Author Topic: Why Did Rush Limbaugh Stop Telling Us What He Thinks?  (Read 26643 times)

Offline Uncle Miltie

Re: Why Did Rush Limbaugh Stop Telling Us What He Thinks?
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2016, 12:18:36 am »
It is the job of conservatives to educate every person on conservatism, the philosophy, its fundamental fairness, goodness, righteousness and especially success.

We are in the wilderness, a minority in the Republican Party.  It is necessarily our job to rebuild the intellectual foundation, persuade our fellow citizens, and form an effective political coalition in the future.

Cruz was as close as we've gotten in my adult lifetime.  If it weren't for Trump, we would have won. The Anti-Establishment fervor was earned by the Establishment, and if it weren't for the arrival of Mr. Populist, Cruz would have been coronated with no trouble.

But now we have the Trumpians with whom to deal.  That's going to be difficult.  My best advice is not to challenge them.  They will burn out when The Donald fails them and returns to his liberal instincts.  Eventually, I suspect they will find a face-saving measure and come back to the true faith, chastened.

:-)

It's another 20 year project, folks!  Time to be Happy Warriors again!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2016, 12:05:39 pm »
It is the job of conservatives to educate every person on conservatism, the philosophy, its fundamental fairness, goodness, righteousness and especially success.

We are in the wilderness, a minority in the Republican Party.  It is necessarily our job to rebuild the intellectual foundation, persuade our fellow citizens, and form an effective political coalition in the future.

Cruz was as close as we've gotten in my adult lifetime.  If it weren't for Trump, we would have won. The Anti-Establishment fervor was earned by the Establishment, and if it weren't for the arrival of Mr. Populist, Cruz would have been coronated with no trouble.

But now we have the Trumpians with whom to deal.  That's going to be difficult.  My best advice is not to challenge them.  They will burn out when The Donald fails them and returns to his liberal instincts.  Eventually, I suspect they will find a face-saving measure and come back to the true faith, chastened.

:-)

In another twenty years we will have yet another generation infused with Liberal dreck in schools, unfortunately, most will only be taught by parents infused with the same insidious dreck, and the grandmas and grandpas who can make sense of the world are of the generation that got messed up (politically speaking) in the 60s and 70s. The take they get from that era, historically, is greatly controled by the factions of the New Left.

We'd better stop the Totalitarians while we still have the demographic.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2016, 12:30:13 pm »
In another twenty years we will have yet another generation infused with Liberal dreck in schools, unfortunately, most will only be taught by parents infused with the same insidious dreck, and the grandmas and grandpas who can make sense of the world are of the generation that got messed up (politically speaking) in the 60s and 70s. The take they get from that era, historically, is greatly controled by the factions of the New Left.

We'd better stop the Totalitarians while we still have the demographic.

We had our shot at stopping the Totalitarians - this year.   A weak candidate, a crummy economy, an abdication of American leadership on a host of fronts.   We had our shot - except we picked this year to commit fratricide. 

In another twenty years I won't be here.   I've spent the past 40 years voting GOP,  and if Trump's the nominee I'm done.  If the GOP renounces conservatism for Trump's easy fascism,  the party is dead to me.   Hopefully a third party can emerge to oppose statism and defend individual liberty in the wake of will be Trump's historic repudiation.  It will be a long road that I won't see the end of.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2016, 12:53:33 pm »

For you maybe.  I am 63.  Unfortunately, Cruz represents the best and last opportunity to install a true originalist into the presidency.  Limbaugh's brother recognized this, but apparently Rush does not, or cares not.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2016, 02:41:34 pm »
If you're going to nominate Trump, then Hillary in the White House is a foreordained conclusion.

While I wouldn't go as far as to declare that quite yet, Mr Trump is going to have a more difficult time in the general than alot of his supporters believe. The "blue wall" advantage that any Democrat running for president will have, including Hillary and all her scandals, while not insurmountable, is a big challenge. Especially for Trump with his record negatives. The GOP nominee will not only have to have all three legs of the conservative stool on board, he also will have to attract enough independents to overcome the demographic advantage the democrats have.

