Author Topic: Why Did Rush Limbaugh Stop Telling Us What He Thinks?  (Read 26677 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Why Did Rush Limbaugh Stop Telling Us What He Thinks?
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2016, 02:58:41 pm »
Nothing wrong with new paradigms,  but Trump as the vessel?    I understand folks are hurting, but that's no excuse to put an unstable megalomaniac in the White House.   

TS,  can't you see that Trump is just acting?   He's singing a tune you're grooving to,  but you take it seriously while he's just engaged in exploitation.   

You're not a fool,  your concerns are real.   But Trump thinks you're a fool,  and he's counting that you won't see the con.   

Look. If you tell me Trump is acting, I reply ALL politicians are acting.

Which one do most Republicans rank as their very best? An ACTOR.

Making exaggerated claims about Trump, is not working. Intelligent, rational opponents would realize this, adjust and take a different approach.

Calling Trump supporter stupid and uneducated is not working, either. One Trump supporter left this site near the time your arrived.  He was insulted by the name calling, etc. He happened to hold a PhD degree, btw.

Time has passed for defeating Trump. Neither Cruz or Kasich has the "It Factor," either.   
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2016, 03:00:52 pm »
Make that 24 years, during which the GOP has won the presidential popular vote just one time (2004).

Might be time for new paradigms. Free trade, fair trade, smart trade.  Many Americans feel something is dreadfully wrong.

A company moves the manufacturing to Mexico.  And they move the customer service call center to the Philippines. A worker is out of a job at age 49, never to reach the same income again. But the Gazillionaire founder buys another house in some resort location.

It is increasingly hard to convince those voters, that the status quo is really, really worth saving as is.

My take is that a lot of Americans want to blame someone or something for their own crappy lives: this started on the liberal side, it's now moved to the GOP side. Trade and "China" are convenient bogeymen.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2016, 03:17:41 pm »
Rush has already retired from the Institute of Advanced Conservative Studies and is no longer interested in conservative activism.

I think we need to crown Levin as the new Doctor of Democracy

Was a huge Rush fan through the years.  However, I think Rush among other conservative pundits are complicit with Trump phenomenon right now.   If they would have painted him as the orange charlatan that he is early on, I don't think he would have gotten the traction of acceptance last summer.  By fall this thing had streamrolled to the point that there was no stopping this downhill charging trojan horse.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2016, 03:20:09 pm »
My take is that a lot of Americans want to blame someone or something for their own crappy lives: this started on the liberal side, it's now moved to the GOP side. Trade and "China" are convenient bogeymen.
By all means, scoff and dismiss and look down on those who believe they have been harmed by trade and China, etc.  Then throw in illegal immigration, btw.

Then call Trump supporters stupid and uneducated.

Doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results. Predictable, and not working.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2016, 04:47:42 pm »
By all means, scoff and dismiss and look down on those who believe they have been harmed by trade and China, etc.  Then throw in illegal immigration, btw.

Doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results. Predictable, and not working.

Personal responsibility has never been popular. Ever.

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2016, 05:59:07 pm »
I don't know what's up with Rush, but I won't ditch him entirely.  He deserves a little grace period given his history.  That said, I'm for crowning Levin the Doctor of Constitutional Conservatism.  He's brilliant and works very hard to educate, not just entertain.

I am hoping to see Levin threads here.

@mystery-ak

If we start getting callers from this site to the show, Mark could drive traffic here.

Mark has a handle, holdonnow at the other site, but has been calling out 'our favorite websites' lately.

So he would likely be sympathetic to a site that is not the twitter sewer and at least gives Cruz a fair shake

(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2016, 06:22:58 pm »

Making exaggerated claims about Trump, is not working. Intelligent, rational opponents would realize this, adjust and take a different approach.

Calling Trump supporter stupid and uneducated is not working, either. One Trump supporter left this site near the time your arrived.  He was insulted by the name calling, etc. He happened to hold a PhD degree, btw.

Time has passed for defeating Trump. Neither Cruz or Kasich has the "It Factor," either.

Hopefully, you can convince this supporter to come back.

I suspect there will be some Trump folks here in the future.

I went to the University of Chicago for grad school.  I say this not to brag (or be elitist), but to point out that we were brainwashed that free trade is good all the time due 'relative advantage' espoused by David Ricardo. 

