Author Topic: Ted Cruz Seeks to Mend Fences with Republican Elites  (Read 2021 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Ted Cruz Seeks to Mend Fences with Republican Elites
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2016, 11:40:31 pm »
I actually question if Trump had the liquid assets for the $25 million he loaned (emphasis on loan) to his campaign during the primary. Most of his net worth is in property valuation, not liquid assets. That's probably why he refuses to release his tax returns- it would show his actual liquid assets along with potentially 'personal investors' helping him along with a wink and nod. It could be like the Clinton/Charlie Trie scandal on steroids.
Tax returns* do NOT show "liquidity." They do NOT show "property valuations," or "liquid assets."

You should really stick to subjects that you know something about.

*That is because we pay taxes on "income" not "wealth."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2016, 11:48:44 pm »
Tax returns* do NOT show "liquidity." They do NOT show "property valuations," or "liquid assets."

Tax returns do show depreciation against investment property.  So there'd be a pretty good overview of where Trump's "worth" is located.

And, income from IRA's or stocks or mutual funds would indicate just how "liquid" Trump is in terms of assets he could sell off if he had to come up with cash quickly.

On the contrary, there are plenty of clues to liquidity on a tax return.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:49:42 pm by sinkspur »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2016, 11:50:32 pm »

Very true.  Tax returns are really only good for showing taxable income, and that's about it (and taxable income isn't necessarily economic income either).

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2016, 11:54:11 pm »

Yes they do with a deep dive because they will show the valuation of property and assets that are taxable against income and interest. It then just takes a bit of calculating to know the level of liquidity he has.

Example, if he writes off property taxes on $9.2 billion in property but shows just $500K in taxable interest on investments and $2 million in taxable income, and that is consistent over the past 10 years, one can easily determine it is unlikely he has $25 million in liquidity. It would show his value is based on non liquid assets, not on actual liquid cash.

It won't be exact proof, but it will be enough to raise questions. (and yes, this is something I do know about)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:55:39 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2016, 12:01:16 am »
Very true.  Tax returns are really only good for showing taxable income, and that's about it (and taxable income isn't necessarily economic income either).

You mean that it's possible to take in quite a lot of money none of which comes under the current definition of "income"?  Well my goodness!  Who would have EVER thought of that? /s
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2016, 12:22:34 am »

Good for you. You will vote for an amoral, misogynistic, demagogic bigot who has no principled core and will blow with the wind politically.

I don't care for Cruz either, but he's a saint next to the orange haired gutter rat from New York.

Interestingly enough, truth_seeker preached comity on this board before he swallowed the Trump lies.  He quoted Dale Carnegie, always wanting us to be nice to each other...

Now he supports the most vulgar, debased human being to ever run on the Republican ticket, and has lost his desire to be civil entirely..

Trump has a very bad effect on some very good people........ and it's a shame to see.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2016, 12:32:55 am »
Interestingly enough, truth_seeker preached comity on this board before he swallowed the Trump lies.  He quoted Dale Carnegie, always wanting us to be nice to each other...

Now he supports the most vulgar, debased human being to ever run on the Republican ticket, and has lost his desire to be civil entirely..

Trump has a very bad effect on some very good people........ and it's a shame to see.

Ah yes I see you talking about me, behind my back. You are so very superior to others, aren't you?

The truth is no secret. I don't like Cruz. He reminds me of religious phonies, like Marjoe Gortner, Benny Hinn, Jim Bakker, etc.

I always have my guard up for those types, because there are so many of them.

You appear to me to be similar to Cruz, talking down to others from your religious "moral" perches.

Interestingly enough. What you just obtained was called a "counterpunch." You started a personal attack/insult.

That is mainly what takes place on this site. Teenage personalities, in adult bodies.

Patting themselves on the back, for holding certain superior views, and putting down people with opposing views.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 12:50:19 am by truth_seeker »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2016, 12:42:55 am »
Ah yes I see you talking about me, behind my back. You are so very superior to others, aren't you?

The truth is no secret. I don't like Cruz. He reminds me of religious phonies, like Marjoe Gortner, Benny Hinn, Jim Bakker, etc.

