Author Topic: Trump’s Winning Colorado Gambit  (Read 3659 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Trump’s Winning Colorado Gambit
« on: April 14, 2016, 01:52:55 pm »
April 14, 2016
Trump’s Winning Colorado Gambit
By Brian C. Joondeph

Colorado held its delegate convention last weekend. When the sweet smelling smoke cleared from Colorado Springs, Ted Cruz walked away with all 34 delegates. A real Rocky Mountain High for Ted’s campaign. Not so much for Colorado Republicans who felt robbed of their voices and votes by a convoluted delegate allocation process put in place last August by the Colorado GOP.

Accusations are flying across the airwaves. Donald Trump saying “Great anger – totally unfair.” Ted Cruz answering by calling out the Drudge Report for its convention coverage, “The attack site for the Donald Trump campaign.” What’s really going on here?

Is this the GOP establishment stealing delegates on behalf of Ted Cruz? Or a true grassroots effort by the Colorado GOP in support of their candidate? Did Cruz bend the rules, doing something illegal or unethical or did he simply understand the rules and use them to his advantage? Is this another example of Trump and his campaign flying on pomp and personality, being either uninformed or too lazy to learn about the nuanced Colorado delegate selection process? Or is all of this a calculated gambit by the Trump campaign to parlay the Colorado delegate loss into a first ballot nomination in Cleveland?

I believe this was a calculated move on the part of the Trump campaign, to skip Colorado and now make hay over the delegate selection process. Knowing and believing are two different things. Since I am not on Mr. Trump’s morning call list after he phones in to Fox and Friends and Morning Joe, I have no inside knowledge, only some healthy speculation.

The first scenario is that Trump was blindsided by the Colorado caucuses. Colorado has always been a caucus state but last August changed the rules requiring the state’s delegates support the candidate that wins the caucus vote. The result was Colorado forfeiting a role in the early nominating process. And leaving Republican voters without a voice in who the state ultimately supports at the national convention. The Denver Post Editorial Board felt this move to be a Colorado GOP blunder.

This rule change was made last summer, at a time when Donald Trump was gaining popularity by telling America if he was elected, “We’ll have so much winning, you’ll get bored with winning.” Or how his trade deals would be so much better than anything we have now. Or how he would surround himself with the best people. So how could he misinterpret or overlook the Colorado delegate rules? Is this his idea of “winning”?

Trump also hired Paul Manafort a few weeks ago. “Manafort is a ‘master’ of delegate counting and convention strategy, according to those who have worked with and against him.” Wouldn’t he understand the Colorado delegate allocation process better than anyone?

Yet Donald stayed away from Colorado, cancelling his appearance at the Colorado GOP convention. Leaving the door wide open for Ted Cruz, with his encyclopedic knowledge of campaign processes and minutiae, to waltz in and capture all the delegates. Not steal, capture. Cruz used the rules to his advantage much as Trump has used bankruptcy laws to reorganize several of his struggling businesses.

On the surface this makes no sense. Trump is a smart guy. His new campaign guy is a delegate guru. How could he make such a blunder? Especially after losing handily in Wisconsin, his fourth loss in a row. His Wisconsin loss shifted the primary momentum to Cruz, according to beltway pundits.

The second scenario is that Trump’s Colorado loss is no mistake but instead a carefully planned gambit to regain the momentum and use the loss to his advantage.

After Wisconsin, it seemed Trump lost his mojo. Reaching 1237 delegates before the convention is less and less likely. Not that Cruz will reach the magic number either. But Cruz has another plan in mind, capturing enough delegates to win a second or third round victory. Never mind that the GOP establishment has other plans in mind if neither Cruz nor Trump win on the first ballot.

So why wouldn’t Trump fight for every delegate, especially since his odds of winning the nomination are currently only 56 percent? Simple. He is trading Colorado’s 34 delegates for 95 in New York and many more in Connecticut, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey.

Even if Trump attended the Colorado GOP convention, he might have picked up a few delegates, but given some of the hardball efforts to stifle Trump supporters, it’s unlikely Trump would have won more than a handful. What he did win was the chance to deliver a populist message, one that has served him well thus far, that Colorado voters "had their vote taken away from them by the phony politicians." He is on the news shows and on Twitter promoting his outsider status, fighting against the establishment and elites who “rigged” the delegate selection process.

This is a message many voters, especially those inclined to support Trump, agree with. Play by the rules, pay your taxes, support your political party and get bupkis in return.