But in the real world, there are income constraints. (duh) I can run a trade deficit with my grocery store , as long as I have a JOB or other income source.

This is the summary of a book by Gomery that shows when free trade works and when 'comparative advantage' works.

January 2001

Entrepreneurship, Management, and the Structure of Payoffs
From Lionel Robbins Lectures
Global Trade and Conflicting National Interests
By Ralph E. Gomory and William J. Baumol
Overview

In this book Ralph Gomory and William Baumol adapt classical trade models to the modern world economy. Trade today is dominated by manufactured goods, rapidly moving technology, and huge firms that benefit from economies of scale. This is very different from the largely agricultural world in which the classical theories originated. Gomory and Baumol show that the new and significant conflicts resulting from international trade are inherent in modern economies.Today improvement in one country's productive capabilities is often attainable only at the expense of another country's general welfare. The authors describe why and when this is so and why, in a modern free-trade environment, a country might have a vital stake in the competitive strength of its industries.
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?

A-Lert

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2016, 09:00:42 pm »
Rush and Levin have fought at our sides against liberalism for decades. The speed with which some conservatives have moved to denigrate their service to the cause sickens me. When this mess is over and we and have once again turned our primary focus toward Hillary Clinton, will we continue to question the loyalty of our faithful and tireless warriors? I sure hope not.  (Not directed at you. Just a general observation.)

:thumbsup:

Hard to believe how Republicans can turn on other Republicans. The insults and name-calling only further divides a party that needs to unite in the fight against another democrat POTUS.

A-Lert

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2016, 09:08:25 pm »
You're the one who's recklessly indifferent to consequences, not me.   That's why I support Kasich - he's the one who's most likely to deny Clinton the White House.   But you support Trump,  in complete indifference to the reality that he will unite folks from all walks of life in opposition,  and hand Clinton the keys.

Kasich can't even win enough  delegates for second place. He's not popular. He doesn't even have name recognition. He's not going to get the nomination. We don't need another milquetoast candidate.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2016, 02:13:03 am »

Automation has hurt them far worse. Yet you'll never expect them to turn against the Internet, will you?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2016, 12:42:25 am »
Automation has hurt them far worse. Yet you'll never expect them to turn against the Internet, will you?
I'd say the single biggest job killer has been overbearing Federal Regulation. From the EPA, USFWS, OSHA, and a host of others, the cost of doing business in the US has gone up with every pound of Federal Register put out. In some cases, the administration practically brags about putting sectors of the economy (the Coal industry, for instance) out of business.

When the factories, mines, smelters, mills, and foundries close down or relocate, the jobs go too.

Those middle class trade jobs are sorely missed across the country. Add in a component of illegals who took what were lower paying jobs, jobs now in demand because the higher paying ones left the country, and the Illegal Immigrant problem becomes even more prominent in the eyes of the American worker.

Sure, automation has hurt, too, but even that has job openings servicing and maintaining the machines.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Leto

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2016, 01:54:37 am »
Can you predict the future? November is still 6 months away.  The gloves haven't come off yet.

Trump is an opposition research dream candidate combined with his high negatives and 100% name recognition he is a landslide waiting to happen.
"If the devil can keep you from asking the right question he never has to worry about the answer"

THe Screwtape Letters

Offline Leto

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2016, 02:00:33 am »
Cruz's approach to bring jobs is much better than starting a trade war.

MAKE IT EASY TO DO BUSINESS IN AMERICA, simple low tax rates, sane regulatory environment. It ain't that complicated.

Politicians democrats especially have been the enemies of blue collar workers.
"If the devil can keep you from asking the right question he never has to worry about the answer"

THe Screwtape Letters

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2016, 03:23:32 am »
Rush was downright nasty to McCain in 2008, and skeptical of Romney in 2012.  He must be worth > $300 million.  Why can't he be honest like Mark Levin?  Is he scared Trump is going to keep him out of the good parties in Palm Beach? 

I highly recommend Michael Berry's podcasts on KTRH.  He hosts a morning show in Houston and evening show on around 15 stations.  Guy keeps me rolling at the office.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2016, 04:19:07 pm »

Considering that Trump can't get "it" up above the mid thirties, there is plenty of time, right up to the final vote of the convention to nominate someone who might actually appeal to the general electorate; something STrump clearly, palpably, cannot do. 

