Author Topic: Kasich on Gay Marriage - "We Have a SCOTUS Ruling ... Let's Move On"  (Read 7256 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: Kasich on Gay Marriage - "We Have a SCOTUS Ruling ... Let's Move On"
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2016, 04:17:00 am »
The only reason the federal DOMA was brought up -- passing nearly unanimously, was because of the SCOTUS overreach on the sodomy case.  If the founders only knew they had written an invisible "right" to do such a nasty and unnatural thing, giving no state a say in the matter. 

Frankly, anti-bigamy laws have been federal and Utah was not allowed to join the union until they banned polygamy.  So there has been precedent for Congress to handle the issue.  NOT THE COURTS!!!!!

I find your position revolting.

So it's perfectly OK to directly violate the religious liberties of others?

That's revolting.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2016, 04:18:26 am »

No State has a right to pass a law that violates an individual's rights under the Supreme Law of the Land.

Yes, we already know you take an activist liberal jurist's view on the role of the federal government in equal protection, even if not literally named in the Constitution, while Scalia and myself take a strict view of the 10th Amendment and states' rights ruling over federal action.

I just find it funny that you think you're some sort of strong conservative because of your belief in a larger role for the federal government to criminalize behavior not listed in the Constitution.  You're not a conservative at all from what I've read.  You take an activist view on the Constitution being able to be changed without an actual amendment.  That is Scalia's point on this case, and I'm not surprised neither you nor Mr. Conservative himself understand this point.

What is your opinion on SCOTUS rewriting part of the ACA to make in "Constitutional?" 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 04:21:20 am by AnybodyButaDemocrat »
Guess who got the NYT's endorsement in the GOP primary?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2016, 04:19:01 am »
Because you do not define perversity accurately.

I know exactly what you're talking about, and they've still not being indoctrinated in perversity.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2016, 04:20:02 am »
Who is them exactly?

If you want to make sodomy a crime, the number of heterosexuals charged would outpace homosexuals by about a million to one.

The only person that has been jailed in this entire issue is that Christian woman in the South who said she wouldn't sign off on a gay marriage license.

But I'm the one who is for bigger government?  You're a hoot!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2016, 04:20:52 am »
Yes, we already know you take an activist liberal jurist's view on the role of the federal government in equal protection, even if not literally named in the Constitution, while Scalia and myself take a strict view of the 10th Amendment and states' rights ruling over federal action.

I just find it funny that you think you're some sort of strong conservative because of your belief in a larger role for the federal government to criminalize behavior not listed in the Constitution.  You're not a conservative at all from what I've read.  You take an activist view on a the Constitution being able to be changed without an actual amendment.  That is Scalia's point on this case, and I'm not surprised neither you nor Mr. Conservative himself understand this point.

I believe in the Constitution and individual rights. That's the role of government, to protect the rights of the individual from the whims of majorities in both the voting public and Congress.

I believe in expanded freedom over expanded government. Obergefell expanded freedom.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2016, 04:22:06 am »
The only person that has been jailed in this entire issue is that Christian woman in the South who said she wouldn't sign off on a gay marriage license.

But I'm the one who is for bigger government?  You're a hoot!

When did she become the law?

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2016, 04:22:26 am »
I believe in the Constitution and individual rights. That's the role of government, to protect the rights of the individual from the whims of majorities in both the voting public and Congress.

I believe in expanded freedom over expanded government. Obergefell expanded freedom.

Expanded freedom is jailing someone who says it violates their religious beliefs to marry gays?

That's an odd definition of freedom.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2016, 04:23:37 am »
I explained it in an earlier post.  The only interest gov't has in marriage is that heterosexuality produces children.  Homosexuality is not equal.  The only "equal" thing is an orgasm (let's not get into that..).  But the gov't does not give benefits to all orgasms.  The argument is often made that it is about "love."  If that were true, other love should be recognized, and not just sexual love.  See my earlier post.