What a brilliant way to regain his electoral momentum, a week before the big New York primary. Give Ted his Colorado victory while building on the probability of a huge win in New York. Current polls show Trump with anywhere from 51 to 60 percent of the vote in New York. GOP kingpin Karl Rove believes, “Trump will get 90 of 95 delegates in New York.” Not to mention neighboring northeast states where a big NY win could translate into a bonanza in these delegate rich states.

Trump showing up and competing in Colorado would have made his “rigged” meme much less effective. Instead he is back on offense, dancing with the populist lady who brought him to the big party. As the Donald himself said, “Sometimes your best investments are the ones you don’t make.”

Brian C Joondeph, MD, MPS, a Denver based retina surgeon, radio personality, and writer.

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2016/04/trumps_winning_colorado_gambit.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Trump’s Winning Colorado Gambit
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 01:54:14 pm »
Just getting ready to post this....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 02:01:40 pm »
Trump always changes the subject after an embarrassing loss, so he rightly figured that the sore loser routine would work for him with his Trumpkins.

It did.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/04/trump-wuz-robbed-213812
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 02:11:13 pm »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 02:11:30 pm »
The Pee Wee Herman defense: I meant to do that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hNIX7V21pU

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 02:54:10 pm »
Perhaps it IS merely making lemonade from lemons.

Isn't that exactly what we expect from a President?  To find a way out of the 'mess' he's facing or been handed?

He sweeps New York?  Say hello to 'President Trump' people.   :laugh:   The entire Northeast will follow in the general.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 03:21:02 pm »
Wow. What a cobbled together bunch of garbage to prop up the loser Trump. Even citing Rove as an authority.

I guess this writer didn't have a lot of time to think through this while he was doing cataract surgeries.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 03:27:40 pm »

Isn't that exactly what we expect from a President?  To find a way out of the 'mess' he's facing or been handed?

He sweeps New York?  Say hello to 'President Trump' people.   :laugh:   The entire Northeast will follow in the general.

The current president does that all the time, blaming everyone but himself for every mess.  It's either Bush's fault or Republican intransigence. He wants to bring the Country together, but those darn white racists just won't let him.  At least such petulance from the bully pulpit won't be new to Americans.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Bill Cipher

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 03:35:01 pm »
One word: baloney

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 05:52:30 pm »
The current president does that all the time, blaming everyone but himself for every mess.  It's either Bush's fault or Republican intransigence. He wants to bring the Country together, but those darn white racists just won't let him.  At least such petulance from the bully pulpit won't be new to Americans.

When he speaks at the Convention, I'm hoping he'll be able to cobble together some DETAILS on some of his plans on dealing with the economy and getting 95 million of us back in the workforce. 

I still believe he knows EXACTLY what he's doing and that he's not "winging it".   

Have to.    :shrug:

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 06:17:38 pm »
When he speaks at the Convention, I'm hoping he'll be able to cobble together some DETAILS on some of his plans on dealing with the economy and getting 95 million of us back in the workforce. 

I still believe he knows EXACTLY what he's doing and that he's not "winging it".   

Have to.    :shrug:

Well, he did say he would.  Both front-runners on our side of the aisle have some deep holes to dig themselves out of.   'Course this coming from someone who just ended a sentence in a preposition... :laugh:
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 06:22:43 pm »

You're dreaming, bro.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 06:26:24 pm »

Because he doesn't believe in those things, and he just doesn't care.........  **nononono*
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 07:01:59 pm »
You're dreaming, bro.

Geez, I hope not, my friend!    :laugh:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 07:02:23 pm »
Well, he did say he would.  Both front-runners on our side of the aisle have some deep holes to dig themselves out of.   'Course this coming from someone who just ended a sentence in a preposition... :laugh:

:beer:

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 07:36:18 pm »

In order:

1) You can't talk about what you don't know all the time, and there's nothing
in the Constitution on which Donaldus Minumus can riff and hustle the way he
does on the campaign trail with "issues."

2) What's he going to do---talk about the monster he's played no small part in
suckling all those years?

3) What would he know about markets? You think he does his own shopping? ;)

4) Because he doesn't like to admit error.

5) Because you can talk what you know all the time. ;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 07:37:19 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 08:02:53 pm »
In order:

1) You can't talk about what you don't know all the time, and there's nothing
in the Constitution on which Donaldus Minumus can riff and hustle the way he
does on the campaign trail with "issues."

2) What's he going to do---talk about the monster he's played no small part in
suckling all those years?

