Author Topic: Brent Bozell: An Open Letter to Conservative Friends Supporting Donald Trump  (Read 3029 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I’ve endorsed Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX)
97%
. I was a contributor to National Review’s Against Trump symposium at the beginning of the year.

Sarah Palin, Ben Carson, Mike Huckabee and Phyllis Schlafly—you are friends and allies, serious men and women for whom I have great respect. You and other conservatives disagreed.

I pen this open letter to you.

Even those of us who oppose Trump understand that he’s tapping into something that has exploded onto the national scene: disenchantment, even white-hot rage among the Republican base with the party’s establishment and the Washington status quo. You and I understand this because we were taking on the weak-kneed GOP leadership many, many years ago, back when Donald Trump was donating to Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Is Donald Trump the answer? That question’s on everyone’s mind. But there needs to be another question answered first: Does Donald Trump mean a word he says? Are conservative leaders supporting Trump prepared to live with the consequences if he doesn’t?.......

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/04/26/brent-bozell-an-open-letter-to-conservative-friends-supporting-donald-trump/

Online libertybele

That the $10,000,000.00 question I've been asking.  Does Donald J. Trump mean a word of what he says? Are conservative leaders supporting Trump prepared to live with the consequences if he doesn’t?  That is one huge reason that I cannot vote for him.  He lacks credibility.  I believe he has duped millions just like Hussein did with the whole 'hope and change' that never took place.  Only this time around folks, there is a lot more at stake; Supreme Court justices.  We are one liberal justice away from losing our 2nd amendment rights.  Secondly, I am not willing to give one of the wealthiest men in the world one of the most powerful positions in the world.  To do so would be just absolutely nuts.  There would be no stopping him.  So far the only thing that has stopped him are Cruz supporters. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

A-Lert

What GOP "leader"  has done what he says he's going to do??????? We are where we are because of the ineptitude of the GOP leadership. Many have had enough of the broken promises and solid stream of BS.

Online libertybele

What GOP "leader"  has done what he says he's going to do??????? We are where we are because of the ineptitude of the GOP leadership. Many have had enough of the broken promises and solid stream of BS.

That's a given on both sides of the aisle; however, the huge difference is Trump has always been a liberal and not he's running as GOP.  Yep the establishment is full of broken promises and B.S.  The huge difference this time around is Scalia's untimely death and more than 1 justice needs to be appointed.  Obama's executive orders are waiting to be ruled on.  Way too much at stake to pick the wrong guy. Cruz has a proven track record of conservatism and has defended the second amendment and the Constitution.  Trump doesn't and hasn't.  That's it in a nutshell. 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

A-Lert

That's a given on both sides of the aisle; however, the huge difference is Trump has always been a liberal and not he's running as GOP.  Yep the establishment is full of broken promises and B.S.  The huge difference this time around is Scalia's untimely death and more than 1 justice needs to be appointed.  Obama's executive orders are waiting to be ruled on.  Way too much at stake to pick the wrong guy. Cruz has a proven track record of conservatism and has defended the second amendment and the Constitution.  Trump doesn't and hasn't.  That's it in a nutshell.

Cruz is too exclusive. He will never beat Hillary.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

McCain and Romney almost beat Obama.    Cruz will do just fine.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline BuckeyeTexan

I found it noteworthy that Breitbart made an exception to its editorial policy and published Bozell's letter. The site seems to lean toward Trump pretty heavily.
There are those that break and bend. I'm the other kind. ~Steve Earle

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Basic logic:

--The Presidential winner will be a Republican or a Democrat (rules out the 3rd party nonsense)

--The democrat is to the left of all the Republicans

--It Trump happens to win the GOP nomination, it is logical to support him......

If you have the simple common sense that he will do more things you prefer, and fewer things you disapprove of.

Ask yourself: Was Bush I better than Mondale? Was Bush II better than Gore, than Kerry? Were McCain and Romney better than Obama?

This test works, every time.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline BuckeyeTexan

I suspect neither Cruz nor Trump will beat Hillary. I am a fan of Cruz's consistent conservatism. His record is pretty good. He went sideways a couple of times but eventually saw the light on those issues. However, I am not a fan of Cruz's campaign demeanor. It creeps me out.

One of the things I liked about Rick Perry when he was my governor was that he could be reasoned with when he made the wrong choice: TTC, Gardasil, etc. Voters would speak out and he'd acquiesce to their demands. That's a good thing. He represented and worked for us. He should've listened to us. Cruz can also be reasoned with. I like that about him. Trump worries me in that respect. He has quite the ego. Typically, that doesn't lend itself toward reasonableness.

I guess we'll see what happens with him because he's likely to be the nominee.

Offline musiclady

I suspect neither Cruz nor Trump will beat Hillary. I am a fan of Cruz's consistent conservatism. His record is pretty good. He went sideways a couple of times but eventually saw the light on those issues. However, I am not a fan of Cruz's campaign demeanor. It creeps me out.