You appear to me to be similar to Cruz, talking down to others from your religious "moral" perches.

Interestingly enough.

I'm not talking behind your back.  You're right here on the thread.

And I know that you look down on me.  You haven't hidden that from Day 1.

But at least you used to ask people to be civil to each other, and you've changed.

btw, I love how the expectation of integrity in a leader now leads to all kinds of name-calling from the Trump crowd.  It's not being on a moral "perch" or "high horse" nor being "sanctimonious" nor a "Pharisee" to find it problematic that a Presidential nominee is PROUD of his being a serial adulterer.

If merely voicing disgust at debauchery is now forbidden, the left has succeeded completely in brainwashing the American public with their so-called sexual revolution.

It's now dishonorable to expect honor from a leader.

These are sad days.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2016, 12:47:06 am »

Interestingly enough.

I'm agnostic and Cruz doesn't bother me one bit. I'm impressed with the man and his intellect.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2016, 12:50:26 am »

Actually depending on the circumstances we do pay taxes on wealth -- anytime you sell stocks, bonds, real estate, etc.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2016, 12:50:39 am »
You mean that it's possible to take in quite a lot of money none of which comes under the current definition of "income"?  Well my goodness!  Who would have EVER thought of that? /s

IRAs and 401(k)s don't show up on a tax return, except for the deduction for contributions to an IRA and distributions received later on.  In between there is no way to know what's being earned.  Also, one can have fairly liquid investments - investments that can be readily borrowed against or sold for cash - which do not throw off taxable income until liquidated.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2016, 12:51:53 am »

You hit the nail on the head.  Trump does have a very bad effect on some very good people!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2016, 12:57:53 am »
Actually depending on the circumstances we do pay taxes on wealth -- anytime you sell stocks, bonds, real estate, etc.
Or, in most states, if you own real property.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Bill Cipher

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2016, 01:23:29 am »

No.  You pay tax on the excess of what you get over what you paid.  That is income (an accession to wealth, clearly realized).  Even better, you get to deduct your losses.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2016, 01:28:55 am »
Yes they do with a deep dive because they will show the valuation of property and assets that are taxable against income and interest. It then just takes a bit of calculating to know the level of liquidity he has.

Example, if he writes off property taxes on $9.2 billion in property but shows just $500K in taxable interest on investments and $2 million in taxable income, and that is consistent over the past 10 years, one can easily determine it is unlikely he has $25 million in liquidity. It would show his value is based on non liquid assets, not on actual liquid cash.

It won't be exact proof, but it will be enough to raise questions. (and yes, this is something I do know about)

If Mr. Trump needed to raise a few hundred millions of US dollars, I expect he could pledge his net equity in various properties, as collateral and borrow the money.

Don't you?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2016, 01:29:04 am »
You hit the nail on the head.  Trump does have a very bad effect on some very good people!

Some VERY good people.

I hope they go back to being themselves after the Trump fever leaves them.....

Bill Cipher

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2016, 01:31:45 am »
If Mr. Trump needed to raise a few hundred millions of US dollars, I expect he could pledge his net equity in various properties, as collateral and borrow the money.

Don't you?

I doubt if he could raise hundreds of millions, but I'm pretty sure he could raise tens of millions.  Then again, none of us knows the state of his holdings; it's possible that most of them are already subject to debt, so that he couldn't borrow that much more.

A-Lert

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2016, 01:32:20 am »

You will vote for an amoral, misogynistic, demagogic bigot who has no principled core and will blow with the wind politically.

Nah, Bill Clinton isn't a candidate.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2016, 01:33:00 am »
Nah, Bill Clinton isn't a candidate.

That's pretty funny!

(I mean it, I'm not picking fights).

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2016, 01:37:51 am »
Actually we pay taxes on the income from profits made on those sales.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2016, 02:14:37 am »

Don't you?

But that would raise the question. He wouldn't be funding with his own money but with loans that he is required to disclose but isn't. If he gets personal "investments" from others to him that he turns around and loans to the campaign, it could be viewed as an illegal attempt to bypass campaign finance limits and disclosure rules... See the Clinton/Charlie Trie scandal.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:16:36 am by AbaraXas »