3) What would he know about markets? You think he does his own shopping? ;)

4) Because he doesn't like to admit error.

5) Because you can talk what you know all the time. ;)

I would say that is a more than fair analysis!  :beer:

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 08:03:28 pm »
Because he doesn't believe in those things, and he just doesn't care.........  **nononono*

Nah... methinks you're wrong.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 08:06:18 pm »
Nah... methinks you're wrong.

Methinks if that were true we would be able to find SOME evidence somewhere but we can't!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 08:08:19 pm »

Methinks if that were true we would be able to find SOME evidence somewhere but we can't!

I gots to believe, Earl!   :0001:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 08:14:33 pm »
I gots to believe, Earl!   :0001:

No you don't! You just think you do!  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 09:53:42 pm »
No you don't! You just think you do!  :beer:

:beer:

He says he's going to go down in history as the greatest President this country's ever had!      :laugh:

...and I believe him.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 09:54:12 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 11:38:17 pm »

This is  a different political season than political junkies are used to.  There is a mood in this country similar to Eliza Doolittle's in My Fair Lady when she finally screams:  "Words, words, words!  I'm so sick of words"!  Substitute "words, words, words!" with "politics, politics, politics!" and this primary season will make more sense to you. 

Americans want something done, and they want someone who will know how to change the course we're on because he sees and understand the problems and brings the acumen to solve them.  Americans are tired of waiting, they want action and they want it now. 

A dissertation on the Constitution will not bring back jobs, beat the hell out of ISIS or secure US borders. 

Repudiating "liberal" positions is not necessary because the voting public knows there is one political party; one class of ruling elites.  And it is corrupt and must be replaced.  Labels simply do not matter this time around.

Donald Trump does speak of free trade--often and extensively.  His point is you cannot have "free" trade unless it is "smart" trade.  Americans know the country is being ripped off.  TPP is the latest installment of a globalist agenda.  Americans are saying "no more!".  Americans are voting for smart trade with American interests protected and the man who knows what it will take to get it done.

Donald Trump also has policy position papers.  If you want to roll around in the weeds, Bigun, visit his website read the details.  They're all there.

The list of questions you posted, while clever, is an echo from yesterday and just not applicable to what Americans need answers for today.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 11:40:06 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 11:58:26 pm »
This is  a different political season than political junkies are used to.  There is a mood in this country similar to Eliza Doolittle's in My Fair Lady when she finally screams:  "Words, words, words!  I'm so sick of words"!  Substitute "words, words, words!" with "politics, politics, politics!" and this primary season will make more sense to you. 

Americans want something done, and they want someone who will know how to change the course we're on because he sees and understand the problems and brings the acumen to solve them.  Americans are tired of waiting, they want action and they want it now. 

A dissertation on the Constitution will not bring back jobs, beat the hell out of ISIS or secure US borders. 

Repudiating "liberal" positions is not necessary because the voting public knows there is one political party; one class of ruling elites.  And it is corrupt and must be replaced.  Labels simply do not matter this time around.

Donald Trump does speak of free trade--often and extensively.  His point is you cannot have "free" trade unless it is "smart" trade.  Americans know the country is being ripped off.  TPP is the latest installment of a globalist agenda.  Americans are saying "no more!".  Americans are voting for smart trade with American interests protected and the man who knows what it will take to get it done.

Donald Trump also has policy position papers.  If you want to roll around in the weeds, Bigun, visit his website read the details.  They're all there.

The list of questions you posted, while clever, is an echo from yesterday and just not applicable to what Americans need answers for today.

In other words, neither you nor Trump can articulate coherent policy positions.  "Got read my website" is the answer of a coward.

Trump never talks about policy because he can't. He doesn't debate any longer because he doesn't want to get cornered on policy like Rubio and Cruz did at the last debate.  He can't be embarrassed like that again.

37% of Republican voters have voted for Trump so far.  He may get over 50% FOR THE FIRST TIME in his home state. 

The Trump supporters, the Bernie supporters could care less about policy. They're in love with the candidates, who could say or do just about anything and keep their allegiance.

That's a cult, RIV.  A hideous display of emotion in service to A MAN.  In the case of Trump, the man is a vulgar, nasty, vindictive con artist who knows just how to maneuver the feelings of gullible people.

Your TCG rally threads are reminiscent of teenage girls screaming and squealing over an aging rock star with all the gushing and cringing commentary ("Look. There HE is!!")

Maybe you're just putting on a show, like your boy is.  I sure hope you are.