Author Topic: Cruz firm readies for psychological ops at GOP convention  (Read 662 times)

Offline BuckeyeTexan

Cruz firm readies for psychological ops at GOP convention
« on: April 27, 2016, 06:08:49 am »

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/277758-cruz-firm-readies-for-psychological-ops-at-gop-convention

BY JONATHAN SWAN
April 26, 2016

A data firm working for Ted Cruz that claims to have a background in ‘psychological operations’ for foreign militaries could be the presidential candidate’s secret weapon in wooing delegates at the Republican Convention.

While Cruz’s staff have already proven adept at buttonholing delegates in convention halls around the country, another key part of the Texas Senator’s delegate-targeting operation involves the sophisticated use of technology.

Cambridge Analytica is the offspring of a British firm, SCL, which claims a background in military-style “psychological operations." It has done counter-terrorism and human rights work for foreign militaries, NATO and the U.S. government.

Funded in part by Robert Mercer, a New York hedge fund manager who has given at least $11.5 million to a pro-Cruz super-PAC, Cambridge Analytica claims to be able to predict voters’ personalities and manipulate their behavior using 5000 data points. Kaiser said the firm had purchased every available data set in the U.S.

This is the first article I've posted here. Let me have it if I'm "doin' it wrong!"  I assumed fair use and excerpt requirements are in place here.
There are those that break and bend. I'm the other kind. ~Steve Earle

A-Lert

Re: Cruz firm readies for psychological ops at GOP convention
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 06:50:30 am »
I'm no expert, but it looks fine to me.

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 07:43:37 am »
it is perfect :patriot:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline Hank Rearden

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 08:46:26 am »

Cambridge Analytica claims to be able to predict voters’ personalities and manipulate their behavior using 5000 data points. Kaiser said the firm had purchased every available data set in the U.S.

This type of demographic profiling has been going one for decades with regard to consumer spending habits (e.g. data mining Visa purchases or use of a grocery store "reward" card). It's been used to accurately predict marriages, pregnancies, job changes, college graduations, and other major life events triggering spending that can be targeted.

Should come as no surprise that such data mining and psychological profiling is (and has been) used in politics to persuade voters in general and convention delegates.
"The enemy never sees the backs of my Texans." - Gen. Robert E. Lee

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 11:16:16 am »
This type of demographic profiling has been going one for decades with regard to consumer spending habits (e.g. data mining Visa purchases or use of a grocery store "reward" card). It's been used to accurately predict marriages, pregnancies, job changes, college graduations, and other major life events triggering spending that can be targeted.

Should come as no surprise that such data mining and psychological profiling is (and has been) used in politics to persuade voters in general and convention delegates.
How do you think Obama got elected? Twice?

Psychological manipulation is the future of politics. Heck, it's already the present. I wouldn't be surprised if all the candidates are using these tactics in some form or another.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024