Author Topic: Donald Trump Says Harriet Tubman on $20 Is 'Pure Political Correctness'  (Read 1788 times)

HAPPY2BME

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/Trump-Says-Tubman-on-20-Is-Pure-Political-Correctness-376549461.html

Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump said Thursday that abolitionist Harriet Tubman is "fantastic" but she shouldn't replace former President Andrew Jackson on the front of the $20 bill.

He cited "pure political correctness" for the Treasury Department's decision to feature the African-American abolitionist — who was born into slavery and led the Underground Railroad — instead of the nation's seventh president, a slave owner.

Speaking on NBC's "Today" show, Trump said Tubman's likeness should go on a different denomination.

.@RealDonaldTrump speaks out about putting Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill #TrumpTODAYhttps://t.co/tfeSHQ3ec7
    — TODAY (@TODAYshow) April 21, 2016

"Well Andrew Jackson had a great history and I think it's very rough when you take somebody off the bill," Trump said. "Andrew Jackson had a history of tremendous success for the country."

He suggested that "maybe we do the $2 bill" or something else for Tubman.

Offline sinkspur

"Well Andrew Jackson had a great history and I think it's very rough when you take somebody off the bill," Trump said. "Andrew Jackson had a history of tremendous success for the country."

Actually, other than the Battle of New Orleans, Jackson was a slave-owning, mediocre President who tried to nationalize the banking system.  The nation's first gold bug.  And, he was a Democrat.

Tubman was a tireless abolitionist, a Republican, and toted a firearm wherever she went.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
He is just mad because they are taking off a loudmouth, authoritarian, corrupt Democrat and replacing it with a gun toting, Republican woman who stood against the authority of her day.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Actually, other than the Battle of New Orleans, Jackson was a slave-owning, mediocre President who tried to nationalize the banking system.  The nation's first gold bug.  And, he was a Democrat.

Not to mention setting off the genocide of Native Americans.

Offline NavyCanDo

Andrew Jackson's Indian removal policy of 1838 and 1839 was a YUGE success, believe me, it was YUGE.     
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline kevindavis007

Tubman was a tireless abolitionist, a Republican, and toted a firearm wherever she went.

Plus the trail of tears thing as well..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Wingnut

Andrew Jackson's Indian removal policy of 1838 and 1839 was a YUGE success, believe me, it was YUGE.   

Trump wants to use it as his Muslum removel plan.  The Trump Doctrine.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Agree with Trump on this. Keep the damn $20 as it is. If you want to put Tubman on a new denomination, fine.

Offline kevindavis007

Then there is the Panic of 1837 which started under the Jackson administration.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

geronl

So is letting men in the girls bathrooms, Donnie or Donna

Offline musiclady

Re: Donald Trump Says Harriet Tubman on $20 Is 'Pure Political Correctness'
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 07:32:31 pm »

He wants to call it Trail of Tears Two.......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 07:35:13 pm »

You're fine with allowing unvetted Syrian "refugees" into the USA so they can act like they do in Europe?

Seems like a rather liberal position to me.
Guess who got the NYT's endorsement in the GOP primary?

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 07:37:37 pm »
You're fine with allowing unvetted Syrian "refugees" into the USA so they can act like they do in Europe?

No one here is for it and name me a candidate who is for allowing Syrian refuges.. Besides Trump did change his position.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:38:03 pm by kevindavis »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 07:40:43 pm »

Weren't you the one whining that people were putting words in your mouth??

He didn't say anything remotely similar to what you're accusing him of.

You just made that up out of whole cloth.........

Yikes........

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 07:41:54 pm »

No one here is for it and name me a candidate who is for allowing Syrian refuges.. Besides Trump did change his position.

Trump says whatever he feels like saying, and his followers don't care what it is.

He could say something today and something completely opposite tomorrow, and they'd say, "GO DONALD!  We LOVE you!!"

Wingnut

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2016, 07:41:55 pm »

Keep digging Sparky.   No one said any such thing.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2016, 07:45:58 pm »
Trump says whatever he feels like saying, and his followers don't care what it is.

He could say something today and something completely opposite tomorrow, and they'd say, "GO DONALD!  We LOVE you!!"

I know..

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 07:47:20 pm »

I'm wondering where Trump ever said he wanted a "Muslim Removal Program" that was akin to anything Andrew Jackson did with Native Americans.  It's a false premise and you're dancing around insulting Trump supporters again.

Tell your buddy to prove it or acknowledge that was never stated.  I have zero problem with stopping the flow of the young male "refugees" into the USA until a better vetting system is found.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:49:18 pm by AnybodyButaDem »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2016, 08:20:39 pm »
I'm wondering where Trump ever said he wanted a "Muslim Removal Program" that was akin to anything Andrew Jackson did with Native Americans.  It's a false premise and you're dancing around insulting Trump supporters again.

Tell your buddy to prove it or acknowledge that was never stated.  I have zero problem with stopping the flow of the young male "refugees" into the USA until a better vetting system is found.

I'm dancing around insulting Trump supporters??  Hilarious!

You came on this thread and accused someone of wanting Syrian refugees to come into the USA to rape women, and now you're whining about my "dancing??'

You are becoming hysterical, Dem.  I am amused by your silliness and utter, unadulterated hypocrisy.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 08:21:30 pm by musiclady »

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2016, 08:39:27 pm »
I'm dancing around insulting Trump supporters??  Hilarious!

You came on this thread and accused someone of wanting Syrian refugees to come into the USA to rape women, and now you're whining about my "dancing??'

You are becoming hysterical, Dem.  I am amused by your silliness and utter, unadulterated hypocrisy.

What is the "Muslim Removal Plan?"  Trump never said he was going to round up all Muslims and boot them out of the USA.  Yet you accepted that comparison to the treatment of Native Americans, then mock Trump supporters by posting this.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2016, 08:41:10 pm »
What is the "Muslim Removal Plan?"  Trump never said he was going to round up all Muslims and boot them out of the USA.  Yet you accepted that comparison to the treatment of Native Americans, then mock Trump supporters by posting this.

Go out for a walk and get some fresh air.

You're becoming desperate, and it doesn't look good on you..........

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2016, 08:44:37 pm »
Go out for a walk and get some fresh air.

You're becoming desperate, and it doesn't look good on you..........

So you admit there was no Muslim Removal Plan that would be similar to the treatment of Native Americans.

That's a start on the path to honest discussion.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2016, 08:47:07 pm »
So you admit there was no Muslim Removal Plan that would be similar to the treatment of Native Americans.

That's a start on the path to honest discussion.

Of the thousands of people on this board, including many avid Trump lovers, there are only two who are obnoxious enough for me to have on ignore.  Nothing they say is intelligent, and everything they say is designed to fight, not discuss.

You are about to become number three.

Take a break.  Do some jumping jacks.  Breathe.  Become rational.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2016, 08:52:54 pm »
Again diverting a thread away from what Trump said that is controversial - "Well Andrew Jackson had a great history"

Almost all  conservative historians would agree that Andrew Jackson was the worst and most terrifying U.S. President. Even moving beyond the conservative historians there is hardly a list of worst presidents that does not list him in the top four.     

A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline musiclady

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2016, 08:55:50 pm »
Again diverting a thread away from what Trump said that is controversial - "Well Andrew Jackson had a great history"

Almost all  conservative historians would agree that Andrew Jackson was the worst and most terrifying U.S. President. Even moving beyond the conservative historians there is hardly a list of worst presidents that does not list him in the top four.   

Thank you for bringing this thread back to the point, Navy.  (I was trying!  :shrug:)