Author Topic: Manafort: Trump Just Playing 'Part,' Will Adopt New 'Persona'  (Read 3399 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=725206

Newsmax
Manafort: Trump Just Playing 'Part,' Will Adopt New 'Persona'
Thursday, April 21, 2016 10:32 PM

By: Cathy Burke

Donald Trump is going to tone down the bluster and adopt a new "persona" as he builds a relationship with the GOP political establishment he's bashed throughout his unorthodox campaign, his campaign chief told party leaders.

The GOP presidential front-runner's new campaign chief, Paul Manafort, in an address to about 100 Republican National Committee members at a closed-door meeting in Hollywood, Fla., Thursday, suggested Trump's style amounted to an act, the New York Times reports.

"That’s what’s important for you to understand: That he gets it, and that the part he’s been playing is evolving," Manafort said, the Times reports. "The negatives are going to come down, the image is going to change, but Clinton is still going to be crooked Hillary."

"You’ll start to see more depth to the person, the real person," Manafort added.

The Times said it received a tape of the speech by a person attending the meeting.

"When he's sitting in a room, he's talking business. He's talking politics in a private room. It's a different persona," Manafort said, reported NBC News, which also cited a tape of Manafort's remarks. "When he's out on the stage, when he's talking about the kinds of things he's talking about on the stump, he's projecting an image that's for that purpose."

Manafort also offered an olive branch to the GOP establishment the real estate billionaire has spent much of his campaign bashing.

"Is Donald Trump running against the Republican National Committee?" Manafort asked, referring specifically to the candidate’s repeated charge of a "rigged" nominating process.

"The answer is he is not."

Instead, Manafort said Trump wants to coordinate his campaign with the "establishment" GOP.

"He gave us the mandate to bring together a team of professionals that could finish the job for him, but could also then begin to link in with the establishment institutions that are part of our party, what you represent, what the state parties represent," Manafort said. "We’ve started all those conversations…. He cares about the united team."

Manafort also said agreed with Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, who warned this week that a contested GOP convention in July might leave the party fractured.

"I don’t want a fractured convention, we want this thing to bed early," Manafort said. "We don’t want to be in Cleveland fighting for a nomination that’s already been decided."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

Re: Manafort: Trump Just Playing 'Part,' Will Adopt New 'Persona'
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 01:14:25 pm »
Just foolin', ya'll.

I'm really not a sonofabitch.  Really.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 01:41:42 pm »
"You’ll start to see more depth to the person, the real person," Manafort added.

Which one? 

The inarticulate 5th grader, the Valley Girl, the inciter of violence, or the slug who uses women, verbally abuses them and then spits them out?

I'm interested in who this "deep" person is.............
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Leto

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 01:43:11 pm »
The cynicism here is mind boggling, but his sycophants will keep marching right into the interment camps with a smile on their face and a song in their hearts after all they are still mesmerized by the image of the wall
"If the devil can keep you from asking the right question he never has to worry about the answer"

THe Screwtape Letters

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 01:44:05 pm »
Which one? 

The inarticulate 5th grader, the Valley Girl, the inciter of violence, or the slug who uses women, verbally abuses them and then spits them out?

He'll just return to being the progressive slug he's always been without any depth on anything!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 01:47:36 pm »
He'll just return to being the progressive slug he's always been without any depth on anything!

To those of us who've been paying attention (as you well know, since you have been), he's never left the Progressive part of his paper thin personality.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 01:48:19 pm »
The cynicism here is mind boggling, but his sycophants will keep marching right into the interment camps with a smile on their face and a song in their hearts after all they are still mesmerized by the image of the wall

Welcome to the forum!  :patriot:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 01:51:46 pm »
It pains me to have to post this here but post it I must!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 02:27:22 pm »
Just foolin', ya'll.

I'm really not a sonofabitch.  Really.

