Author Topic: FactCheck.Org Says Bill Nye Is A Scientist Because He Has Honorary Degrees In Science  (Read 672 times)

rangerrebew

FactCheck.Org Says Bill Nye Is A Scientist Because He Has Honorary Degrees In Science

http://downtrend.com/71superb/factcheck-org-says-bill-nye-is-a-scientist-because-he-has-honorary-degrees-in-science

April 19, 2016| by Brian Anderson

Bill Nye is a dorky kid’s show host who liberals have pegged as an expert “scientist” on global warming despite his complete lack of credentials in the felid or science in general. Recently Sarah Palin questioned Nye’s scientific bona fides and liberals hit the roof. Luckily FactCheck.org has stepped in to settle the matter. It turns out that Bill Nye is a scientist because he has honorary degrees in science. No, I did not make that up.

Last week, Sarah Palin said, “Bill Nye is as much a scientist as I am. He’s a kids’ show actor; he’s not a scientist.”

FactCheck decided to put that statement to the test by first showing that Palin is not a scientist. I guess they missed that she wasn’t claiming to be a scientist. Her point was that Bill Nye isn’t a scientist either.

On that, FactCheck is caught reaching:

Nye described himself as part of the “scientific community.” Since his background is in engineering… he explained, “engineers use science to solve problems and make things.”

I’m using science to write this article. There’s all kind of science that went into making the laptop I’m using as well as the science of the Internet that I’m posting it on. I guess that makes me a scientist as well. In my expert scientific opinion, man-made global warming is a hoax!

The truth of the matter is that the only notable things Bill Nye has done with the science of engineering was to invent a sundial and an abacus. Of course those things were actually invented thousands of years ago by people who are not Bill Nye, so maybe that’s not all that impressive. If I invent the wheel tomorrow, will people praise my scientific genius? I hope so, because that’s what I have planned.

But wait, Nye’s scientific credentials get even more underwhelming:

Nye has a B.S. in mechanical engineering from Cornell. He also has six honorary doctorate degrees, including Ph.D.s in science from Goucher College and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

Wow! Bill Nye has honorary degrees in science? I suppose that makes him an honorary scientist, right? His only legitimate degree is in engineering, which doesn’t not make him a scientist. Maybe FactCheck figures since “B.S.” stands for Bachelor of Science, that makes him a scientist. Then again “BS” also stands for bullshit.

Under this lie of thinking Kevin James is a scientist because he is a member of Motion Picture Academy of Arts and Sciences. Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 was more of a science experiment than anything Bill Nye has ever done.

But hang on, Sarah Palin has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Idaho in communications and journalism. According to the school’s website, that degree is also a Bachelor of Science degree. So in reality, according to FactCheck’s criteria, Sarah Palin is as much of a scientist as Bill Nye.

Here’s a real fact: Bill Nye has never published a peer-reviewed paper or study on any subject, which is something that scientists do. He doesn’t work in any scientific field and he hasn’t studied science at any level. He, therefore, is not a scientist.

And then here’s a really big fact that liberals can’t seem to understand: not only is Bill Nye not a scientist, but he is also not a climate scientist. There is nothing in his background that would suggest he is an expert or even reasonably informed on the subject. They can pretend like his engineering degree makes him a scientist, but they have no argument in claiming he is a climate scientist.

Bill Nye is not an expert on the climate. When he says man-made global warming is real, he is simply offering his opinion as a bow-tie wearing dork who thinks he invented the sundial. And you know what they say about opinions: they are like assholes; everybody has one and they all stink.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 01:19:16 pm by rangerrebew »

geronl

That shows you how reliable some of these fact checking sites are

Offline Frank Cannon

Nye is a fraud and about as influential as Ed Begley Jr.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Pithy and accurate.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The Science Guy started as a stand-up comic routine. However, he does have an engineering degree, more than most science teachers in public schools these days.
This is one of those silly things we can't win. It is about as silly as calling out Lavar Burton for not having a literature degree when he was on Reading Rainbow.

Call him out on his stupid statements but don't split hairs over if engineering is or isn't science.

rangerrebew

Call him out on his stupid statements but don't split hairs over if engineering is or isn't science.

If you call him out don't expect a change.  Engineers tend to be very left brained which means they see their world like they see mathematical equations - rigid, orderly, and the solution is available only by doing a process.  That is fancy way of saying they don't see gray areas or nuances.  If you argue with a heavy left brainer, it is a waste of time as they will drag you down to their level - which is devoid of common sense.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

If you call him out don't expect a change.  Engineers tend to be very left brained which means they see their world like they see mathematical equations - rigid, orderly, and the solution is available only by doing a process.  That is fancy way of saying they don't see gray areas or nuances.  If you argue with a heavy left brainer, it is a waste of time as they will drag you down to their level - which is devoid of common sense.

Agreed, but that makes Nye an unusual engineer - the math just isn't on the side of global warming.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The Science Guy started as a stand-up comic routine. However, he does have an engineering degree, more than most science teachers in public schools these days.
This is one of those silly things we can't win. It is about as silly as calling out Lavar Burton for not having a literature degree when he was on Reading Rainbow.

In all fairness, you don't see Levar Burton using his position to impose draconian restrictions on the way we live our lives.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Wingnut

I played a Doctor on TV once.  Please refer to me as Dr. Wingnut,  Colorectal Surgeon.

My consult to Bill Nye:

Bill,  We removed then colon blockage and were successful reattaching the mass it to your neck.  You may experience some anal leakage for several weeks.

rangerrebew

Old Bill has a condition very common to liberalism, optical rectalitis.  That is when you have your head up your ass and have a shi**y outlook on life.