The Lawrence case was a staged event used for the very purpose it served.  Then the marriage lawsuits were shopped and practiced in the states until they could make it though the federal courts and overturn the state DOMAs, state amendments and federal DOMA.  The whole thing is just appalling -- a horrible abuse of power by the courts and a corruption of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights where some people's opinions now have special protected status while others, the ones holding historical norms, have lost their rights and are now being punished by the same government that is suppose to protect them.

So sterile old heterosexual farts should be denied a wedding license?

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2016, 04:24:24 am »
It blows my mind that so many people refuse to budge on gay marriage. You talk about the country being in peril and how important it is to win elections yet you cling onto not allowing gays to legally say they are married? Are you serious? What about the economy? What about the really important stuff that really impacts this country?
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2016, 04:25:59 am »
When did she become the law?

You're sounding a lot like a fascist.  You have no problem with her being jailed, yet in a previous post you're talking about violating religious freedom?

I'm on the right track with thinking Kasich and the GOPe are the real fascists.  As they say with liberals, listen to what they are calling you, because they are the ones actually thinking that way.

What are your thoughts on SCOTUS rewriting the ACA in order to make what was passed as an obviously unconstitutional bill "constitutional?"  Because they wouldn't have changed it had it been passed as constitutional, so hey let's just rewrite this part here and POW it's the "law of the land!"

You trust the government.  I don't.  Stop projecting your big government beliefs on others and me.  I doubt you even have the self-awareness to see what you're doing.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2016, 04:27:10 am »
Expanded freedom is jailing someone who says it violates their religious beliefs to marry gays?

That's an odd definition of freedom.

Why don't you actually familiarize yourself with issues before discussing them in a public forum?

She was never forced to "marry gays", she stopped the county from issuing licenses to same-sex couples. She doesn't have that power.

She is perfectly within her rights to refuse to do a job that's contrary to her beliefs, but she had no right to stop the entire process for the County.

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2016, 04:27:55 am »
It blows my mind that so many people refuse to budge on gay marriage. You talk about the country being in peril and how important it is to win elections yet you cling onto not allowing gays to legally say they are married? Are you serious? What about the economy? What about the really important stuff that really impacts this country?

I'm pro-gay marriage, by the way.  My literal interpretation of the 10th Amendment makes it a state issue to me, though.  Same with my thoughts on Roe v. Wade.  Hillary herself slipped and called a fetus an "unborn baby" just a week ago and caught all kinds of hell for it from the insane left.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2016, 04:28:11 am »
You're sounding a lot like a fascist.  You have no problem with her being jailed, yet in a previous post you're talking about violating religious freedom?

I'm on the right track with thinking Kasich and the GOPe are the real fascists.  As they say with liberals, listen to what they are calling you, because they are the ones actually thinking that way.

What are your thoughts on SCOTUS rewriting the ACA in order to make what was passed as an obviously unconstitutional bill "constitutional?"  Because they wouldn't have changed it had it been passed as constitutional, so hey let's just rewrite this part here and POW it's the "law of the land!"

You trust the government.  I don't.  Stop projecting your big government beliefs on others and me.  I doubt you even have the self-awareness to see what you're doing.

She was jailed because she violated a Court order.

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2016, 04:30:40 am »
Why don't you actually familiarize yourself with issues before discussing them in a public forum?

She was never forced to "marry gays", she stopped the county from issuing licenses to same-sex couples. She doesn't have that power.

She is perfectly within her rights to refuse to do a job that's contrary to her beliefs, but she had no right to stop the entire process for the County.

And for that, she should be thrown in jail according to the fascist leftists.

Meanwhile, some states now violate federal law by allowing people in the state to smoke pot, and those laws are ignored by the same federal government.

Liberals are so selective in what is an outrage and what is not an outrage.  Pick and choose.  Pick and choose.

I'm still laughing at you thinking you're a "far stronger conservative" than Scalia because you take a liberal activist's view on redefining what the Constitution actually says.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2016, 04:36:00 am »

I'm going to guess that you've never actually read Roberts' opinion on King v. Burwell, you don;t seem like the type that actually reads things beyond a meme.