Careful, bud. There are some here who'll think you're talking about you:tongue2:
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 04:49:07 pm »
That is why in my world character matters..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 04:56:16 pm »
Manafort also offered an olive branch to the GOP establishment the real estate billionaire has spent much of his campaign bashing.

"Is Donald Trump running against the Republican National Committee?" Manafort asked, referring specifically to the candidate’s repeated charge of a "rigged" nominating process.

"The answer is he is not."

Instead, Manafort said Trump wants to coordinate his campaign with the "establishment" GOP.

The Nixon Establishment candidate reaches out to the GOP Establishment. Wow, couldn't see that coming.

Meet the old boss, same as the new boss.
The Republic is lost.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 05:00:06 pm »
Which one? 

While I agree, I am more interested in what he actually thinks about government and its role in our lives.  Mr. Manafort, who is your boss REALLY?  Do you even know?  Does he?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:00:48 pm by massadvj »

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 05:00:14 pm »
The Nixon Establishment candidate reaches out to the GOP Establishment. Wow, couldn't see that coming.

Meet the old boss, same as the new boss.

Prediction:

Trump/Kasich
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 05:04:28 pm »
While I agree, I am more interested in what he actually thinks about government and its role in our lives.  Mr. Manafort, who is your boss REALLY?  Do you even know?  Does he?

Of course I cannot answer your questions definitively but I do strongly suspect that if they were answered honestly the answer to all would be no! 

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 05:07:37 pm »

Prediction:

Trump/Kasich

I think Kasich is angling for it, and his ego certainly won't turn it down.
The Republic is lost.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 05:18:59 pm »

After I posted that, I almost added that I didn't even include the most important problem with the Donald........ that he believes in having the government control every aspect of our lives and of our beings through government healthcare, and that he doesn't believe in the Constitutional balance of powers limiting the power of the executive branch.

IOW, that he is a big government Progressive who will continue the growth of government and its control over our lives.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 05:20:59 pm »
After I posted that, I almost added that I didn't even include the most important problem with the Donald........ that he believes in having the government control every aspect of our lives and of our beings through government healthcare, and that he doesn't believe in the Constitutional balance of powers limiting the power of the executive branch.

IOW, that he is a big government Progressive who will continue the growth of government and its control over our lives.

Yeah, but he is a brilliant manager, so we will really like all the new programs and stuff. /s

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 05:29:03 pm »
Yeah, but he is a brilliant manager, so we will really like all the new programs and stuff. /s

Yep.  He just takes charge and gets things done.  I know I'm on board with that......   ^-^

geronl

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 05:57:15 pm »
The man has schizophrenia

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2016, 05:09:39 am »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/04/21/trump-is-playing-a-part-and-can-transform-for-victory-campaign-chief-tells-gop-leaders/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_trump-part-545am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

By Philip Rucker, Dan Balz and Robert Costa April 21 at 8:14 PM

Trump’s chief strategist Paul Manafort told members of the Republican National Committee in a closed-door briefing here Thursday afternoon that his candidate has been playing a “part” on the campaign trail, but is starting to pivot toward presenting a more businesslike and presidential “persona.”

“He gets it,” Manafort told RNC members. “The part that he’s been playing is now evolving into the part that you’ve been expecting. The negatives will come down, the image is going to change, but ‘Crooked Hillary’ is still going to be ‘Crooked Hillary.’”

The RNC members laughed at Manafort’s use of Trump’s derogatory nickname for Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton.

“She is going to hate him,” Manafort said.

“And he enjoys digging it in that way.”

Manafort argued that Clinton’s negative favorability ratings are caused by “character” issues, whereas Trump’s are fueled by “personality” concerns.

“Fixing personality negatives is a lot easier than fixing character negatives,” Manafort said. “You can’t change somebody’s character, but you can change the way a person presents himself.”

Manafort, along with the Trump campaign’s political director Rick Wiley and top surrogate Ben Carson, briefed state Republican Party chairmen and other RNC members at their spring meeting in South Florida. The Washington Post obtained an audio recording of the meeting.

