Author Topic: Bill Bennett: GOP Leaders Have "Closed Their Minds" To Trump; "Take The High Road" And Talk To Him  (Read 647 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2016/04/22/bill_bennett_gop_leaders_have_closed_their_minds_to_trump_take_the_high_road_and_talk_to_him.html

Bill Bennett: GOP Leaders Have "Closed Their Minds" To Trump; "Take The High Road" And Talk To Him
By Tim Hains
Posted on April 22, 2016

Former Education Secretary under Ronald Reagan, Bill Bennett, says that it is time for the #NeverTrump crowd to give the Republican frontrunner another look.

"We may have a roundtable of white knights," swooping in to stop Trump at the RNC convention, Bennett told Fox News Channel's Megyn Kelly on Wednesday. "And I'll be Secretary Arthur."

"Let's look a little bit macro at this," he explained. "There is momentum. Trump really finished big in New York. And Cruz finished third. Very bad for Cruz. Remember Cruz told Kasich, when it became mathematically impossible for Kasich to win, you should drop out of the race. Has anybody made that suggestion to Cruz?"

"Cruz isn't going to do it," he said. "There's something else going on. A lot of the analysis is about the 1,237 as it should be, but I ams eeing a growing sentiment on people who don't like Trump -- That the guy who gets the most votes, if it is a lot, 1,100 or so, well those delegates may just lean in that direction. Because this criticism that Donald Trump is making is having some impact -- that votes should translate to delegates."

"They want anybody besides Trump, that's why it is called #NeverTrump"

"They need to think, too, this may be the nominee of their party. They could step up a little bit. They could try to make an effort to talk to Donald Trump. They could take the high road. You took the high road, Megyn... You went over there to see him, which I think was impressive... People have closed their minds on this, closed the door, and I don't think they should"

"They need to think about what this guy is saying that is resonating with people."
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:06:15 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

HAPPY2BME

"Cruz isn't going to do it," he said. "There's something else going on. A lot of the analysis is about the 1,237 as it should be, but I ams eeing a growing sentiment on people who don't like Trump -- That the guy who gets the most votes, if it is a lot, 1,100 or so, well those delegates may just lean in that direction. Because this criticism that Donald Trump is making is having some impact -- that votes should translate to delegates."

===============================

This is effectively a Trump endorsement by none other than Bill Bennett.

Offline sinkspur

"They need to think about what this guy is saying that is resonating with people."

He's saying the same thing every demagogue says:  I alone can lead your war against "the man."  I'll bring your jobs back, we'll stop the brown menace from coming over our borders, we'll kill all the terrorists, and your life will be so much better when I'm your leader.

It's tribalism, and it appeals to the lowest level of human emotion.  Thinking people don't respond to an angry authoritarian who spouts vagaries. 

Bennett should be ashamed of himself. We can do so much better than Trump.  But, it appears we're not going to and we'll go over the cliff with this clown.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

geronl

They will never find Trump if they take the high road, Trump avoids that area.

Offline andy58-in-nh

I have to wonder, what on Earth is the connection between an intellectual like Bill Bennett and a... somewhat less intellectual fellow like Donald Trump?

Well, it might just be a coincidence but....

Mr. Bennett was paid in 2014 by the public relations, lobbying and business consulting firm DCI Group for an op-ed article praising the Common Core curriculum.

And... Donald Trump's new chief campaign strategist, Paul Manafort comes to the Trump campaign from... DCI Group.

Probably nothing.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

He's saying the same thing every demagogue says:  I alone can lead your war against "the man."  I'll bring your jobs back, we'll stop the brown menace from coming over our borders, we'll kill all the terrorists, and your life will be so much better when I'm your leader.

It's tribalism, and it appeals to the lowest level of human emotion.  Thinking people don't respond to an angry authoritarian who spouts vagaries. 

Bennett should be ashamed of himself. We can do so much better than Trump.  But, it appears we're not going to and we'll go over the cliff with this clown.

Exactly, sinkspur.  It is precisely because we think, long and hard, about why what Trump says "resonates with people" that we oppose him without apology or remorse.  He's a fascist demagogue,  adored by racists and other gap-toothed fools.

I won't go over the cliff with Trump.  I will, however, do my damndest to push him over it.

Went to see the captain, strangest I could find
Laid my proposition down, laid it on the line
I won't slave for beggar's pay, likewise gold and jewels
But I would slave to learn the way to sink your ship of fools

Garcia/Hunter 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 06:56:03 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Leto

IIRC Bennett was a degenerate gambler. Perhaps an ex Trump cust who got some comps. Trump calls I the favor.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/bill-bennetts-gambling-problem/article/3895
"If the devil can keep you from asking the right question he never has to worry about the answer"

THe Screwtape Letters