Author Topic: UK mine-hunting vessel's commander is only female crewmember  (Read 492 times)

rangerrebew

UK mine-hunting vessel's commander is only female crewmember

http://www.stripes.com/news/middle-east/uk-mine-hunting-vessel-s-commander-is-only-female-crewmember-1.404796

Joshua Scott/U.S. Navy
By Raji Unnikrishnan
Gulf Daily News, Manama, Bahrain
Published: April 16, 2016

Five NATO mine-hunting ships set off Tuesday on a deployment in the Baltic Sea, part of the alliance's efforts to strengthen its presence in Europe's ex-communist east as members there worry about Russia's intentions in Ukraine.

BAHRAIN (Tribune News Service) — A British woman is making waves in the Gulf at the helm of a mine hunting ship.

Lt. Cmdr. Maryla Ingham is commanding officer on the Bahrain-based HMS Middleton (M34), one of the vessels charged with finding and destroying explosive mines in the Gulf.

She took over command of the Hunt-class mine countermeasures vessel last June, becoming the only woman on board, having been the first female navigator on the UK Royal Navy’s largest ship HMS Ocean. 

“I joined the navy by accident and I just made that decision, which I feel was a good one 17 years down,” she told the GDN.
ADVERTISING

“The people-focus aspect is brilliant.

“Every day I get the power to change somebody’s life or make someone feel, which makes me feel real good and I am proud about working in the navy.”

However, she said the challenges she faced as a woman were exactly the same as those encountered by her all-male, 45-member crew – such as missing family.

“Challenges for sailors, both men and women, are the same – while the time away from family is the biggest of all,” said Lt Cmdr Ingham, 38.

“Missing normal things like local newspapers from home, sometimes the food.

“All the more it is memories you miss like birthdays and Christmas, while those with small children miss their first steps in life.”

Ingham grew up in South London and joined the Royal Navy as a direct graduate entrant in 1999.

Her husband, Cmdr. Andrew Ingham, is also a naval officer – as well as a former commander of the HMS Middleton.

The ship finds and destroys threats on the seabed using high powered sonar, remote underwater vehicles and divers.

It arrived in Bahrain in November with a mission to keep international shipping lanes safe and is one of only eight such vessels in the British Navy.

The vessel was among 22 ships taking part in the International Mine Countermeasures Exercise (IMCMEX) 2016, the world’s largest military exercise at sea which continues until April 26.

“We are ready for this exercise and we hope that we work in an integrated manner along with our partners from other countries in the search for mines,” Lt Cmdr Ingham said.

“I am incredibly proud of my ship’s company and what they have achieved, often in difficult and demanding circumstances. I am particularly grateful to their families who form part of the wider naval family and who support my sailors every day from afar.”

The UK last November started work on a new naval base in Bahrain in a sign that military ties between the two countries were strengthening.

Lt Cmdr Ingham said the UK’s military presence here reflected its commitment to the region.

“The fact that we – British industry, British shipping and international shipping – are here shows our genuine interest in the area and we are committed to the region,” she said.

She added that the naval exercise currently underway was necessary to build relations between coalition partners operating in the region.

“We find this exercise vital as we need to train together to work together, as we need to understand each other’s strengths and weaknesses,” she said.

“This will help to work towards creating a strong team, as we need to understand the ship and people we work with as there is always culture difference.

“We need to build the trust and understanding and this is what we are achieving through such exercises.

“By operating in the international waters, we are building capability for everybody and this shows the international community is united in keeping the sea lines of communication open and is committed.”
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:02:03 am by rangerrebew »