One of the things I liked about Rick Perry when he was my governor was that he could be reasoned with when he made the wrong choice: TTC, Gardasil, etc. Voters would speak out and he'd acquiesce to their demands. That's a good thing. He represented and worked for us. He should've listened to us. Cruz can also be reasoned with. I like that about him. Trump worries me in that respect. He has quite the ego. Typically, that doesn't lend itself toward reasonableness.

I guess we'll see what happens with him because he's likely to be the nominee.

Cruz will do just fine as our nominee.  He's been given such a bum rap by both the left and the Washington cartel, that he hasn't really been seen by the general public.

There were others early on who might have been stronger personality wise (like Perry), but there's no stronger adherent to the Constitution or the principles America was founded on than Cruz.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline BuckeyeTexan

--It Trump happens to win the GOP nomination, it is logical to support him......

If you have the simple common sense that he will do more things you prefer, and fewer things you disapprove of.

Ask yourself: Was Bush I better than Mondale? Was Bush II better than Gore, than Kerry? Were McCain and Romney better than Obama?

The difference between McCain/Romney and Trump is Trump's penchant for knee-jerk, angry reactions. It truly keeps me up at night thinking about how he might respond in a tense international situation. There is a time for righteous anger and strong response. There is also a time for calm, reasoned response. Knowing the difference is key to governing.

I'm still analyzing the data on Trump. He's been in the public eye for a long time. So, there is much to analyze. I won't be voting for Hillary. To quote Trump, "I can tell you that."

Offline AnybodyButaDem

Plus he excludes the will of GOP voters in his lust for power.  Yes yes, it's the rules, but people are going to react to what he's doing in terms of wooing delegates even if it is the rules.

Purple Colorado is already a lost cause for him.
Guess who got the NYT's endorsement in the GOP primary?

Offline BuckeyeTexan

there's no stronger adherent to the Constitution or the principles America was founded on than Cruz.

:amen:

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Basic logic:

--The Presidential winner will be a Republican or a Democrat (rules out the 3rd party nonsense)

Voting for the lesser of two evils just brings you more evil, every time.

Personally, I refuse to vote for a lying leftist, whether there is a (D) or an (R) after their name.
Let it burn.

Offline Frank Cannon

What happens when Trump shifts to the Left of Hitlary on some issues and ignores others? He is signalling that he is going to shift in the near future. What exactly does that mean?

Wingnut

What happens when Trump shifts to the Left of Hitlary on some issues and ignores others? He is signalling that he is going to shift in the near future. What exactly does that mean?

The con worked.

Online libertybele

The con worked.

Exactly.  God help us.  Tonight was not a good night for Cruz and it appears Kasich's goal in staying in was to help Trump.

Looks like perhaps a Trump/Kasich ticket on the horizon.  Kasich stated he won't accept, but I think he's drooling over the deal.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I found it noteworthy that Breitbart made an exception to its editorial policy and published Bozell's letter. The site seems to lean toward Trump pretty heavily.

I've been listening to Stephen K. Bannon in the mornings (because I don't listen to Fox anymore), and I think he's coming around.  At the very least, he has started playing it down the middle instead of full Trump mode.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Basic logic:

But, Trump HASN'T won the nomination.  We'll worry about that if and when it happens.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Like the letter said he has already outed himself as liberal on health care, abortion, amnesty........The only real question is why they are supporting him.  Not if he doesn't do what he says.  I would be happy if he doesn't do what he says.  Touchback Amnesty,  Partial birth abortion. Gender neutral bathrooms and locker rooms.............He has already said it.  He is a liberal.  All that is left is for him to announce Oprah for running mate.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

A-Lert

McCain and Romney almost beat Obama.    Cruz will do just fine.

McCain and Mitt were far more moderate than  Cruz and not nearly as unpopular with their peers.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
McCain and Mitt were far more moderate than  Cruz and not nearly as unpopular with their peers.
Weren't you complaining a few minutes ago about how Washington, DC's culture was worse than Trump's—and now you're bashing Cruz for not being in the favor of that same culture?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline musiclady

Like the letter said he has already outed himself as liberal on health care, abortion, amnesty........The only real question is why they are supporting him.  Not if he doesn't do what he says.  I would be happy if he doesn't do what he says.  Touchback Amnesty,  Partial birth abortion. Gender neutral bathrooms and locker rooms.............He has already said it.  He is a liberal.  All that is left is for him to announce Oprah for running mate.

LOL!  I'm afraid that's coming soon.   And I have no doubt that Trump apologists will explain to us why the choice of Oprah was a wise one....  **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

geronl

That the $10,000,000.00 question I've been asking.  Does Donald J. Trump mean a word of what he says? 

No. Everything is negotiable. That is just an opening bid.

A-Lert

Weren't you complaining a few minutes ago about how Washington, DC's culture was worse than Trump's—and now you're bashing Cruz for not being in the favor of that same culture?

If being truthful and factual is bashing, so  be it. Cruz is just too exclusive, too staid and not particularly likeable.