Here's the gist of Roberts' judgement:

In a democracy, the power to make the law rests with those chosen by the people. Our role is more confined—“to say what the law is.” Marbury v. Madison, 1 Cranch 137, 177 (1803). That is easier in some cases than in others. But in every case we must respect the role of the Legislature, and take care not to undo what it has done. A fair reading of legislation demands a fair understanding of the legislative plan.

Basically, Roberts is saying that the law was passed by those whom the people elected to make laws, in essence saying that if we want the ACA overturned, we should in turn elect people to do so.

I don't agree with the finding, but I understand that there must be a point when even the most contentious issues must be settled, and the nation allowed to move on.

That's the role of the SCOTUS.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2016, 04:37:44 am »

Meanwhile, some states now violate federal law by allowing people in the state to smoke pot, and those laws are ignored by the same federal government.

Liberals are so selective in what is an outrage and what is not an outrage.  Pick and choose.  Pick and choose.

I'm still laughing at you thinking you're a "far stronger conservative" than Scalia because you take a liberal activist's view on redefining what the Constitution actually says.

She was jailed for ignoring a Court order.

Going to jail is what happens to everyone who chooses to ignore a Court order.

Try not showing up for trial next time you get a traffic citation.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2016, 04:45:03 am »

Kim Davis IS a leftist. She's a a registered Democrat.

She's a member of the party that labels abortion as a "choice".

Her problem is not that she refused to issue a marriage license to same sex couples, her problems stemmed from the fact that she would not allow anyone in her office to issue them either.

How did the rest of the clerks working for her become subject to her religious beliefs?

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2016, 04:47:39 am »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline AnybodyButaDem

« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2016, 05:36:48 am »
I'm going to guess that you've never actually read Roberts' opinion on King v. Burwell, you don;t seem like the type that actually reads things beyond a meme.

Here's the gist of Roberts' judgement:

Basically, Roberts is saying that the law was passed by those whom the people elected to make laws, in essence saying that if we want the ACA overturned, we should in turn elect people to do so.

I don't agree with the finding, but I understand that there must be a point when even the most contentious issues must be settled, and the nation allowed to move on.

That's the role of the SCOTUS.

You didn't answer my question about SCOTUS rewriting a passed law in order to say it's constitutional.  As I said before, you're all over the map, but you never hit the destination.

Again, it's best we just stop communicating.  You already think I'm an idiot, and thought so early on, so in my mind that means you are a man of little substance and resort to childish insults when challenged on the opinions that you have convinced yourself are facts.

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2016, 05:59:22 am »
http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/john-kasich-sex-scandal-explode/#ixzz44cOKtEKJ

BOMBSHELL: John Kasich Has A Sex Scandal About To EXPLODE!?!

It is unclear why Ohio Governor John Kasich remains in this race. A self-described moderate who supports Obamacare and Common Core, Kasich has tried to be the liberal media’s favorite candidate for President.

He’s stumbled along the way, and right now he’s under intense pressure by the Republican establishment to drop out. His victory in Ohio against conservative businessman Donald Trump changed the delegate math, and he’s also taken just enough delegates away from Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) to be a problem for him, too.

And while Kasich has been married twice and has children, old rumors are being explored about his past. It appears almost all of Kasich’s inner circle seems to be homosexual moderate Republicans. That’s hardly a scandal, but what exactly are Kasich’s relationships with them?

Apparently, Kasich has a weekly dinner meeting with friends who happen to be gay, and lived with a gay man for years while serving in Congress. Is this all usual behavior for a married, straight male?

Here is the unverified email which has been circulating on political message boards. This is going viral just as the Republican presidnetial primary becomes the most controversial, just before the RNC convention in Cleveland, Ohio.

Subject: John Kasich and Gay Hypocrisy
    To: germanvillagegadfly@gmail.com

To Whom It May Concern:

Someone should be looking into the likely Republican nominee for governor. John Kasich is another one of the those “pro-family” Republicans who is gay. He’s voted against gay marriage and gay adoption but is well known to be a homosexual and to surround himself with equally hypocritical gays.