Can Trump win? Sure. But no one should kid themselves about a Nixon/Johnson/Reagan landslide. Events, along with a few swing states, will determine the winner
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2016, 02:54:26 pm »
There seems to be a fair amount of pessimism here

Sunny, calm days follow even the worse storms
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

A-Lert

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2016, 05:55:49 pm »
While I wouldn't go as far as to declare that quite yet, Mr Trump is going to have a more difficult time in the general than alot of his supporters believe. The "blue wall" advantage that any Democrat running for president will have, including Hillary and all her scandals, while not insurmountable, is a big challenge. Especially for Trump with his record negatives. The GOP nominee will not only have to have all three legs of the conservative stool on board, he also will have to attract enough independents to overcome the demographic advantage the democrats have.

Can Trump win? Sure. But no one should kid themselves about a Nixon/Johnson/Reagan landslide. Events, along with a few swing states, will determine the winner

No matter who the GOP candidate is, there will be no landslide victory.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2016, 06:10:57 pm »
No matter who the GOP candidate is, there will be no landslide victory.

Yep

Demographics and such. And the fact that more and more people now are on some kind of government program

People vote for the checks. They never vote to stop them, at least if they are the recipients of said checks. Because, as you know, it's only the "other guy's" check that is contributing to our fiscal and economic woes.

I back Cruz but I've never been under any illusion that a Regeanesque style landslide awaited him or that he was our savior. In fact, back in January I had the feeling it would end up being Trump as the nominee

Barry Goldwater

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2016, 08:42:26 pm »
Very interesting. A fair number of voters think Cruz is the equivalent to McDonnell, in case you missed that.

She and Cruz both oppose the option for a woman that has been raped, to obtain an abortion legally.

That position is held by only 22% of people as polled by Gallup. Both on the fringe.

Cruz=McDonnell
Oh, goodness. Opposing killing one's own young in the womb is so extreme. Or maybe it's the 78% of Americans who would make an excuse for it who are truly the extreme ones.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2016, 10:56:42 pm »
Very interesting. A fair number of voters think Cruz is the equivalent to McDonnell, in case you missed that.

She and Cruz both oppose the option for a woman that has been raped, to obtain an abortion legally.

That position is held by only 22% of people as polled by Gallup. Both on the fringe.

Cruz=McDonnell
The way I see that, the rapist (if it was indeed rape) is guilty, the argument can sometimes be made that through bad judgement or other factors the victim might have been able to prevent the situation (although not always), but no matter what the preceding two cases may be, the one innocent in the picture, without question, is the one who will suffer capital punishment for the crime.

I cannot agree with the murder of innocents.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2016, 07:49:56 pm »
Rush said just today that he doesn't pick candidates. [he doesn't like being wrong]

He said vote for the most conservative candidate you think can win in the general. According to the polls, we don't have one.

IMO, Trump would dig Hillary a new ass given the chance.

A-Lert

« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2016, 09:29:43 pm »
Rush said just today that he doesn't pick candidates. [he doesn't like being wrong]

He said vote for the most conservative candidate you think can win in the general. According to the polls, we don't have one.

IMO, Trump would dig Hillary a new ass given the chance.

I agree. I can't wait to see and hear Trump and the sexual predator enabler go toe to toe. He'll destroy her.

Offline Tallyhoe

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2016, 05:25:22 am »
I think Rush is torn between the Cruz camp and the Trump camp.. If he goes to far on one side then he alienates one group or the other.. He is walking this tight rope hoping not to fall off.. He is irritating  both sides.. He doesn't like to weigh in until the nominee is picked. Unlike several who have picked Cruz over Trump.. Levin, Beck to name a few.. I wish he would have early on.. The Trump Supporters are already bashing Rush, Levin and Beck!!!

geronl

« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2016, 05:27:36 am »
I think Rush is torn between the Cruz camp and the Trump camp.. If he goes to far on one side then he alienates one group or the other.. He is walking this tight rope hoping not to fall off.. He is irritating  both sides.. He doesn't like to weigh in until the nominee is picked. Unlike several who have picked Cruz over Trump.. Levin, Beck to name a few.. I wish he would have early on.. The Trump Supporters are already bashing Rush, Levin and Beck!!!

If he cannot speak up for conservatism and frame the race through that prism, then he should probably just retire.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2016, 07:44:31 am »
If he cannot speak up for conservatism and frame the race through that prism, then he should probably just retire.

Rush went to ridiculous lengths to cover for Donald Trump early on, saying he loved liberty because he had a lot of money and needed liberty for his business.

It was really ridiculous. When Trump implodes people should blame Rush and Trump's other enablers in the conservative media more than anyone else.

Offline Henry Noel

« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2016, 01:25:51 pm »
Rush has already retired from the Institute of Advanced Conservative Studies and is no longer interested in conservative activism.

I think we need to crown Levin as the new Doctor of Democracy

That, and perhaps Mark Steyn as well.
Gee, it feels great to be a gangster!

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2016, 09:48:58 pm »
Rush went to ridiculous lengths to cover for Donald Trump early on, saying he loved liberty because he had a lot of money and needed liberty for his business.

It was really ridiculous. When Trump implodes people should blame Rush and Trump's other enablers in the conservative media more than anyone else.

Pundits have been predicting Trump's implosion from the very beginning...when is that suppose to happen again?

Rush is as sick of this two-party system as the rest of us. [should be] but, he'll support the nominee once again.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:49:31 pm by wolfcreek »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2016, 11:54:42 pm »
His contract is up this year. He's at an age where (thanks to all the boycotts) he probably won't make the kind of money he's been making the past decade; most people retire at this point in their careers, and Limbaugh has plenty of money to do that.

If he does stay on the airwaves, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be for less than the five days a week he does now. He's not the kind of guy to concede money for nothing.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2016, 11:26:09 pm »

The funny part about all that is that Rush kinda tried to be on the fence. Trump supporters said he was supporting Cruz, Cruz supporters seemed to think he supported Trump. Some places that works, sort of, but here most of the fences are barbed wire, and straddling the fence will get you.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2016, 09:43:12 am »
After Hillary Clinton is elected

Appears you are resigned. I'm not. If Hillary is allowed to gain the White House you can KYAGB.

Hillary gains the WH if Trump is the GOP nominee.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

A-Lert

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2016, 09:58:26 am »
Rush has a blind spot for Trump that's for sure.  I'm pretty sure I know why he does and it has nothing to do with being golfing buddies membership at Mar-A-Largo or any of that silliness.

I listen to the Rush podcast on my drive home on the Autobahn every day and I kept trying to figure out how the hell Rush could fall for Turmp's BS....and then Rush said the one thing that made it all crystal clear to me.

Back in (I think) the middle of Feb. Rush made this comment about Trump "The media didn't make him and the media can't break him".

Rush then went on to explain how according to the GOPe "rules" a candidate must be this and a candidate must do that and say these things in order to get elected and that Trump was not playing by those rules.

If you take out "Trump" and "establishment" from that monologue and replace them with "Rush" and "media elites"...then Rush just described his climb to radio glory doing everything the so called keepers of smart in broadcasting said you shouldn't do and couldn't do in order to be successful in the business.

Right or wrong Rush sees Trump as a kindred spirit in giving the finger to the establishment and doing it "his way" in becoming successful. And it causes Limbaugh to have a massive blind spot for what Trump is really doing. 

It's the only logical reason I've been able to come up with as to why Rush defends and explains away things that he shredded JEB Bush on (winning the nomination without the base) and explaining away Trumps horrid comment about punishing the mothers who have an abortion after his brilliant takes on the butchery and debauchery of PP selling body parts of unborn babies to the highest bidder.  And it all comes back to IMHO my explanation above.

We Conservatives DO have long memories on stuff like this.  I remember very clearly Rush stating on the air after McCain lost that he was no long going to "carry the water" for the GOP.  That was the topic of almost his whole first hour that day.  HE is the one that popularized the term "Establishment GOP" and defined it as a bad thing.

Yet here he is now "carying the water" for the GOP Establishment candidate.  McConnell must be having a good laugh over that bit of irony.

Rush isn't the only one who will take a hit in the ratings over their shilling for Donny either.  Hannity will....we've already seen that Fox New has as well.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

A-Lert

« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2016, 10:03:59 am »
You go ahead and keep telling yourself that.

I'm not telling myself. I'm listening.

Savage cited the new Rasmussen poll of likely voters showing Trump with a 41-39 lead over Clinton nationally.

“And this is only an early poll,” Savage noted on his show Monday. “I said a long time ago that when it comes down to Trump vs. Clinton, he would win by a landslide, 60-40, 59-41, something like that.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2016, 10:25:05 am »
That, and perhaps Mark Steyn as well.

I thought Steyn was a big Trump defender.