Listen to Trump's top strategist's closed-door meeting with Fla. RNC members
Play Video33:22

Republican front-runner Donald Trump's chief strategist Paul Manafort spoke to members of the Republican National Committee in Hollywood, Fla., at a closed-door briefing on April 21. The Washington Post obtained an audio recording of the meeting. (TWP)

Manafort said Trump’s goal is to “make sure we don’t have a fractured convention.” He said that Trump wants a convention that will project “our message, our leaders and our vision for America, not people fighting over whose delegate is who and the rules of the convention.”
Wiley focused on the electoral map, arguing that Trump has the unique ability to put states into play that long have voted for Democrats. He said part of Trump’s success in the primaries has been his appeal to Reagan Democrats and predicted that would open up opportunities in the fall that haven’t existed in the past.

He mentioned specifically states like Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Illinois as places where Trump could compete and in some cases win. At a minimum, he said, Trump could force the Democrats to spend money defending territory they have taken for granted in recent elections.

“You’re going to see this map expand,” he said. “I think by the time this is over, you’re going to see a path to 270 [electoral votes] that looks more like George H.W. Bush’s map than George W. Bush’s map.”
Wiley, a former political director at the RNC, praised the work of the committee under Chairman Reince Priebus and said the party’s nominee and its candidates for Senate and House will benefit from a vastly improved voter identification and get-out-the-vote operation. He said the RNC team has “taken the Obama ’08 model and turned it into a Republican model.”

Manafort sounded a similar note to the RNC, seeking to soothe tensions after Trump has spent several weeks bashing what he has called a “rigged” system of selecting delegates to the convention.

Manafort said Trump is “totally committed” to “carrying the brand of the Republican Party” in the fall. He reassured RNC members that Trump would view them as “partners” in the general election.

“You bring the local knowledge and we bring our piece of the pie and we will work together to [develop] our campaign plan that will look to using the unique magic of Trump,” Manafort said.

Manafort urged the attendees, many of them unbound delegates for the convention, to move behind Trump this summer even if the billionaire does not reach the threshold for the nomination by the end of voting in early June. Part of his case was financial, arguing that the avoidance of a contested convention would enable Trump to do more to help the party raise funds for down-ballot races.

“The other concern I know that some of you had was, ‘Will he help the party raise money?’” Manafort said. “The answer is, he’s expecting to.”

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2016, 05:14:55 am »
Which one? 

Don't you find it at all odd that you can find nary a person that has worked with him, even on the opposite side of a table, who is bashing the guy?  I mean if he's such a terrible person, certainly those who know him would be warning about him as a future president.

Basically at this point we get a handful of illegal immigrants who work for contractors that have had contracts with some Trump projects and that's it.  Meanwhile you make some of the most rude and judgmental posts directed at others on this board, yet bemoan Trump as being a bad person. 
Guess who got the NYT's endorsement in the GOP primary?

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2016, 05:55:59 am »
Don't you find it at all odd that you can find nary a person that has worked with him, even on the opposite side of a table, who is bashing the guy?  I mean if he's such a terrible person, certainly those who know him would be warning about him as a future president.

Basically at this point we get a handful of illegal immigrants who work for contractors that have had contracts with some Trump projects and that's it.  Meanwhile you make some of the most rude and judgmental posts directed at others on this board, yet bemoan Trump as being a bad person.

Did you mean business associates like this?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/shady-past-of-ex-donald-trump-business-partner-in-focus/
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2016, 06:02:22 am »
Did you mean business associates like this?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/shady-past-of-ex-donald-trump-business-partner-in-focus/

So one of the thousands of people that Trump did business with is "shady?"

Stop the presses!!  I'm shocked!!   :silly:

A-Lert

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2016, 06:29:01 am »

:talkhand: Got anything besides insults for fellow posters here?

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2016, 06:44:05 am »

No wonder Jim Robinson is purging these people.  This such an incoherent post it is something that would be found on DailyKos or some other liberal website.