This has been an open secret for almost 18 years. Kasich is married with young twins, but he only recently was married.

http://www.newshounds.us/2007/08/30/john_kasich_avoids_pointing_out_craigs_hypocrisy.php

– While in Congress Kasich lived with his chief of staff, Don Thibaut (gay), in Washington DC for 14 years. This has been published extensively and a member of Congress even called for an investigation into it.

– While in Congress, Kasich used to fly home on Thursdays for dinner at an italian restaurant in Columbus called Rapollo’s. He dined every Thursday with the same two young men. A current Democratic state senator from Southeast Ohio used to wait on him regularly. Today, Kasich denies ever setting foot in Rapollo’s or even hearing of it.

– Don Thibaut now lives in German Village in Columbus. Kasich is a frequent after hours visitor there.

– Kasich’s campaign is being run by gay men. His team consists of Doug Preisse (openly gay). Preisse came out two years ago in a Columbus Dispatch article. He is also chairman of the Franklin County Republican Party. He is a protégé of Alex Arshinkoff, a notorious gay from Akron who chairs the Summit County Republican Party.

http://oshaughnessy.typepad.com/256/linked_files/Preisse_text.txt

Arshinkoff is also on the Kaisch campaign team. He has been pulled over by police after picking up a young man at 2:30am in Akron and soliciting him for sex. There is a police report and it’s been published in several papers. He’s also regularly spotted in gay bars in Cleveland. It is well known around Columbus that Arshinkoff made a
    sexual advance toward one of his local state senators while driving him in his corvette including groping his leg.

These issues are further complicated because not only did Governor Kasich oppose the Gay Marriage Amendment to Ohio’s state constitution approved by voters in 2004, but he now opposes any efforts to push back against the Supreme Court’s historic pro-gay marriage ruling. In fact, he has even attended gay weddings:

“The court has ruled, and I said we’ll accept it,” Kasich said last week in Cleveland during the GOP’s first presidential debate, in response to a question about how he would explain his position on same-sex marriage to one of his daughters if she were gay.

“And guess what, I just went to a wedding of a friend of mine who happens to be gay,” Kasich continued, drawing applause from a home-court audience at The Q.

“Because somebody doesn’t think the way I do doesn’t mean that I can’t care about them or can’t love them. So if one of my daughters happened to be that, of course I would love them and I would accept them,” he added, the applause growing louder. “Because you know what? That’s what we’re taught when we have strong faith.”

Via The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer

Personal lives should remain personal. But when people run for President, uncomfortable details about their personal life can leave the leader of the free world open to blackmail and other threats. That’s why these questions must be asked and answered.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2016, 06:11:45 am »
You didn't answer my question about SCOTUS rewriting a passed law in order to say it's constitutional.  As I said before, you're all over the map, but you never hit the destination.

Again, it's best we just stop communicating.  You already think I'm an idiot, and thought so early on, so in my mind that means you are a man of little substance and resort to childish insults when challenged on the opinions that you have convinced yourself are facts.

SCOTUS didn't rewrite a word of anything.

I'll show you the ACA before and after King, and you can show me where it was rewritten.

You really need to stop thinking in memes.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2016, 06:13:11 am »

Simple request.

Show me the ACA before King v Burwell and then show it to me after the decision, highlighting the parts rewritten by the SCOTUS.

A-Lert

« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2016, 08:29:07 am »
So HAPPY2BEWRONG is back with sex articles now about Kasich which are totally unfounded. From your post:  Here is the unverified email which has been circulating on political message boards.

Hmmm This is from an unverified email being sent???? Give me a break. First you post articles about Rubio supposedly being gay. And now about Kasich. Which, by the way, I could care less if he was.

Unverified? Like the claims that "Trump supporters" are making death threats to Colorado and Indiana delegates?

HAPPY2BME

« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2016, 09:20:04 am »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2016, 01:24:46 pm »
How do we get court rulings?  Because someone files a lawsuit.

**nononono* **nononono* **nononono*

VERY sad! Courts of Law render VERDICTS each of which are subject to appeal. The appeals court may uphold the lower court, reverse the lower court, or remand the case back to the lower court.

We held an entire revolution to rid ourselves of RULERS!

Except for this kind of course!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien