Author Topic: End of the Line for the 'Never-Trump' Brigade?  (Read 1435 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
End of the Line for the 'Never-Trump' Brigade?
« on: April 24, 2016, 12:12:57 pm »
End of the Line for the 'Never-Trump' Brigade?

Michael Walsh

Nate Silver, whose predictions for the 2012 presidential race turned out to be spot-on, has some bad news for the Trump-bashers:

Donald Trump has had a good run of numbers lately. While his victory in New York this week was expected, he got 60 percent of the vote, more than the roughly 55 percent projected by the polls. He appears headed for victories in Maryland and Pennsylvania, which vote on Tuesday. He’s gained ground in California and is narrowly ahead of Ted Cruz in the first public polls of Indiana. He’s added about 2 percentage points over the past two weeks in our national polling average.

You could push back against some of these details. Some of the California polls come from pollsters that have had a Trump-leaning house effect or that used an unorthodox methodology. The Indiana polls have Trump leading, but with only about 39 percent of the vote, which might not be enough if the rest of the vote consolidates behind Cruz. The national poll gains are small and may just be statistical noise.

But with Trump’s path to 1,237 delegates on such a knife’s edge, every percentage point matters. And it’s possible that Trump has moved a few voters into his column with a series of process arguments that he’s been pressing recently. The more restrained version, as you can see in a recent op-ed published under Trump’s name in The Wall Street Journal, is that the candidate who gets the most votes should be the Republican nominee — that delegates shouldn’t upend the people’s verdict. In public speeches, Trump has taken the argument a step further, describing the GOP’s nomination process as “rigged” and “crooked.”

Polling suggests that a majority of Republicans agree with at least the milder version of Trump’s argument...

It's still surprising to me that the "movement conservative" Right -- which seems largely to consist of folks who came to maturity during the glory days of the Reagan Revolution and thought they hit a triple -- can neither fathom Trump's appeal nor understand why their technical arguments bounce harmlessly off the rampaging monster from Queens.

more at:   http://pjmedia.com/election/2016/04/23/end-of-the-line-for-the-never-trump-brigade/1/

« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 12:15:32 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline libertybele

Re: End of the Line for the 'Never-Trump' Brigade?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 12:37:35 pm »
So in essence Trump is continuing to convey to his supporters that rules don't matter; he's Trump and regardless if he gets the 1237 the RNC should just hand him the nomination.  Trump feels he's above the rules and rallies his supporters to go against the rules as well which shows exactly how despicable he really is.

Add this to another reason why I cannot and will NOT vote for Trump!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 12:37:51 pm »
The "technical arguments" miss the point;  the dangers of Trumpism are existential ones.   For the GOP,  this is a takeover by the alt-right,  a means by which identitarians and nativists may seize and transform the center-right party.    For the nation,  we risk an unstable carny at the helm with the ethics of a mobster and no guiding principles other than to give the people what they want.       
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 12:46:47 pm »
The media wants to propound their idiocracy with all these polls that prove nothing except their ability to support their candidate of choice.  With that Trump's mastery of the social media, he uses it to his cause, not withstanding of the rules and processes that have been in place for more than 150 years.  He disregards a process that gave us Lincoln and Reagan and others, who didn't have a majority of delegates on the first ballot.  The polls also totally disregard the political party process and are trying to change it into a popularity selection so that they may have more influence.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 12:50:02 pm »
So Trump whined and cried like a little girl about losing the delegate but is fine with the fact that he wins all the delegates on the first ballot with less than 50% support.

Trump was enabled by the GOP, who decided they could not live with Ron Paul, designed a system where you get 100% of the delegates even if you win by 1%. Ridiculous. We truly are the stupid party. And we will lose in November in an epic slaughter.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 12:50:42 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 12:54:34 pm »
I understand Trump's appeal entirely. That is why I cannot support him, ever.

Anger, resentment, fear, and frustration amongst an electorate do not ever lead to demands for less government and a freer society.

They lead to support for authoritarian self-promoters promising the return of glory.

Include me out.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 12:55:13 pm »
The "technical arguments" miss the point;  the dangers of Trumpism are existential ones.   For the GOP,  this is a takeover by the alt-right,  a means by which identitarians and nativists may seize and transform the center-right party.    For the nation,  we risk an unstable carny at the helm with the ethics of a mobster and no guiding principles other than to give the people what they want.     

Jazz, for once I agree with you 100%.   :beer:

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 01:07:21 pm »
Add this to another reason why I cannot and will NOT vote for Trump! 

So, after Trump wins the nomination, does "Politics" officially become the pro-Hillary forum?   :pondering:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 01:08:44 pm »
So, after Trump wins the nomination, does "Politics" officially become the pro-Hillary forum?   :pondering:

No we become the pro-Gary Johnson forum. :P

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 01:38:36 pm »
End of the Line for the 'Never-Trump' Brigade

Yeah! Right!  :pigs fly:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 01:41:52 pm »

And if Trump does not get the nomination, which is still very much in doubt if it goes to a convention vote, where do all the Trumpsters go? They already convinced themselves that Republicans are evil and the party must be destroyed. When their wrecking-ball is back doing reality TV and building his empire who do they rally behind?
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 01:45:41 pm »

Anger, resentment, fear, and frustration amongst an electorate do not ever lead to demands for less government and a freer society.