Bill Cipher

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2016, 04:20:43 pm »
Kasich can't even win enough  delegates for second place. He's not popular. He doesn't even have name recognition. He's not going to get the nomination. We don't need another milquetoast candidate.

Once again you're confusing intraparty with the general electorate.  Amongst the general electorate he appears to be much better placed than is STrump.

A-Lert

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2016, 06:27:48 pm »
Once again you're confusing intraparty with the general electorate.  Amongst the general electorate he appears to be much better placed than is STrump.

So you believe the polls that claim liberal Kasich is the most popular GOP candidate?

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2016, 08:56:03 pm »
Why do Trump supporters have such a problem with basic political science?  No, the parties don't always nominate their strongest candidate for the general election.  Primaries exhibit a small fraction of the general election turnout. 

For example, Trump is going to receive around 13 million votes in the primaries.  In contrast, Romney lost with 61 million votes in the 2012 general election.  Trump will need around 65 million votes to prevail.  His primary voters will be there, but they'll represent around 10% of the electorate.  What drives 13M people isn't necessarily going to motivate the other 52M.  You won't find normal people ranting about cuckservatives and the GOPe.  They are mostly opposed to a wall.  And they think Trump is a horse's patoot. 

Remember the Delaware senate race a few years back?  The primary voters shunned long-time representative and certain winner Michael Castle in favor of "I'm not a witch" Christine O'Donnell.  She got thumped in the general election.  That's what is happening here. 

A-Lert

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2016, 09:15:54 pm »
Why do Trump supporters have such a problem with basic political science?  No, the parties don't always nominate their strongest candidate for the general election.  Primaries exhibit a small fraction of the general election turnout. 

For example, Trump is going to receive around 13 million votes in the primaries.  In contrast, Romney lost with 61 million votes in the 2012 general election.  Trump will need around 65 million votes to prevail.  His primary voters will be there, but they'll represent around 10% of the electorate.  What drives 13M people isn't necessarily going to motivate the other 52M.  You won't find normal people ranting about cuckservatives and the GOPe.  They are mostly opposed to a wall.  And they think Trump is a horse's patoot. 

Remember the Delaware senate race a few years back?  The primary voters shunned long-time representative and certain winner Michael Castle in favor of "I'm not a witch" Christine O'Donnell.  She got thumped in the general election.  That's what is happening here.

Comparing votes received in the primary versus votes received in the general is comparing a mouse to an elephant.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2016, 09:23:49 pm »
No, the extrapolation is the problem.  So why are you doing it? 

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2016, 09:30:58 pm »

Very interesting. A fair number of voters think Cruz is the equivalent to McDonnell, in case you missed that.

She and Cruz both oppose the option for a woman that has been raped, to obtain an abortion legally.

That position is held by only 22% of people as polled by Gallup. Both on the fringe.

Cruz=McDonnell

A-Lert

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2016, 09:34:07 pm »
No, the extrapolation is the problem.  So why are you doing it?

Why did you bother posting the numbers? What's your point?

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2016, 09:45:30 pm »

No, it is you that is confusing winning, with 2nd and 3rd place.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2016, 09:57:57 pm »
A-Lert: Throughout this process you have implied that primary wins can be extrapolated to the general election.  You did it again on page 2.  I was explaining the turnout, in case you weren't just trying to get on everybody's nerves! 

truth_seeker: Cruz has a low ceiling, no doubt about it.  I don't think he would reach 270 in a good year.  Trump has a much lower ceiling for the reasons that have been beaten to death in the Politics section.  The Republicans will have to make wiser choices if they ever want to win again. 

A-Lert

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2016, 10:02:12 pm »
A-Lert: Throughout this process you have implied that primary wins can be extrapolated to the general election.  You did it again on page 2.  I was explaining the turnout, in case you weren't just trying to get on everybody's nerves! 

truth_seeker: Cruz has a low ceiling, no doubt about it.  I don't think he would reach 270 in a good year.  Trump has a much lower ceiling for the reasons that have been beaten to death in the Politics section.  The Republicans will have to make wiser choices if they ever want to win again.

Primary wins indicate the unpopularity of the losers to the electorate. Delegates are the people who selected McLunatic and milquetoast Mitt.