Author Topic: Obama explains removal of Churchill bust from Oval Office  (Read 435 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama explains removal of Churchill bust from Oval Office
« on: April 23, 2016, 02:24:57 pm »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/obama-explains-removal-of-churchill-bust-from-oval-office/article/2589305

Obama explains removal of Churchill bust from Oval Office
By Nicole Duran (@Duranni1) • 4/22/16 1:30 PM

President Obama explained Friday that he removed a bust of British Prime Minister Winston Churchill from the Oval Office when he first became president to make room for a bust of the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., because King means so much to Obama.

But Obama stressed that he still keeps a bust of Churchill right outside his private office in the residence because he also respects the legendary wartime leader and orator.

The removal of Churchill from the Oval Office has led to constant complaints from Republicans that he was disrespecting one of the U.S.'s closest allies. But in a Friday briefing in London with Prime Minister David Cameron, he said he imagines that the British people understand.

"When I was elected as president of the United States, my predecessor had kept a Churchill bust in Oval Office," Obama said. "There are only so many tables where you can put busts; otherwise it starts looking a little cluttered."

"I suspect that most people here in the United Kingdom might agree that as the first African-American president, it might be appropriate to have a bust of Dr. Martin Luther King in my office to remind me of all the hard work of a lot of people who would somehow allow me to have the privilege of holding this office," Obama said.

"That's just on Winston Churchill. I think people should know that," he said.

He also said the he goes into the Treaty Room every day, including weekends, and when he does, "the primary image that I see is a bust of Winston Churchill," Obama said. "It's there voluntarily because I can do anything on the second floor," he said to laughter.

"I love Winston Churchill; love the guy," Obama said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: Obama explains removal of Churchill bust from Oval Office
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 02:30:09 pm »
"There are only so many tables where you can put busts; otherwise it starts looking a little cluttered."
Having golf clubs all over the place clutters the office even more, I should think.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 07:57:30 pm »
After all these years why even bring this up barry?

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 08:05:02 pm »
Barry had to find room for the DVD box set of 25 classic American films Prime Minister Gordon Brown rerturned to him.