They lead to support for authoritarian self-promoters promising the return of glory.

Include me out.

Perfect.  Couldn't have said it any better.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 01:47:08 pm »

Include me out.

Spot on!  :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 01:58:56 pm »
And if Trump does not get the nomination, which is still very much in doubt if it goes to a convention vote, where do all the Trumpsters go? They already convinced themselves that Republicans are evil and the party must be destroyed. When their wrecking-ball is back doing reality TV and building his empire who do they rally behind?

I believe the reaction of his supporters will be in the hands of Trump himself as he has already instilled in their heads that if he loses it will be because the system was rigged and the nomination process was unfair.  If he bows out graciously (which I doubt) and tells his supporters to support the GOP nominee they will; if he whines as usual, we may very well see a very strong backlash.  Trump's supporters will react in the fashion that Trump leads them.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 02:05:45 pm »
The media wants to propound their idiocracy with all these polls that prove nothing except their ability to support their candidate of choice.  With that Trump's mastery of the social media, he uses it to his cause, not withstanding of the rules and processes that have been in place for more than 150 years.  He disregards a process that gave us Lincoln and Reagan and others, who didn't have a majority of delegates on the first ballot.  The polls also totally disregard the political party process and are trying to change it into a popularity selection so that they may have more influence.

Great post, and Welcome to the best conservative forum on the planet. We need your help to remind some members here that conservatism is still worth fighting for. And that the Republican Party needs our influence and encouragement, not our wrecking-ball. 

:hiya:
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline LMAO

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 03:59:17 pm »

Include me out.

What he said.

So the question is, what to do if Trump is the nominee. If he's unacceptable to conservatives, and Hillary is even more, what do conservatives do?

Do we let the chips fall were they may and come back to fight another day? What will the country look like after 4 or 8 years of Trump or Hillary?

It's going to be a very difficult election season and next few years for conservatives
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2016, 04:02:15 pm »
I believe the reaction of his supporters will be in the hands of Trump himself as he has already instilled in their heads that if he loses it will be because the system was rigged and the nomination process was unfair.  If he bows out graciously (which I doubt) and tells his supporters to support the GOP nominee they will; if he whines as usual, we may very well see a very strong backlash.  Trump's supporters will react in the fashion that Trump leads them.

Not a very encouraging post judging from what we've seen so far from alot of his supporters up to now.

If Trump gets the nomination, I expect to see the same Twittering Trump as we saw in the primaries

But, I've been wrong before
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2016, 04:07:05 pm »
The Trump campaign desperately wants New York to be the end of the line for its enemi--er, opponents. Of course, the campaign has tried to make it the end of the line a few other times. Remember the South Carolina aftermath? It was supposed to be smooth sailing for Trump, and it turned out not to be so.

As I've said before, the only way they can win is if they can discourage the NeverTrump movement into thinking their voice doesn't matter anymore so that they stay home, or that the delegates see the inevitable and support Trump because that's their only realistic option. They're slowly running out of time.

This is psychological manipulation. Trump's campaign folk are not fools. They did not get this far with a toxic candidate by being incompetent fools.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

HonestJohn

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2016, 04:24:26 pm »

This.

Although, the alt-right *will*... not might transform the party.  The media will assist with that to ensure that the voting populace then leaves the party in droves.  Which, then, results in its death.

Offline Leto

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2016, 04:31:41 pm »
I feel lucky, I live in RI, so my vote doesn't matter.

I will vote 3rd party if Trump is the nominee and for pubs down ticket.
"If the devil can keep you from asking the right question he never has to worry about the answer"

THe Screwtape Letters

geronl

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2016, 06:37:50 pm »
#NeverTrump

was never about the primary.

Never means never

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2016, 11:22:35 pm »

Great post, and Welcome to the best conservative forum on the planet. We need your help to remind some members here that conservatism is still worth fighting for. And that the Republican Party needs our influence and encouragement, not our wrecking-ball. 

:hiya:
Thank you. It was common sense posts like I posted here that got me Zotted from FR.  So much for "free" thought and speech.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2016, 11:35:04 pm »
Thank you. It was common sense posts like I posted here that got me Zotted from FR.  So much for "free" thought and speech.

Most of us here were also Zotted from FR, or left on our own accord. For me I got tired of being viciously attacked for supporting the Romney/Ryan ticket in the last election. But mostly because I won't tolerate religious bigotry which ran rampant on FR, and still does.  When I announce that my dad had passed and how he gave his life to the Lord while in hospice, one bigot replied he was burning in hell because saying a prayer isn't enough. That is how nasty people there can be.