Author Topic: Kasich tells supporters of religious freedom laws: 'Get over it'  (Read 2591 times)

HonestJohn

Re: Kasich tells supporters of religious freedom laws: 'Get over it'
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2016, 02:32:50 am »
HonestJohn wrote above:
"Which means that it's unenforceable as no one carries their birth certificate around... "

Wrong, son.

In 1976, I went to the local City Hall, and got a wallet-sized copy of my birth certificate, certified with a seal.

I've carried it on my person since then. And will until I'm gone.

Do you have any other statements of certainty to offer us?

It shouldn't be too hard to scan a copy, right?

For I have a very hard time believing you.  A notary seal for that would be as big as the wallet certificate itself.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 02:33:32 am by HonestJohn »

Bill Cipher

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2016, 02:33:47 am »
Just remember, if you want the ability to deny sales of an items sold in your establishment based on religious belief...

... you allow the teenaged Muslim working at McDonalds to refuse you a bacon-topped burger.

And allow the Somali taxi-driver to refuse service to a blind person with a seeing-eye dog.

That is pushing it a bit to the extreme, but it still gets the essential point across.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2016, 02:57:56 am »

Do you have any other statements of certainty to offer us?

He may not, but I do: The Mets will win the World Series this year.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2016, 03:15:18 am »
I don't know, which is why I asked the question.  I think that as a matter of pure theory, one can say that if you decide to do something as a business - that is, commercial/profit motivations predominate - then your conduct in that area is subject to a lot more acceptable regulation - and so people who decide to bake cakes as a commercial endeavor can be regulated in ways that may not be completely comfortable with their personal religious beliefs.

What if they went into business way before this "human rights commission" business came into being?

I don't care if gays get married but there simple is no way that a six figure fine is appropriate for refusing to bake a bleep cake. No way.

Bill Cipher

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2016, 03:33:35 am »
What if they went into business way before this "human rights commission" business came into being?

I don't care if gays get married but there simple is no way that a six figure fine is appropriate for refusing to bake a bleep cake. No way.

The folks in the racial discrimination cases went into business before the anti-discrimination laws they violated were enacted.  I'm not saying that a $150k fine is acceptable, and I'm not saying they should get a pass, at this point I'm saying it's not unreasonable to impose regulations on a commercial enterprise that also happen to touch on the private religious beliefs of some participants, and that the question may be the appropriate quantum of penalty.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2016, 04:17:58 am »
HonestJohn wrote:
"For I have a very hard time believing you.  A notary seal for that would be as big as the wallet certificate itself."

It's a free country (for a little while longer, at least).
You're free to believe whatever you wish to believe.

But I'll offer you a warning about that. It's known as:
Fishrrman's credo:
"Reality is what it is. It is not what we believe it to be."
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 01:55:15 pm by Fishrrman »