to Know" by Walk Off the Earth......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9NF2edxy-M

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2016, 02:55:28 pm »
Percy Grainger's adaptation of six British folk songs into his Lincolnshire Posy is to me, greater than the original stand-alone tunes

:beer:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 02:55:56 pm by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline musiclady

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2016, 02:56:28 pm »
Percy Grainger's adaptation of six British folk songs into his Lincolnshire Posy is to me, greater than the original stand-alone tunes

But how do you feel about Stokowski's Bach??

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2016, 03:02:33 pm »

But how do you feel about Stokowski's Bach??

Bach achieved his sounds naturally, not through sonic manipulation which Stokowski was very fond of.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline musiclady

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2016, 03:08:00 pm »
Bach achieved his sounds naturally, not through sonic manipulation which Stokowski was very fond of.

So you're not a fan of Switched On Bach either?  How about the Swingle Singers?   ^-^